Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG... 1877 Indian Cents . 2 different coins... GRADES REVEALED !!!

robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 27, 2022 9:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello everyone... I just need some quick opinions on these 2 key date Indian cents in terms of the grade, and overall quality. Thanks !!!

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both look like authentic business strikes with the shallow N reverse.

The top coin looks to have AG3 maybe G4 details, the bottom coin looks G6, maybe VG8... I think I see remnants of some letters in LIBERTY...

Both look like decent coins for a circulated set... tough date to find nice, and heavily counterfeited!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

G4
    VG8

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

GD06
    VG08/10

peacockcoins

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

AG3
    G6

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

G-6
    VG-10

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with grades, but what is going on under the 2nd coin's ear? Looks like a separation is occurring. Not sure.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

AG
    G

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

G4, G6

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

G4, VG8

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

G4, VG8. I happen to own an example of this coin in NGC holders in those two grades and they compare with yours quite nicely.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm feeling G-4 with an outside shot at 6 and VG-8,

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

G6 vg10

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2022 4:20AM

The first one is a Good-4, barely.

The second one should be a Good-6, but as others have posted, it might be a VG in the holder.

The positive thing about both pieces is that they have good color and surfaces and are not corroded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would grade them a 4 and a 6.... Authentic... Good album coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Looks like no one got both coins right, some got the second one right.

The top pic is

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the ANACS coin better. Why would NGC designate a color on a VG coin? Is there any other color a well circulated bronze cent could be and still straight grade?

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:
    I like the ANACS coin better. Why would NGC designate a color on a VG coin? Is there any other color a well circulated bronze cent could be and still straight grade?

I agree. I was G-4 and VG-8 on those two

Tom

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at 4 and 6. The first coin does not have full rims, which is what I thought was needed for an 8 or even a 6. I was too conservative on the second coin.

• Options

I'm sorry, but I don't see VG8 on the first coin. It lacks a full rim...

The ANACS piece looks better... IMHO...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course TPGs tend to be lenient on key dates, but 1877 is almost always weakly struck towards 12:00 on the obverse, and the TPGs grade them as such. You can't always rely on LIBERTY on the headband and full rims.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears that all of us guessed the second one higher than the first, and we all undergraded the first one.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    It appears that all of us guessed the second one higher than the first, and we all undergraded the first one.

Heaven forbid the 1st one is over graded! :o

• Options

@Omegaraptor said:
    Of course TPGs tend to be lenient on key dates, but 1877 is almost always weakly struck towards 12:00 on the obverse, and the TPGs grade them as such. You can't always rely on LIBERTY on the headband and full rims.

True, but the second specimen at VG8 still has a full inner rim. That's why I initially said G6, but VG8 wouldn't shock me... and it doesn't.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

Or NGC over graded the first one.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, I would have called the first coin G4 and the second VG 8.

• Options

You would think NGC would grade it conservatively, and ANACS liberally. LOL !!!

• Options

The NGC coin looks nominally better than the ANACS coin from those pics.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like no one got both coins right, some got the second one right.

That depends upon what experienced collectors perceive as "right" for the grade. Just because a TPG puts a grade on something does not make it "right."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file