Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heres the Major CBH Mint Error I promised..

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2022 7:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found by my 5x Great Uncle, Franklin, on the cobbles near where he parked his buggy..

Comments

• Options

Alright, not a major mint error, I just wanted to get in on the fun around here.
    But any thoughts on what the 3 square indents on 5, 0 and C are??

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!

The tiny "F" on the reverse is for Fabulous (the precursor to the current Choice Very Fine grade designation) :p

The surfaces are wonderful and the die state is Cracktastic B)

As for those three funny square marks, those where from straightening the skeleton key that the owner had used as a pry tool, and couldn't get back into his garage without a little help

:D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:

As for those three funny square marks, those where from straightening the skeleton key that the owner had used as a pry tool, and couldn't get back into his garage without a little help

True!
    Great Uncle Franklin would often lock himself out of the carriage house when he'd come home from searching the buggy lot for mint errors...🥴

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bust half! And a fun die marriage. The reverse crack is cool.

Can't say why someone F'd with it. The blows to the lower reverse look direct (head-on) and of similar depth, size, shape, and distance from the rim. Could be anything. Not from prying or twisting, IMO.

5x-great uncle was just F'ing around again.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea on the three marks by the date.... but isn't this the second or third coin we have seen with the tiny F on the reverse? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The marks under the denomination are probably from die deterioration. Look at the top of the U and at the leaves for similar “stretch marks”.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Distinctive die crack on the Reverse: Die variety O-109. Very cool.

Also note the rim is broken down to the top of the first "S". According to my Parsley/Overton 5th edition, that's as-minted, not post-mint damage.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Those might have been prong marks left from a bezel. A lot of history in its 210+ years.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

if you want to confirm if that is damage on the rev, compare to other similar die states of that die/marriage.

cbh are obviously known for some seriously wonky metal flow issues, probably for a few reasons.

if i HAD to guess, i'd say it isn't damage but i could be easily mistaken if it is really old damage but with the aforementioned extreme number of examples of cbh with issues precisely like that area (on plenty of other areas) but aren't pmd, it isn't a hard conclusion to draw that it isn't pmd. my 2c

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

I think PMD rather than flow also.
    Keep in mind that these marks are super tiny, as is the supposed F stamp.
    I can't see any of this in hand without magnification.
    Just a sharp circ cam 109... really just goofing around, I don't think we're going to come up with anything here..🤤

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

The marks are where the pliers slipped while he was squeezing the staples
    after he put this treasure in a 2x2 ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file