Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908 Barber Dime. Thinking it is the FS-303.

sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

I bought this at an OCS to upgrade my Barber dime set. The date looked funny which I thought might be die abrasions, but now that I have it in hand, I am thinking it is the FS-303. It was tough to get the details in the 0 but the details of the 8 presented quite nicely under the microscope.

Thoughts?

Obverse:

Reverse:

Date:

Close up on the 08:

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks repunched but I can't seem to find any images of certified examples, so I can't really compare it to anything. What were you using as a reference?

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Cherrypicker's guide fifth edition.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Imho, that is not FS-303, or any of the other RPDs for the date.

For some reason that looks like a piece of thread in the "8" of 1908.

Really nice looking coin, btw. Also, GREAT close up photos!

• Options

Not a piece of thread. I hit it with some acetone to try to remove some of the tar like substance. I angled the microscope in a few new directions.

Maybe this isn't the FS-303. I am seeing what looks like two 0s and three 8s. But it could be I am seeing what I want to see.

Maybe it is just a damaged die under the numbers like I thought when I bought it.

0 close up:

8 on its side:

08 at an angle trying to emphasize the metal inside the numbers:

• Options

WOW! I stand corrected. Your new microscope photos show it much better. It is definitely a repunched something, but I have no idea.

From my perspective, this would be a new RPD discovery for the 1908-P dime. It is not FS-301, 302 or 303, imho. I still cannot figure out what is in the top loop of the "8." It seems more like the top of an "S" mintmark, rather than part of an "8." Any ideas?

• Options

Absolutely Re punched. Not sure on variety

• Options

Who does variety attributions for the Barber dime series?

• Options

@sumdunce said:
    Who does variety attributions for the Barber dime series?

Kevin Flynn would be a good start. I think he posts here, or used to post, but I do not know his forum ID. Also, if you contact David Lawrence Rare Coins in VA, they might be able to help with the attribution.

• Options

I forgot about Kevin Flynn's book ("The Authoritative Reference on Barber Dimes"). I checked it against the RPDs in the book and do not see a match there either.

Thinking it may not be real, I checked its weight and it was normal at 2.5 grams.

I am thinking it might be better to send it off to our host to get graded and then work on its attribution.

Thank you all for your help.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t it wonderful the road this journey follows! It’s really a lovely coin and let’s hope you’ve found a new variety.
    Good stuff. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that not an FS305? NGC lists one and the photo looks similar altho not as enlarged as yours.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry that would be an 08D, my bad, but it does look similar.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Perhaps @amwldcoin would be willing to share his experience with this variety.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sumdunce said:
    Close up on the 08:

fwiw. it looks like it may be a double punched digit under there and possibly not even 2 "8s."

it'll be fun to see where this one goes.

comparing an overlay, if not for anything but elimination, is something i'd do if the coin were mine.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2022 2:46PM

@numisma said:
    Perhaps @amwldcoin would be willing to share his experience with this variety.

I've never been a variety guy or collector! Unless it's major I can be cherry picked! :o

Best to ask dimeman! (hint, hint PCGS!) He has a few that aren't listed yet!

• Options

@amwldcoin I worry about @sumdunce sending his coin to PCGS for variety attribution. It will come back without the variety, or will say "minor variety" on the label. I think that this is a newly discovered die variety. Just take a look this great photo taken by the OP. There are a couple of things happening under the logotype. Strange.

@DIMEMAN what is your opinion on this coin? Is it a new die state or a very early die state of one of the three recognized FS RPDs for the 1908-P dime?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numisma said:
    @amwldcoin I worry about @sumdunce sending his coin to PCGS for variety attribution. It will come back without the variety, or will say "minor variety" on the label. I think that this is a newly discovered die variety. Just take a look this great photo taken by the OP. There are a couple of things happening under the logotype. Strange.

@DIMEMAN what is your opinion on this coin? Is it a new die state or a very early die state of one of the three recognized FS RPDs for the 1908-P dime?

The 1 variety of Half I don't understand why PCGS will not acknowledge other than minor variety is the 1907-S/S. It's a naked eye variety down to G-VG! On the other hand the 1911-S/S requires a loop even in high grades and is more times than not most likely un-attributable around VF.

Wondering if @dimeman will get a notification since he's banned. :s

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting ... and GREAT images!!

I am also interested in where those goes as I used to collect V.Ch.AU Barber Dimes and still have some stashed away.

I'm going to tag @JohnF, since maybe he knows something. After all, his Dad wrote the book.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    The 1 variety of Half I don't understand why PCGS will not acknowledge other than minor variety is the 1907-S/S. It's a naked eye variety down to G-VG

not that i know all the people involved but it isn't up to pcgs generally speaking but the FS guys. once they see it and see it deserves an FS # (based on whatever criteria they use), getting pcgs to attrib it is all downhill.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There definitely is something there under the 8... Those are great pictures. I will follow this thread to see if it is a new one... always fun to see our members get a new discovery. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file