Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw coin photoshoot with some slabbed coins and varieties as well

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was putting together a submission to PCGS and had these raw coins to take images of before they went off. Taking some of the advice of the members here, I tried to adjust a lot of my photos to take into account their suggestions. Enjoy!

For all of you photo gurus out there : as I was editing these, I made two discoveries. The first was that I cannot correctly straighten my coins in the lens as I'm taking the shots today, so some of the crops didn't come out right after I straightened the layers in photoshop. Sorry about that. The second was that my two lamps were slightly different colors, so when I put the two images side by side, the opposing colors are right next to each other. It docent seem to have a huge effect on the coins, but it makes the white balance seem off. They are the same with balance, I promise.

I also included the grades that I grade the coins of those that will be going off. Feel free to guess as well should you feel the need.

1890 Morgan (MS64)

1938 Nickel FS-403 (PR66)

1964 Acc. Hair Half (PR67)

1959 Half (PR65CAM)

1913 DDR Nickel FS-1802 (Unc. Details Polished)

Not going off- I took these images and wanted to share :smile:

1964 Nickel NGC PF67CAM

1956 Quarter NGC PF68CAM

1963 Quarter NGC PF67DCAM

1960 Dime DDR FS-801 NGC PF67- I made a really drastic lighting change here to highlight the doubling on the reverse. The reverse does have about double the contrast of the obverse, however.

1964 Acc. Hair Half NGC PF66CAM - interesting toning streaks on this one, any ideas what caused it? It almost looks like milk spots but it's not under magnification.

Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Washington Quarter Proofs in the NGC plastic are VERY good images, I think.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they look great!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work... Much better than I can do... No critique from me, I would not know lighting from light balance from color or any of the other technical aspects of photography. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file