Home U.S. Coin Forum

2021-W $5 Gold Eagle - Type 1 Premier 1 of 5, DCAM - 1 of 50 DCAM

Getting that certain labels often command higher prices, however haven't seen this one in the past. Pondering the "one of 5," and "one of 50." One of 5 what and one of 50 what? I'm definitely missing something.

869022 2021-W $5 Gold Eagle - Type 1 Premier 1 of 5, DCAM PRDC
869023 2021-W $5 Gold Eagle - Type 1 Premier 1 of 50, DCAM PRDC

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of five DCAM's at that grade....same with the 50.... Post the full PCGS slab number or the photo of the TruView. Cheers, RickO

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are dealer owned labels; the dealer sets the number of coins that will be slabbed in the label. In my opinion they are worth no more than if they were in a label available to the public.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2022 12:17PM

I am always amazed at the number of different labels that PCGS offers for modern releases.
    In the case of the 2021-W $5 AGE Type 1, there are 36 of them. Reference

Note - if it is relevant to anyone, I think the PCGS reported mintage of 16,200 is incorrect.
    16,200 'covers' the "product limit" for the single-coin option (21EE), and the four-coin set (21EF).
    It does not, however, account for the designer set (21XK).
    In short, I think that it should be 21,200.

Edited to add:
    The "mintage" issue on base coin #861202 was reported to PCGS on 4/22/22. Ditto for its T2 counterpart, base coin #883087. They e-mailed me, and reported that it was corrected, on 4/25/22. The "mintages" for both base coins, and their associated varieties, are now correct (i.e., 21,200 for T1, and 25,250 for T2).

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Premier Label belongs to the company that sells coins on the Home Shopping Network.

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 2:30PM

Thanks djm. Interesting, they are only submitting 45 of each of American Women silvers and receiving almost 100% 70s. I'm interested to see this label. Anyone have any idea what 1 in 50, and 1 in 5 means?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 of 50 Fifty products in that label/ holder.
    1 of 5 ? More of the same.
    These special labels are wrapping paper. Most of the tv folks pitch these limited ( Only 102 of the majestic label, with an ? Eagle) issue.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@younique said:
    Thanks djm. Interesting, they are only submitting 45 of each of American Women silvers and receiving almost 100% 70s. I'm interested to see this label. Anyone have any idea what 1 in 50, and 1 in 5 means?

I agree with @Jzyskowski1 . It is the maximum number of coins with that specific dealer label (e.g., "Premier 1 of X").

Consider PCGS #869022 (i.e., "Premier 1 of 5"). Per the "PCGS Pop Report", there are only five coins with this label in existence, and all of them are PR-70.

Source

FWIW, I also agree with @djm . While some may be willing to pay a premium for this type of label, I am not. To me, it is simply not a significant designation.

edited April 22, 2022 6:11PM

Good points. Here's mine. Seems deceptive and unscrupulous if seller claims these are 1 of 5, or 1 of 50, when in truth they are all one of whatever the sum total of 70s will be . Hope host drew the line and prohibited including "1 of 5" on the label. Not sure, have never seen the "Premier" label. Anyone have a link or photo?

@younique said:
    Good points. Here's mine. Seems deceptive and unscrupulous if seller claims these are 1 of 5, or 1 of 50, when in truth they are all one of whatever the sum total of 70s will be . Hope host drew the line and prohibited including "1 of 5" on the label. Not sure, have never seen the "Premier" label. Anyone have a link or photo?

Old thread with 2014 and 2015 ASE examples.
    2020 ASE example from Great Collections.

Appreciate it MetroD. Withholding my opinion about host allowing that practice at least until my submission returns.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file