Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1946 wheat penny with mint errors

I have a 1946 wheat penny that appears to have had something struck on the planchette- and it shows on the reverse side also… has mint errors above the N on reverse side, missing letters and numbers in the year as well as can not tell if there should’ve been a mint marker.. how do I go about finding out how much this is worth? I’m new to coin collecting and searching… Thank you

I don’t know how to upload photos here…

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait a couple days and you should be able to upload photos, but it's most likely post-minting damage.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is worth less than 5 cents.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

In all likelihood it is post mint damage and is worth one cent. Photos are needed to be sure.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amybs001 ... Welcome aboard. We will need pictures to give you a proper analysis. You can post a link, but it will be a few days until you can post a picture directly (forum protocol). From your description, do not be surprised if the conclusions are wear and Post Mint Damage (PMD). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage. That's why you see it on both sides of the coin.

No added value.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum... it takes a couple of days to get full user privileges to upload images, but as others have indicated... sounds like PMD...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Post mint damage. That's why you see it on both sides of the coin.

No added value.

Hello thanks for sharing that with us I never knew that I'm still learning so what if it's just on one side it counts possibly be a mint error.?

• Options

Sorry ment to put could it possibly be a mint error

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jessann1987.... Welcome aboard. The answer to your question is maybe - but usually it is Post Mint Damage (PMD). Study the minting process, get a copy of the Redbook - that is a worthwhile investment, covers all U.S. coins and describes errors. They are not common. Enjoy the forum and the hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jessann1987 said:
    Sorry ment to put could it possibly be a mint error

The only things that are mint errors are things that could happen in the minting process. 99% of what you see is generally damage after it left the Mint.

There are things to look for like strike-throughs that have indicators, but the list is rather long. Most valuable errors are not found in circulation as they get grabbed at coin rolling facilities.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file