Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The US Philippines Error Thread - With The Queen of USPI Errors!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2, 2023 9:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm fascinated by USPI errors as well as Republic coins using USPI designs. Please post any USPI or related design errors here.

I just had to post after running across this AMAZING DIE CAP.

I had to call this coin "The Queen of USPI Errors" as Lady Liberty is a Queen, not a King! Quite fitting given that the most monarch of the most powerful country with royalty has been Queen Elizabeth II.

Is this the Number One, top USPI error? I've been looking at these for a while and can't think of anything that comes close.

(1903-1904) US Philippines Administration Peso Die Cap Error
Designer: Melico Figueroa
Pedigree: Jonathan K. Kern
Grade: NGC AU58
Cert: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3748121-001/58/
Sale $41,125.00 on Aug 8, 2014: https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/3033-23359.s

Jonathan K. Kern is a coin dealer from Lexington, Kentucky:

https://jkerncoins.com/

Jonathan K. Kern
859-269-1614 for appointment
441 South Ashland Ave
Lexington, KY 40502

Heritage said:
USA Administration Reverse Die Cap Peso (1903-04) Mint Error AU58 NGC, Type of KM168. Obv. Female with hammer and anvil. Rev. Incuse impression of obverse. Excellent obverse definition, with minor hairlines, but little actual wear. The reverse has a ghostly image of the obverse, and both sides display varying shades of gray patina. This is the first dollar-sized capped die error (from any country) we have ever seen, either consigned to our auction or for sale in any other auction, or for private sale. This type error occurs when the struck coin sticks to the face of the upper die after the strike. Once the coin is stuck to the upper die, it becomes the new die. Every time the upper die falls, the coin is pressed further, and further, into a cap (or cup) shape. Capped die errors are often spectacular, depending on how many strikes have been involved. For this particular coin, there must have been numerous strikes, as the edges are raised at least 3/8 of an inch. Some may call this an Obverse die cap and not a reverse die cap as NGC has noted. By any name, it is an astounding, one-of-a-kind error.

From The Lexington Collection of Jonathan K. Kern

Imagine having this and the Virgil Brand 1886 Morgan Dollar Die Cap? This just sold for $160,312.50. Imagine what this USPI coin is worth now?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1067174/the-best-error-known-per-fred-weinberg-1886-morgan-die-cap-at-great-collections-mint-error-news

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yowzers!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is amazing....Great addition to your collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a spectacular deep die cap!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2022 8:52AM

@ricko said:
    That is amazing....Great addition to your collection. Cheers, RickO

It is amazing, but it isn't mine unfortunately! I just ran across it on Heritage and can only find one instance of any sale, back in 2014. When it comes up again, it's certainly a category leading coin to go for!

• Options
    edited April 10, 2022 11:33AM

Here's another amazing US PI error from Ray Czahor, who had an amazing collection of USPI error coins and a USAF 2nd Lieutenant stationed in the Philippines!

1903 US Philippines Peso Struck 10% Off center
    Pedigree: Ray Czahor
    Grade: NGC AU55
    Cert: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4922946-003/55/
    Sale: https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-J64K7/

Here's some info on Ray from the "Meet the Consigner" article:

https://www.stacksbowers.com/News/Pages/Blogs.aspx?ArticleID=ray-czahor-collection

Stack's Bowers wrote on December 18, 2014:
    Meet the Consignor, Ray Czahor

Ray started collecting coins and stamps in the early 1950s. After collecting over 5,500 world stamps, he quickly realized he hadn’t even scratched the surface, and traded all his stamps, albums, and catalogs to a couple for their United States coin collection. To this day, he has maintained his interest in U.S. type sets, Buffalo nickels, Standing Liberty quarters, Walking Liberty halves and U.S. currency. His interest in Philippine numismatics began when he was stationed there in 1963, while a newly minted 2nd lieutenant in the United States Air Force. He was fascinated with the history of the Philippines as it moved from Spanish rule through the United States’ administration to the Philippine Republic. He was interested in the governments’ varied impact on coins, tokens, medals and currency, including during the Japanese Occupation and Guerilla/Emergency notes. All areas of Philippine coinage had collectible interest for Ray, including the trials, patterns, varieties and low mintages that enhance the challenge of Philippine numismatics. Currently, Ray distributes an annual mail bid covering World War II books and all aspects of Philippine numismatics. He can be reached at cookiejarpi@verizon.net.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2022 2:29AM

Bought the 1945S Off Center in 2004 for exact same money a shiny new 2004D 50% Off Center Lincoln Cent would have run me. Always wanted USA Philippines striking error so this one got added to the archive

Daniel Carr coinage art deploying a real vintage obverse die that was double dated double struck in Silver

• Options
    edited April 10, 2022 1:16PM

Bought the 1945S Off Center in 2004 for exact same money a shiny new 2004D 50% Off Center Lincoln Cent would have run me. Always wanted USA Philippines striking error so this one got added to the archive

Very nice @LindyS! USPI has been traditionally at a discount to US coins so it's a good bang for the buck area!

Are you sure the Wilson Dollar restrike is silver? It looks copper from the photos. Different photos than the medal?

@LindyS said:
    Daniel Carr coinage art deploying a real vintage obverse die that was double dated double struck in Silver

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Put all my USPI errors in with Ray's stacks Bowers Auction. Some were on really good dates. Various kinds of.
    Result/ I took a bath. Biggest loss I ever took on a consignment.!I always liked them but does not seem others
    Feel the same way. AFTER THAT I got offered a box of at least 20 off centers of varying dates and degrees.
    I passed couldn't get excited about them sad!

But collect what you like.
    Years ago before I bought an error I was offered that off center peso at the same show that ( early 90's?) Ray Czahor bought it.
    As I recall it was $1K??

• Options
    edited April 10, 2022 4:03PM

@krueger said:
    Put all my USPI errors in with Ray's stacks Bowers Auction. Some were on really good dates. Various kinds of.
    Result/ I took a bath. Biggest loss I ever took on a consignment.!I always liked them but does not seem others
    Feel the same way. AFTER THAT I got offered a box of at least 20 off centers of varying dates and degrees.
    I passed couldn't get excited about them sad!

But collect what you like.

Sorry to hear that @krueger! Is your provenance attached to your pieces in the sale?

Collections with many rare items with a thin market should not be sold together in the same auction. The issue is that the few buyers in the thin market will not be able to absorb the collections so lots may go for low prices.

@krueger said:
    Years ago before I bought an error I was offered that off center peso at the same show that ( early 90's?) Ray Czahor bought it.
    As I recall it was $1K??

It sold for $2,640 in Ray's sale, right in the middle of the $2,000-$3,000 estimate.

I think USPI errors may still need some marketing to hit the mainstream. Hopefully it can ride the USPI wave of popularity @wondercoin and Justin are creating :)

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2022 8:26PM

True story-

Once upon a time, in a old Superior auction, a lovely USPI error came up for sale. Justhavingfun asked me to win the coin for him. I think it had a $50-$75 estimate in the catalog. I asked him what my max bid should be. He suggested $25,000.00 (never told me if that was before or after the BP and I never asked). Lol.

I stayed up all night to win the coin live for $69 all in. No chance I was leaving that bid with the book!!

An example of an auction price having no bearing on the true value of a coin at that very moment of the auction? But, rather the true value of what the underbidder is willing to pay plus 1 extra bid? A perfect example of what can happen when the ultimate buyer meets up with a “thin market” coin outside the auction process? Or, no moral of this story (other than maybe JHF seeing that his secret bids could be executed without “leaks”)?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2022 8:34PM

@wondercoin said:
    True story-

Once upon a time, in a old Superior auction, a lovely USPI error came up for sale. Justhavingfun asked me to win the coin for him. I think it had a $50-$75 estimate in the catalog. I asked him what my max bid should be. He suggested $25,000.00 (never told me if that was before or after the BP and I never asked). Lol.

I stayed up all night to win the coin live for $69 all in. No chance I was leaving that bid with the book!!

An example of an auction price having no bearing on the true value of a coin at that very moment of the auction? But, rather the true value of what the underbidder is willing to pay plus 1 extra bid? A perfect example of what can happen when the ultimate buyer meets up with a “thin market” coin outside the auction process? Or, no moral of this story (other than maybe JHF seeing that his secret bids could be executed without “leaks”)?

Wondercoin

Great story! It shows the mind of a true collector! I really enjoyed hearing about this side of JHF!

Do you remember what the error was?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could I ever forget!! Lol.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2022 8:40PM

@wondercoin said:
    How could I ever forget!! Lol.

Wondercoin

Haha. Bet you had some great memories with him over that coin!

Please post it some time!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited July 6, 2022 8:48PM

@pruebas said:
    Not an error but a trial strike. Philadelphia Mint. Struck on an oversized, copper, reeded edge planchet.

That's a really great looking piece! Congrats!

Do you know what the reverse says? It looks like "1 CEN'O" as an abbreviation for 1 Centavo.

Does it have a Judd or Pollock number?

I didn't see it on Cert Verification:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34616808

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Not an error but a trial strike. Philadelphia Mint. Struck on an oversized, copper, reeded edge planchet.

Fascinating!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Doublefaced 25centavo Philippine coin

This coin was included in a box full of old coins and stamps I acquired from the family of a deceased numismatist who emigrated to the US. I discovered it a few years after when I finally had the time to go through the whole box. I believe this is the only error of its kind, a "doble cara" coin with the same obverse and reverse. Attached are images of the two sides. I have a video of this coin.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nestorbonoan said:

This coin was included in a box full of old coins and stamps I acquired from the family of a deceased numismatist who emigrated to the US. I discovered it a few years after when I finally had the time to go through the whole box. I believe this is the only error of its kind, a "doble cara" coin with the same obverse and reverse. Attached are images of the two sides. I have a video of this coin.

Can we see the edges?

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a certified “doble cara” or more properly “doble cola.” It’s a 5c, probably 1964.

• Options

Interesting, though it seems quite a lot of money for such an imperceptible (to my eyes) error.

No doubt it will sell though.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

This error was presented to a couple of auction houses and ended up at SB.

Super rare error and great tag but the understrike is only slightly visible…

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@pruebas said:
    Here’s a certified “doble cara” or more properly “doble cola.” It’s a 5c, probably 1964.

Intrigued and encouraged by your post of your doble cola 5 centavo coin. Do you have any idea of its value. I would also like to get PCGS certification of my 25 centavo 1962 doble cara coin, but don't know how to go about it and its cost. Would greatly appreciate your advice.

• Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@nestorbonoan said:

Can we see the edges?

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nestorbonoan said:

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@nestorbonoan said:

Can we see the edges?

Sorry but it looks like two coins that were shaven down and joined together, also called a magician’s coin. Not an error.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@nestorbonoan said:

@pruebas said:

Intrigued and encouraged by your post of your doble cola 5 centavo coin. Do you have any idea of its value. I would also like to get PCGS certification of my 25 centavo 1962 doble cara coin, but don't know how to go about it and its cost. Would greatly appreciate your advice.

@nestorbonoan judging by the seam on the edge, your coin is a made-up fantasy as was mentioned above.

Before (potentially) sending it to PCGS, you should save some money and have a few local experts (dealers? advanced collectors?) inspect it in person and render their opinions. Maybe bring it to a coin show to get those opinions.

If you are in the Philippines, it would cost quite a bit and be quite a hassle attempting to get it certified. No sense if it's an easy to spot fake (which it appears to be from the photos). It would be wasted money on your part.

I hope this helps.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@nestorbonoan said:

@pruebas said:

@nestorbonoan judging by the seam on the edge, your coin is a made-up fantasy as was mentioned above.

Before (potentially) sending it to PCGS, you should save some money and have a few local experts (dealers? advanced collectors?) inspect it in person and render their opinions. Maybe bring it to a coin show to get those opinions.

If you are in the Philippines, it would cost quite a bit and be quite a hassle attempting to get it certified. No sense if it's an easy to spot fake (which it appears to be from the photos). It would be wasted money on your part.

I hope this helps.

@pruebas said:

@nestorbonoan said:

@pruebas said:

I hope this helps.

@pruebas said:

@nestorbonoan said:

@pruebas said:

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice. Would like to show this coin to knowledgeable collectors for validation. Do you or anyone in this group know and let me know when and where the next meeting/auction of the Numismatic & Antiquarian Society and Bayanihan or any reputable collectors group. Thanks.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    This error was presented to a couple of auction houses and ended up at SB.

Super rare error and great tag but the understrike is only slightly visible…

Almost sounds like it was peddled around to see if any company could generate interest. I think it was a mistake to start at a $9,000 reserve.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nestorbonoan said:
    Thank you for your advice. Would like to show this coin to knowledgeable collectors for validation.

Your pictures show a seam on the edge. Based on that, the validation is complete: The coin is not real and has no value.

The only way that answer would change is if the coin does NOT have a seam on the edge. I don't see how that would be possible. Your pictures are pretty clear that the seam is there.

• Options

@pruebas said:

Interesting, though it seems quite a lot of money for such an imperceptible (to my eyes) error.

I was wrong. It didn’t sell but was withdrawn.

Anyone know why?

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@pruebas said:

I was wrong. It didn’t sell but was withdrawn.

Anyone know why?

I’m curious about this as well. Is that even an option for an auction house to withdraw a lot just hours prior to the live auction? Gives a very bad look to Stacks Bowers as well as the coin itself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file