Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First year Liberty Seated Dollar NEWP

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2022 8:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1840 SLD.

The NGC Census shows 54 known in all MS grades at NGC. PCGS Population shows just 35 known in all MS grades at PCGS. Just 89 coins in all MS grades from BOTH services (not accounting for crossovers and crack outs). MS examples only exist due to sheer LUCK and happenstance. Even though it's a first year of issue. which are normally saved, these coins weren't. This was due to either lack of collector interest, the fact that most people couldn't afford to put one away, OR that these were too similar to the earlier Gobrecht Dollars, so nobody felt inclined to do so.

It has a VERY LOW mintage of just 61,005, which is in the top third of low mintages for the series. A good many of these were used for international trade, thus sent over seas, and ultimately melted.

Liberty Seated Dollars are impossible to find, especially, with nice, clean surfaces, so when I see them; I jump at the opportunity and am not afraid to stretch. Could be DECADES before you find another nice example. I don't intend to ever finish this set but I will simply buy the keys (and other nice specimens), when they become available and, someday, maybe I'll have a nice Box of Twenty.

These are SO scarce, thus I feel that they are undervalued. I simply don't see a downside from an investment standpoint.

Thanks for looking. Any thoughts are always welcomed and appreciated.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice first year example!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original coin.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the new piece!

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, congrats.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has a fantastic look, congrats and thanks for sharing.

• Options

Very nice

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking dollar!! One I would love to own.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous example!

I have an 1840 in my type set, as I like first and last year examples when I can get them. But mine is nowhere close in comparison to yours.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK so I wasn’t expecting much when I opened the thread but damn - I like it!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    OK so I wasn’t expecting much when I opened the thread but damn - I like it!

That’s high praise from someone who knows - even if his username isn’t seateddollarnut. 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow... B)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    wow... B)

Dito

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice seated liberty dollar... Great detail and just a couple of tiny marks on the reverse. Excellent coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! My example happens to be an 1840 also albeit a lower grade.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very attractive Seated Dollar!

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2022 5:29AM

@Walkerfan said:
    Liberty Seated Dollars are impossible to find, especially, with nice, clean surfaces, so when I see them; I jump at the opportunity and am not afraid to stretch. Could be DECADES before you find another nice example. I don't intend to ever finish this set but I will simply buy the keys (and other nice specimens), when they become available and, someday, maybe I'll have a nice Box of Twenty.

These are SO scarce, thus I feel that they are undervalued. I simply don't see a downside from an investment standpoint.

Thanks for looking. Any thoughts are always welcomed and appreciated.

Nice looking coin!

Congrats!

How long was it between purchasing this coin and your previous LSD?

I just have 2 so far for my type set, a motto and a no-motto.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's beautiful. :)

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it too.
    The whole series is tough. Lots of junk out there.
    Congrats!

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a coin I'd like to own. When I first started coins in 71-72 I got on a Seated Dollar kick and had found quite a few dates.
    Even 60's. :o
    Should have stuck with it but got jaded too soon.
    I still like the type better than any other US coin.
    :)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is so much nicer than the large majority of Seated dollars of various dates, grades and conditions!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a GREAT coin. The absence of any heavy marks and the originality of luster and surfaces as they appear is just superlative for a Seated Dollar, especially a first year.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2022 12:49PM

Thanks, everyone!

The coin is an MS 61 but looks MS 63 quality to me. I was attracted to the smooth, original surfaces and great strike. It is a bit dark in hand but I think it still looks very good. It has the right skin for a 182 year old coin and I have seen much worse. I have even seen a lot of Proofs that look this way. I have found that people in the SLD community prefer this over blast white.

Thanks to @tradedollarnut for the benediction--that was a pleasant surprise and also to @MFeld who is always there for me, whenever I need his opinions and/or advice.

I'm still learning about the series but I feel more confident, every day. :)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

Wow-- that coin is extraordinary! One of the most beautiful of that date I have ever seen. Wonderful find!!

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold two AU 58 Seated dollars with that same look to a discerning forum member and I regret letting them go. I hope the collectors who live and die by graysheet bid will realize that they won't ever own gorgeous coins like this until they realize the rarity and value of unmolested early type.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome 1840. I love collecting Liberty Seated Dollars. One of the best and most challenging series there is.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin! great rims and so few marks. outstanding.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most beautiful coin. Thank you for allowing us to view it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file