Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will Westpoint quarters go up in value?

There are 2 million of each "W" quarter, this is a low mintage but it's not insanely low. People are saying prices will continue to go up, but without a precious metal backing I don't see this as the case. What do ya'll think?

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope
    Hope
    Hope
    That's all we can do!
    <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the price sticks to it. We shall see

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

High grades yes, low grades not so much.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

My crystal ball is broke, I'll get back to you on that.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Nope. More are being discovered in change every day which will make the value go down.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

With them actually being released into circulation I think there’s a shot. It’s somewhere between a true modern semi-rarity and a proof because they were sought after from the beginning. Probably a lot of high grade ones got taken out early, but still some rolling around in vending machines and change jars and drive-thrus.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    Nope. More are being discovered in change every day which will make the value go down.

Yes, but just how many are left out there?
    People like me are hoarding all we can.
    I'm working on finding my 112th.
    Although, more than half of those were found super early!
    Not so easy, nowadays.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

The W quarters have held their value. If you find one, your investment is $0.25 plus the time you spent looking for it.

Right now, if you find one in the wild or CRH a W quarter is worth more than twice as much as a Silver quarter 😉

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

For most W quarters, I think that they will decrease in value, but not by too much. For W quarters that are graded 66 or higher, I think they'll hold their value, and likely increase in value. That's just my two cents

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭

I gave up trying to find them as banks that used to let me have all I wanted now won't even let me have a roll.
    I won't complain as I have sold every one I got and made some decent money on them.
    I can remember getting over 100 in some of the boxes I opened.
    I also remember them selling in the $75 to $100 range when they first started showing up in rolls at my local banks.
    Good luck guys in the future as I am too old to be part of what happens 20 years from now.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options

Two million is a lot of coins when everybody is finding them as soon as they come from the mint so its up in the air what will happen. I went through this with the 2009 Lincoln errors and made substantial money as I was in early on and found a ton of them. You can't even give them away now.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found 25 CRH in the last 14 months. I also bought (probably bought at way tooooo much) some nice raw quarters and a good # of graded ones. Some are MS66 and MS67, but most are MS65 /64. Hopefully they will appreciate in value and in my lifetime too.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Two million is a lot of coins when everybody is finding them as soon as they come from the mint so its up in the air what will happen. I went through this with the 2009 Lincoln errors and made substantial money as I was in early on and found a ton of them. You can't even give them away now.

But how many of them were there?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

the novelty is wearing off

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

But how many of them were there?

Less than 2 million.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The popularity and thus the price for these W quarters in high grade will be helped greatly as these are required for registry sets as well as having slots for them in the albums. The comparison to the 2009 Lincoln is an apples to oranges one as that is a variety and not required to complete a registry set or album.

Mid MS are likely to fizzle out in few years as collector demand moves on to another series. Lower grade examples that have seen some circulation, like the kind that are being found now in change, are only worth a couple of bucks to any seasoned collector, and I would think that soon there will be very little to no premium for them.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reality check:
    Want to find out how much your typical "W" quarter is really worth take it to your local coin shop and ask them how much they will give you for it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CentSearcher said:
    For most W quarters, I think that they will decrease in value, but not by too much. For W quarters that are graded 66 or higher, I think they'll hold their value, and likely increase in value. That's just my two cents

Only if you bought it.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2022 1:18AM

@joeykoins said:
    :D
    Approx. 1 Hr. after posting my previous post. Just found while CRHunting!

My #112 W

Rough, but gorgeous.
    <3
    I'll never stop.
    :D
    Com' on guys, still not bad for being in circulation, maybe for 3 years?

And your argument is that they should increase in value becauae you found ONE HUNDRED TWELVE of them. Yup. Definitely. Anything that one person can find 100+ must be rare and can only increase in value.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2022 2:43AM

@mr1874 said:
    Reality check:
    Want to find out how much your typical "W" quarter is really worth take it to your local coin shop and ask them how much they will give you for it.

Reality check.....local coin shops...who cares what they will pay. Check out Ebay.

Raw W quarters sell every day for way over face value and more than double the value of a silver quarter 3 years after being circulated by the Mint😎

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @joeykoins 112 is great! I've got to give mine a count, I think I'm close to that. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not done any quarter roll searching.... I do have a couple, from generous forum members. Still looking for my first W quarter in the wild. Shopping with cash and checking my change. Just like old time coin collecting when I was a kid.... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I finally found a W quarter in the wild !😉🦫🙀
    April fool’s no W for me🥲

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

The S mint business strikes are rarer, I believe. Granted, they were sold as uncirculated by the mint, but based on mintage they are somewhat comparable and as far as I know they aren't particularly hot commodities.

No offense to anyone, but if the people who are hoarding them are the ones hyping their rarity and perceived value, then that's a red flag. When the people who don't have any are talking about how rare and desirable they are, that's when you'll see big price increases.

• Options

@JBK said:
    The S mint business strikes are rarer, I believe. Granted, they were sold as uncirculated by the mint, but based on mintage they are somewhat comparable and as far as I know they aren't particularly hot commodities.

No offense to anyone, but if the people who are hoarding them are the ones hyping their rarity and perceived value, then that's a red flag. When the people who don't have any are talking about how rare and desirable they are, that's when you'll see big price increases.

They do sell on eBay. But the question was up/down in the future. I don't think there are 2 million clad quarter collectors out there, so.....

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

can you get a raw W quarter for $5 delivered?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    can you get a raw W quarter for $5 delivered?

Doubtful right now.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@mr1874 said:
    Reality check:

Reality check.....local coin shops...who cares what they will pay. Check out Ebay.

Raw W quarters sell every day for way over face value and more than double the value of a silver quarter 3 years after being circulated by the Mint😎

I hate to say this, but "way over face value" isn't exactly exciting for any coin. The question is how many are you (and @joeykoins ) buying at market rates. There are a lot of coins worth saving if you find them in circulation (face value), but do you think they are a good value today?

• Options

@Onastone said:
    I don't think they've all been released. With Covid cycling through the past couple years affecting everything and the so-called "coin shortage", I have a feeling there are still pristine bank boxes peppered with high grade W's. Just my two cents....or 25 cents!

Having been pulling these quarters from day one of them being released I feel the uncirculated ones have all been found. Granted these are not like the 09 pennies as there are a limited number of each one {2 million}, that is a big number of coins when the largest amount of them have already been found. I feel the average price will settle in at between $5 and $10 after a couple of years. If you found them yourself, like I did, you either made money or will in the future but if you paid big money you can kiss it goodbye in the long haul. It was just another gimmick by the mint.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since this is a cupronickel coin, and has a reported mintage of 2 million each, I do not see a big increase in value over the coming years.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2022 6:58AM

Raw W quarters sell every day for way over face value and more than double the value of a silver quarter 3 years after being circulated by the Mint

I was shocked to learn that the local coin shop pays $8 apiece for them if uncirculated. I think they have an outlet to unload them fairly quickly though. I suspect that TPG grading tons upon tons of "W" quarters for the ebay crowd is why turnaround times for collectors of classic coins they want graded are so awful. My son has been waiting over three months to get his seated liberty half graded and back in his hands.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s the cheapest one on a quick search of eBay. 🤨🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited April 2, 2022 7:57AM

@mr1874 said:

Raw W quarters sell every day for way over face value and more than double the value of a silver quarter 3 years after being circulated by the Mint

I was shocked to learn that the local coin shop pays $8 apiece for them if uncirculated. I think they have an outlet to unload them fairly quickly though. I suspect that TPG grading tons upon tons of "W" quarters for the ebay crowd is why turnaround times for collectors of classic coins they want graded are so awful. My son has been waiting over three months to get his seated liberty half graded and back in his hands.

Complete sets of 2019 or 2020 W quarters are still selling for between $90 to $125 on Ebay.

There were vendors at the Whitman Coin Show in Baltimore selling raw W quarters for between $20-$40.... they paid me $10-$11 a piece for my raws.

Time will tell if their value will increase but it's obvious that the demand for the W quarters remains consistent 2-3 years later😎

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a quick search, the lowest price I saw being offered was $13.25, the lowest actual sale price was $7.00.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I see the W quarters to be worth around $10 for UNC and $5-$7 for AU in the future. I really like what the US mint did with the W’s and will continue to search and keep everyone that I find as I think they’ll always be worth more than a quarter.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Here’s the cheapest one on a quick search of eBay.

And not even in a slab. Mebbe I go into the "W" quarter bizz. For $15, I would put it in a CW Premier holder.

Apparently, the '50-D nickel lesson has been lost to the ages.

$15 today, $.75 tomorrow.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    I did a quick search, the lowest price I saw being offered was $13.25, the lowest actual sale price was $7.00.

To be fair, your statement is a bit misleading because you didn't provide your search parameters.

There are so many ways to search prices on Ebay for current live listings and completed listings. 🤔

• Options
    edited April 2, 2022 8:09AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@MasonG said:

There are so many ways to search prices on Ebay for current live listings and completed listings. 🤔

You're right- there are many ways to search. The actual lowest price could be much lower.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2022 8:18AM

@MasonG said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@MasonG said:

You're right- there are many ways to search. The actual lowest price could be much lower.

Since you want to go there in a negative way......

Please provide the link to the $7.00 completed listing and I challenge you to provide another link for a W quarter sold for "much lower".

Good luck finding one and if you do I am ready to provide an explanation for why it sold for such a low price because it will be the exception to the rule.😎

• Options

@daltex said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@mr1874 said:
    Reality check:

I hate to say this, but "way over face value" isn't exactly exciting for any coin. The question is how many are you (and @joeykoins ) buying at market rates. There are a lot of coins worth saving if you find them in circulation (face value), but do you think they are a good value today?

Yes😎

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

No negativity, just a fact- the lowest price you can find with a quick search is not necessarily the lowest there is to be found.

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Please provide the link to the $7.00 completed listing...

I was wrong- it's lower than $7.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334296355802?hash=item4dd59d93da:g:E40AAOSwxPBh5yDJ&amp;LH_BIN=1&amp;nma=true&amp;si=aC9gRBqDaz5Q049iLUXZX5PqFdY%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;nordt=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options

@MasonG said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

No negativity, just a fact- the lowest price you can find with a quick search is not necessarily the lowest there is to be found.

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Please provide the link to the $7.00 completed listing...

I was wrong- it's lower than $7.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334296355802?hash=item4dd59d93da:g:E40AAOSwxPBh5yDJ&amp;LH_BIN=1&amp;nma=true&amp;si=aC9gRBqDaz5Q049iLUXZX5PqFdY%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;nordt=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thank you for the link. I researched the listing and it is from what I would classify as a newbie Ebayer. Started in 2020 and has 129 feedbacks.

In my opinion as a veteran Ebayer (I started in 2002 and have over 3500 feedbacks) this seller listed this too low with a Buy it Now and free shipping so it was bought (most likely very quickly after it posted) by a buyer who got a great deal. More importantly, this coin was listed as "Circulated" and not Uncirculated which condition always affects pricing.

To be clear, the coin was listed back in January and the seller listed his future W quarters as auctions instead of Buy it Nows and most sold for much higher. To be fair, a couple of his W quarters sold for $8 plus $0.99 shipping fee but none sold for $6.99 with free shipping except for this listing.

I still challenge you to find an Ebay listing for a W quarter that sells for "much lower" than $6.99 and if you do please post the link.😉

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    I still challenge you to find an Ebay listing for a W quarter that sells for "much lower" than $6.99 and if you do please post the link.😉

No. There's no point, you've already made up your mind.

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Good luck finding one and if you do I am ready to provide an explanation for why it sold for such a low price because it will be the exception to the rule.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

No. There's no point, you've already made up your mind.

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Good luck finding one and if you do I am ready to provide an explanation for why it sold for such a low price because it will be the exception to the rule.

The same can be said about you!

Also, pretty sure your search will be in vain😂🤣

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file