Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Most Over the Top Original Mint Packaging?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2022 10:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Seems like there are two types of numismatists: Those who hate original mint packaging or those who really, really hate original mint packaging.

On the other hand: My fascination with early slabs probably has something to do with the lessons I learned 40+ years ago as a collector: Original is best. Unpolished, uncleaned, unrestored.
Ok, so you've got super original. Do you have the original clamshell, the original COA, even the original shipping box? Fine, but do you have the original receipt AND the original sales flyer?

But those of us who are committed to this level of originality know it comes at a price: Space. Especially for pieces that need to be kept in a safe deposit box.

I've tried for years to keep an open mind about US mint packaging. Especially for items that might be made more for the general population than our opinionated group.

@kiyote 's post about the first spouse gold pieces made me stop and revisit this issue.

From a presentation standpoint, the packaging of the first spouse pieces is actually pretty spectacular. The gold-embossed, polished chintz textured outer slip, the matching gold-embossed inner box. The sheet of tailored gauzy fabric to protect the third gold-embossed custom casket with red velvet lining: either the domed, high polished burled walnut or the redwood(?), with satin upper liner (the 4th gold-embossing!) and velvet lower liner, heavy cardstock COA, and finally, the clear acrylic capsule.

It's over the top. It's borderline gaudy (really not as bad as it sounds, though). It's so much expense, and space, and volume. It must have taken a team to design, and an industry to produce.

It's too much, isn't it? When we, as a rule, we like slabs, flips, or 2x2s?

I mean, how many pieces like this do you have "on display"? Are these the most over-the-top examples of original mint packaging? Are there others you'd nominate?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, but I don't like how much space it takes up. Get yourself some nice plastic sleeves to put the boxes in so they stay minty fresh. I personally would never display them.

In a world where every coin is kept in a plastic capsule from right after it's minted, the main thing to distinguish between coins is the packaging itself. The more perfect and indistinguishable the coins get, the more collectors will focus on these other things.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

If you can afford gold, you can afford a safe.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@Soldi said:

You're a Lightweight

LOL. And you're an amateur. Original and unopened. That's even the original printed receipt taped to the top :D

Ha! You should send it for a PCGS First Strike Label - it is probably eligible!

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@Weiss I actually like the First Spouse boxes. Also, the proof $50 Buffalo gold packaging is a nice wooden box with leather trim.

But as far as "over-the-top" mint packaging, I think the award goes to the Back to the Future 2015 1oz Silver Proof Coin DeLorean DMC-12 Set. The photo below is from collectons.com.

This thing has batteries in it. Crazy marketing strategy. We sold one of these at a local coin show two weeks ago (true story). I had to discount it $5 because the battery was dead!

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Agreed, over the top and upon receiving the Martha first spouse was brought back to the faux wood grain in vehicles back in the day. Have to say, never really cared for it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the most over the top mint package was the large monogamy box that housed the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle. It was much larger than it needed to be.

Having said that, I think that the wooden boxes gave the modern mint products some class. If the wooden boxes were too much, then the velvet covered snap boxes that housed the Proof American Silver Eagles were not.

The cheap, lousy thin cardboard boxes the mint uses now are an embarrassment. The mint is changing far more and delivering far less.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

was the large monogamy box that housed the 2009 Ultra High Relief

Hey @BillJones, you are not cheating on your other coins, are you?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The packaging really means nothing to me. I do keep it though... Not the receipt, or the shipping box, but the box they come in and the little card inside. That is more than enough for my collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every item I've bought from the mint, proof sets, uncirc sets, eagles, commems etc.. are still in ogp. I also keep an envelope for all the reciepts.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's how much the mint boxes mean to me: I have a large box full of various original mint packaging that I'll GIVE to anyone who will pay for the shipping. Any takers?

• Options

@numisma said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@numisma said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

*mahogany :)

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

I still don’t know what you are talking about. Many of the wooden boxes the mint has used to house it coins were made of mahogany. What’s your point?

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

I keep the boxes and coins separate.
    The coins are in the safe.
    The boxes are in larger boxes in the back of a closet.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I still don’t know what you are talking about. Many of the wooden boxes the mint has used to house it coins were made of mahogany. What’s your point?

You posted 'monogamy' not 'mahogany' hence the question about staying faithful to your coins from numisma:

"I think the most over the top mint package was the large monogamy box that housed the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle. It was much larger than it needed to be."

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most over the top packaging is the copper framed with velvet background double set of the Panama -Pacific Commemorative coins that had 10 coins so the five different obverses and the five different reverses can all be shown at the same time. Even without the coins, this frame brings a lot of money at auction.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

For your consideration ...

A Monnaie de Paris offering currently available from APMEX:

Link

It is a Dior tribute piece. The case is fashioned after the trunks used to store couture dresses. It includes a pair of gloves, and a bottle of 'Miss Dior' with the same edition number as the coin.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. That is way, way over the top, @MetroD !

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

UHR gold coin has my vote. That was a nice package.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original Government Packaging - Is it too much? I asked the very question in my first post five years ago.

"I love collecting coins but have begun to realize I'm also collecting lots of boxes. It seems like the government overpacks some coins. You open a box to find another box, and inside that one, another box (usually wooden), and finally find your coin. What is the real value of all these boxes anyways? They really eat up a lot of space. I almost want to separate my coins from the clutter and store the OGP in another room...that would certainly make looking at my coins much easier. These boxes are useful to hold certificates of authenticity and keeps the coins from rattling around. I guess I'll just keep my coins in the
    original box in a box in a box and then keep them all in a bigger box."

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2022 5:20PM

There were surely some coins packaged up in these

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file