Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the most exotic item in your numismatic collection?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2022 6:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

In terms of items that fall strictly within the parameters of the US Coin Forum, it would probably be my Lesher Referendum Dollar.

Lesher was a pioneer in Colorado. Among other vocations, he was a silver miner. He thought silver was trading below at its then roughly 65 cents per ounce value. So around the turn of the century, he began minting his own large silver coins, hoping to spur interest and business for the silver mines in the region. His earlier pieces were a full ounce, which he expected to trade at $1.25. The pieces made a year later were the same weight as a US silver dollar and bore a $1 valuation. He arranged for various businesses to exchange his pieces, the recipients of whom could either accept or reject the pieces as they wished (the "referendum" part of their name). He even allowed people to redeem the pieces at the local Victor, Colorado bank for "lawful" money in the same way a check was cashed. Interestingly, silver wouldn't reach his $1.25 target until 45 years after his death. Perhaps even more interestingly: none of the approximately 2,000 Lesher Referendum Dollars thought to have been made were ever redeemed.

But from my collection as a whole, it would probably be this large handmade, hand stamped woodblock print 100 Srang note from Tibet during WWII. The rough cut paper and colors are amazing, and it contains dozens of examples of Tibetan religious iconography. From Numistma:

Two holy men are seated under a lime tree. Two cranes, symbolizing longevity, and two deer symbolizing prosperity, lie on the ground in front of the Lamas. One holy man holds a magic bottle, which symbolizes fertilizing the Earth. Above are two flying bats, symbolizing felicity and fortune.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Tibet note is one you don’t see everyday. Very colorful and beautiful. I’m impressed.
    Thanks for sharing it👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that Civil War counterstamping tool was used primarily to produce dog tags for soldiers. At the time, Civil War soldiers bought their dog tags from a sutler. The poorer soldiers just wrote their name and hometown on a heavy piece of paper before going into battle so they would know where to ship their bodies back to.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I imagine that Civil War counterstamping tool was used primarily to produce dog tags for soldiers. At the time, Civil War soldiers bought their dog tags from a sutler. The poorer soldiers just wrote their name and hometown on a heavy piece of paper before going into battle so they would know where to ship their bodies back to.

Civil War dog tags really bring us back in time to what the country was like and what going into a battle was like. Imaging buying one of those and going into battle.

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    That Tibet note is one you don’t see everyday. Very colorful and beautiful. I’m impressed.
    Thanks for sharing it👍

Lots of fakes out there, so beware buying raw on this note. This is a piece that should definitely be graded by our hosts or ATS.

Incidentally, I bought the pop top of a version of this note, a 65 EPQ of Pick#11d (with one of the obverse seals printed upside down), on HA back in 2018 for what I thought was an absolute rip. I already had the example up top and figured I'd offload the 55 once the 65 arrived. But when I had a chance to compare the two side by side, I just wasn't thrilled with the 65. And the 55 spoke to me.

So I sold the 65 a month later to a dealer for nearly twice what I'd just paid for it :smiley:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2022 8:11AM

@BustDMs said:

A bust half dollar in an IOOF (International Order of Odd Fellows) medal.

That's awesome @BustDMs!

I've seen these struck on other coins too. It would be great to build a collection of these!

I wonder if we'll ever know who struck these.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BustDMs said:

I wonder if we'll ever know who struck these.

It must have been one strange dude.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no clue where to begin.

The first thing I always asked for when I went in a new coin shop was to look at the dealer's box of stuff he didn't know what it was. In "payment" I could tell him what much of it was and he'd sell me the rest for a song usually.

I went to a lot of coin shops.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course now days you can just duckduckgo two thirds of it.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    morsecodemorsecode Posts: 25 ✭✭

Great thread 😛

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool exotics everyone!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

This image just popped out at me screaming Roman numismatist.

• Options

Some really killer esoteric stuff here!

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2022 3:34AM

@Crypto said:
    Russian 3 rubles, only circulation platinum coins in world history

That's really cool and exotic!

I didn't know there was only 1 circulation platinum coin ever!

Also amazing that 3 rubles is worth approximately 3.5 cents today.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2022 5:06AM

@ChangeInHistory said:
    Never thought of as exotic, but...

Pressed wood medals are amazing.

It's really interesting to think about how amazing it was to create things at various expos, including aluminum medals, elongated cents, encased cents, and pressed wood medals.

In that era, it seemed medal technology were progressing every few years and the world was celebrating new inventions every few expos.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ChangeInHistory said:
    Never thought of as exotic, but...

Pressed wood medals are amazing.

It's really interesting to think about how amazing it was to create things at various expos, including aluminum medals, elongated cents, encased cents, and pressed wood medals.

In that era, it seemed medal technology were progressing every few years and the world was celebrating new inventions every few expos.

Someday I'd like to get the whole set. I believe there are 6 of them and have seen them in the original case/box.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2022 12:46PM

Maybe this leather pouch that will hold any coin up to the size of a gold dollar

Sorry for the lousy photo, but there are leather dividers in it. Edit for spelling.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    I think one thing that all coin collectors think about in the back of their minds is where has this coin been, and who has handled it?

Grissom was using the tip of the survival knife that had been included in the Gemini 3 spacecraft to carve GT-3 (Gemini-Titan, the rocket booster was a Titan rocket) into the dime. Young asked Grissom what he was going to do with the dime and Grissom said he didn't know. Young said, why don't you give it to Guenter? Grissom agreed, and handed the dime over to Wendt. So, not only was this the only dime flown on Grissom's second flight, it also was handled by Grissom, Young and Wendt.

So Skyman ... is this the dime?, if yes - is it yours? and if yes - how do you know it to a true story and the actual dime. I like the over all story line and it does add a nice dimension to an otherwise common piece

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@SkyMan said:
    I think one thing that all coin collectors think about in the back of their minds is where has this coin been, and who has handled it?

Grissom was using the tip of the survival knife that had been included in the Gemini 3 spacecraft to carve GT-3 (Gemini-Titan, the rocket booster was a Titan rocket) into the dime. Young asked Grissom what he was going to do with the dime and Grissom said he didn't know. Young said, why don't you give it to Guenter? Grissom agreed, and handed the dime over to Wendt. So, not only was this the only dime flown on Grissom's second flight, it also was handled by Grissom, Young and Wendt.

So Skyman ... is this the dime?, if yes - is it yours? and if yes - how do you know it to a true story and the actual dime. I like the over all story line and it does add a nice dimension to an otherwise common piece

Yes, it is the dime, and yes, I do own the dime. I have the hand written paperwork from Guenter Wendt certifying the dime, and aside from the written part there is also a picture of him holding this dime. For obvious reasons I'm not posting that stuff online.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a lot of what I would call exotic in my collection. It’s a good question.
    Maybe this coin sword but it’s not US

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:

Yes, it is the dime, and yes, I do own the dime. I have the hand written paperwork from Guenter Wendt certifying the dime, and aside from the written part there is also a picture of him holding this dime. For obvious reasons I'm not posting that stuff online.

WOW ... Have u thought about having someone like PCGS make a special slab for you? A great piece to have.
    Thanks for sharing

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

mirabela
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to own this two headed magic Kennedy with nice toning that I found while CRH.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@SkyMan said:

WOW ... Have u thought about having someone like PCGS make a special slab for you? A great piece to have.
    Thanks for sharing

My pleasure, I'm glad you like it. With regards to slabbing it by a TPG, why pay money for something that won't increase the value of the item I own? The coin is protected in an openable plastic coin holder that is shown in the picture of Wendt holding the coin.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Weiss. An interesting bit of numismatic history.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

Anything Brasher is good with me. And that's a beauty!

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not quite exotic but a little different and covers dual interests. These came as special insets in baseball card packs.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    Hmmm, not sure if exotic but, it’s pretty cool and there’s only one.
    When Ron recreated the 2014 "DOUBLOON" 2014 ANA "RL" BRASHER FANTASY .9999 GOLD, 26.4G PRIVATE ISSUE MS69
    It’s his initials RL in the wing.

Great piece Stef!

Here's my unique Brasher from Ron. Need to get it slabbed and TrueViewed one day :)

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    As I have to collect on a limited budget, this one for me:

Beautiful

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:
    Hmmm, not sure if exotic but, it’s pretty cool and there’s only one.
    When Ron recreated the 2014 "DOUBLOON" 2014 ANA "RL" BRASHER FANTASY .9999 GOLD, 26.4G PRIVATE ISSUE MS69
    It’s his initials RL in the wing.

Great piece Stef!

Here's my unique Brasher from Ron. Need to get it slabbed and TrueViewed one day :)

You really should! It’s an amazing piece. And it shouldn’t get a net grade because it doesn’t look cleaned or pvc.
    3 out of 5 graded of my WRNC 75th year and 100th year. The 1921 peace $ got net for cleaned and one 21 Morgan got it
    for pvc. I didn’t see it but it’s soaking now and will resend.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file