Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the most exotic item in your numismatic collection?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is from way back when my daughter liked, "coins with animals". It was a random purchase. In hand, the coin's high relief really is impressive. Personally, I could do without the crystal eyes, but the coin was and still is a pleasant surprise. And I guess exotic.

Fun thread.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin related, it's a circa 1870's anti-counterfeit Fairbanks & Ewing, Phila. solid brass coin scale, marked "Approved by US Mint", works with Morgans, Liberty half and silver quarters. Even has a few calibration cuts on the side of the counterweight. @1630Boston did the research for me. Flea market find at $8. 2 auction results $2k. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

I would say my Voo-Doo coin is my most exotic piece. I have no proof that it is indeed a cursed coin so this is mainly conjecture on my part.
    The coin is a 1846-o tall date seated half dollar in a pcgs xf-40 details holder. The coin has very fine scratches on the figure of Ms. Liberty; in particular to Liberty's abdomen. The odd thing is the scratches are not visible to the naked eye. Even with 2X magnification you cannot see the scratches.
    I was very intrigued by this. I set out to find a reason someone might do something like this to a coin. Eventually I found a study done by a university in the 1930's on Voo-Doo. I think the study was done at the University of Cinncinati, but I am not sure. The study had a section on the use of coins in Voo-Doo. I believe the research was on the Newman Portal.
    The study stated that some women in the 19th century would try to put a curse on a rival.
    This could range from trying to disfigure their beauty to causing them to be barren or lose a child they were pregnant with. (Note the emphasis on Ms. Liberty's abdomen) The person wanting the curse would have a Voo-Doo Queen doctor the coin up in such a way the the intended victim wouldn't suspect anything. The Lady buying the curse was then responsible with somehow passing the coin to the intended victim.
    Again, I have no proof that this coin is such a cursed coin. But it is fun to speculate.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 You know there's good and bad voodoo. Have you been lucky?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

To be honest I don't believe in Voo-Doo, but my luck is unchanged to the best of my knowledge. Also, my wife is far beyond conceiving which I guess would be a true test of the coin's power.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

1929, 1965, 2011 Lundy Island coin sets. Still looking for the 1977 set.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most exotic numismatic item that I currently own is:

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep saying we need a "love" button.
    Is it still a nickel when it's solid gold?
    5 cent silver, 5 cent nickel, 5 cent gold.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I have exotic things and have ended up with quite a few, including a Lesher Dollar.

My more exotic item is probably a sutler counterstamping stencil tool. With all the counterstamping that's been done, this is the only tool I've ever run across:

Here's a 1862 Washington D.C. Emancipation Day token that matches the design and letter placement owned by @Dwight_M:

That is so cool!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file