Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*UPDATE W/ GRADE* Nice Little Cherrypick Today... 1964 Accented Hair 50C QDR FS-802

BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2022 2:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I knew this was an accented hair all along, but I almost missed the quadrupled die reverse. Best part, it's still in the mint cello!

Off to the slab factory it goes :)

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang nice pick! ;)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye. And shooting stars to boot! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did I miss that one?? :D;) Nice find.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustHalfBrian
    Where did you find it?
    Really a great score.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

1960-1964 proof sets are the happy hunting ground for me. So many awesome varieties can be found, many with premuims that make it worthwhile whether you're flipping or collecting them.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool catch!

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Nice score. I found over a dozen AH halves in the past few months, but never in my LIFE have I found one with a QDR (and I check them carefully).

However, you should return your 1964 Kennedy to the Mint as defective. It is missing the lower left serif on the "I" in LIBERTY. What kind of quality control is that?

• Options
    CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Wow, nice find! Where did you find it?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2022 9:57AM

Alright!
    Good hunt down, buddy.
    Did it Cameo?
    Congrats.
    <3
    B)
    Don't forget to check the Dime for the short "9".
    From here, it appears you have it?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2022 2:53PM

I just checked my own AH PR63, and mine seems to be doubled like yours! I checked variety vista and mine is almost an exact match to the 802 shown there. The only difference I can see on mine is the FG initials are kind of weak.
    Are there any known diagnostics for the 802?

Edit: wow what a rabbit hole, so many DDO and DDR for the 64 AH proof. I see doubling on both sides of mine, split serifs, stars, a lot going on. Fun stuff!

The splits on the A and R of Dollar, seem almost yonic.

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    @BustHalfBrian
    Where did you find it?
    Really a great score.
    Wayne

The store I work at bought a few sealed sets and this was in one of them!

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I just checked my own AH PR63, and mine is doubled like yours! I checked variety vista and mine is almost an exact match to the 802 shown there. The only difference I can see on mine is the FG initials are kind of weak.
    Are there any known diagnostics for the 802?

I think the only diagnostic is the quadrupled stars and letters south of stars. If it has that, it’s pretty conclusive.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco There is some hub doubling for AH proofs so just double check to make sure yours is doubled beyond the hub doubling that all AH halves have.

It should be some pretty obvious doubling that you can clearly distinguish from other halves, like the one shown above.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2022 2:52PM

@FlyingAl said:
    @Aspie_Rocco There is some hub doubling for AH proofs so just double check to make sure yours is doubled beyond the hub doubling that all AH halves have.

It should be some pretty obvious doubling that you can clearly distinguish from other halves, like the one shown above.

I was curious about the hub dub, now I need to examine more AH examples. Hard to photo some of the serifs, mine has spits on G of GOD, and scattered through TRUST, and a touch on numbers.
    Reverse looks QDO to me under the scope, but my FG seems too different. I added pics to my previous comment.

I apologize, I have terrible lighting so will post a few pics.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco Obverse is normal, reverse is the 802 from what I can see. Could you post full reverse pics to be sure?

• Options

Hmm it’s hard to tell for sure but I do think it is. The lighting is harsh so going off the zoomed pics I’m going to say, yes it’s the 802. I can’t be sure though.

• Options

OP, apologies for pulling your thread off topic. I love the coin you have and it is definitely a rarer variety to find for these coins, they seem to carry a pretty heavy premium.

Any chance at CAM? Looks like there been a few graded.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a tough variety to find, I had one several years ago in PF-67 that sold on ebay for $985

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your find

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    OP, apologies for pulling your thread off topic. I love the coin you have and it is definitely a rarer variety to find for these coins, they seem to carry a pretty heavy premium.

Any chance at CAM? Looks like there been a few graded.

All good! I don't think mine is quite a CAM. It has a little contrast, though. We'll see what PCGS says.

• Options

UPDATE: It just came back from the slab factory… PR68 :)

• Options

@BustHalfBrian said:

That was fast, but that is a very nice cherrypick, quite some value there!

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@BustHalfBrian said:

That was fast, but that is a very nice cherrypick, quite some value there!

It was part of a larger express order! Pricing is the next step. The problem is I'm not quite sure what it's worth since they sell so infrequently. I believe this coin is 1 of 6 in PR68 and 69 is pop 1. So what varieties do I look at for comparables?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

;)
    That's a "I Wish" coin.
    I Wish that was mine!
    :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

I have seen a few listed 68s on eBay for about $750 and that seemed fair to me so I would imagine around there. I don’t know if they’ve sold though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file