Options

Overheard at a local coin show...

2»

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 1:37PM

@RYK said:

Like in radiology, I would expect for AI to have an impact on grading in the future. I have not seem much written about it,

IT IS COMING

PCGS LAUNCHES AI-POWERED COIN GRADING TECHNOLOGY - https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1042609/pcgs-launches-ai-powered-coin-grading-technology
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1057670/watch-a-computer-grade-a-coin#:~:text=In partnering with Positronic, PCGS has been able,grade coins while increasing accuracy of their grading.

Coin Grading Giant Partners with Positronic to Develop Machine Learning Tool
    In partnering with Positronic, PCGS has been able to decrease the amount of time it takes to grade coins while increasing accuracy of their grading. The new system Their new system benefits from artificial intelligence and machine learning, allowing coin graders to quickly determine coin authenticity by checking coins against their vast proprietary imaging database.

“We have been testing and refining the system for over two years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It will become a crucial component of our fight against counterfeiting, " shared Don Willis, President of PCGS

John Nelson, PCGS’ Chief Technology Officer, shared: “With coins going through PCGS Gold Shield, our system is even more intelligent, and faster than before. It speeds the grading and authentication process.”

Positronic specializes in making businesses perform better and faster through strategic implementation of technology. Is there an area of your business that you need to up your game to stay competitive? Contact us to explore solutions.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@RYK said:

Like in radiology, I would expect for AI to have an impact on grading in the future. I have not seem much written about it,

IT IS COMING

PCGS LAUNCHES AI-POWERED COIN GRADING TECHNOLOGY - https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1042609/pcgs-launches-ai-powered-coin-grading-technology
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1057670/watch-a-computer-grade-a-coin#:~:text=In partnering with Positronic, PCGS has been able,grade coins while increasing accuracy of their grading.

In partnering with Positronic, PCGS has been able to decrease the amount of time it takes to grade coins while increasing accuracy of their grading. The new system Their new system benefits from artificial intelligence and machine learning, allowing coin graders to quickly determine coin authenticity by checking coins against their vast proprietary imaging database.

“We have been testing and refining the system for over two years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It will become a crucial component of our fight against counterfeiting, " shared Don Willis, President of PCGS

John Nelson, PCGS’ Chief Technology Officer, shared: “With coins going through PCGS Gold Shield, our system is even more intelligent, and faster than before. It speeds the grading and authentication process.”

Positronic specializes in making businesses perform better and faster through strategic implementation of technology. Is there an area of your business that you need to up your game to stay competitive? Contact us to explore solutions.

See, I told you. ;)

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@JohnBCoins said:

@Herb_T said:
    Are the TPG working overtime? If they aren’t they should, might be the only way they will dig out of the backlog!

Most graders are on salary, there is no incentive to work past the 8 hours for free so the company can make more money.

PCGS grading room is open 7 days per week. Some of the graders are already doing 6 days or 7 days per week. There reaches a point where the extra incentives really do not matter. Money isn't everything. Sometimes you need to live your life also.

John Butler
    David Lawrence Rare Coins

Your two statements appear to be contradictory. Am I missing something?

Not really, there are around 10-12 graders. Only 3-5 of those graders work 6 days per week. As far as I know only myself & two others have done consistent 7 day weeks. I no longer work there as of last September.
    You need both the incentive in place & the desire from the grader to work the extra hours. Some graders have families & wives to please so the incentives do not work.
    thanks,
    John Butler
    David Lawrence Rare Coins

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    I am getting closer to retiring. . My clients are begging me NOT to retire or sell my practice. The Corona Virus have really affected and changed the dynamic of people working. Less employees want to work full time.

The only reason I am still working is NOT my clients convincing me to keep working. Orevilla (my wife) wants me to retire. I then asked he what would I do if I retired?

She then stated that I could clean the house cook breakfast and dinner and CLEAN the dishes!

That ended any chances of my retiring!!

Yes, waiting for the mail and the like as a highlight of your day would get old fast.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@RYK said:

IT IS COMING

So with this advance in tech. grading, will this result in a plethora of resub/regrade submissions?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2022 2:47AM

It's better than when they won't deal with you ;)

It seems everyone is busy and slammed.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI - the press release posted above is from 2018. All of the articles and posts quote the same information. There's nothing really new except maybe a video showing it in action since.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    I am getting closer to retiring. . My clients are begging me NOT to retire or sell my practice. The Corona Virus have really affected and changed the dynamic of people working. Less employees want to work full time.

The only reason I am still working is NOT my clients convincing me to keep working. Orevilla (my wife) wants me to retire. I then asked he what would I do if I retired?

She then stated that I could clean the house cook breakfast and dinner and CLEAN the dishes!

You could be taking her out to dinner every night. Happy wife, happy life.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:

Yes, I agree. There is no way ending up as a house wife for retirement. Retirement life should be enjoyable for your second spring life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file