Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1875 S/CC FS-502 Variety?

OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,
Recently got this coin back from PCGS. I bought it as a S/CC variety, and it was labeled as such previously by PCGS I believe. Just wondering, is this indeed the variety?
Would appreciate any help and insight.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Obone said:
    Hi Everyone,
    I bought it as a S/CC variety, and it was labeled as such previously by PCGS I believe.

what leads you to believe this?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 5:49PM

Edited reply

The S looks close, are there remnants to the left and right?
    Your S looks almost too far left compared with the D below. Edit. After comparing images with a ruler your S seems to line up regarding placement. Can you get a more clear photo of the area to the left of the mint mark

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Obone said:
    Hi Everyone,
    I bought it as a S/CC variety, and it was labeled as such previously by PCGS I believe.

what leads you to believe this?

I bought it raw from someone reputable who told me it was ex PCGS AU Details Cleaned. I resubmitted.

• Options

@Obone said:
    I bought it raw from someone reputable who told me it was ex PCGS AU Details Cleaned. I resubmitted.

gratz on the grade.

a VERY recent sub. the TV isn't up yet. (was going to use that for the s/cc verify but aspie seems pretty adept to doing good work via phone/tablet.

just to be certain, you also mean the dealer stated it was s/cc?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 5:29PM

Based on what I can see in the photos you provided, I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic that it is the 502 as you say. I see the obverse diagnostic (I think? The toning makes it very hard to tell), paired with the chip in the top loop of the S makes it highly likely.

I'd need better images of the obverse and reverse though. Full images of the reverse would be particularly helpful.

FWIW, the obverse die is paired with a non S/CC reverse die, and to make matters even more exciting, the non-S/CC and 502 reverse dies seem to be swapped out with the obverse die at some point.

i.e. there is are "early" obverse 502 and a "late" obverse 502 states, and the "intermediate" seems to paired with the non S/CC reverse from what I've seen.

Edit: if it is a 502, that's a pretty cool coin! Nice grade. I wonder why PCGS called it cleaned the first go-around. Did you send it in for variety attribution? If not, they won't put it on the label automatically.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a die crack between star 1 & 2 on the obv

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh. Varieties are only interesting when they reach out and grab you visually. If you have a microscope and still can’t tell? Shrug…

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 8:46PM

Actually using the microscope on this one hinders identification.

The pickups in and around the mint mark are easy enough to spot in a well cropped, full reverse shot

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Meh. Varieties are only interesting when they reach out and grab you visually. If you have a microscope and still can’t tell? Shrug…

You don't need a microscope to see it, the photos just don't show the correct parts of the coin to fully identify it. To each their own, no need to yuck on other peoples' yum :shrug:

• Options

@tradedollarnut There are die states where the 502 is more obvious than the 501. I am currently reviewing a near final draft of @keoj amazing book and he has a picture of the 502 that clearly shows the CC. Maybe he will post the pic here

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better pictures, of the full obverse and reverse, would help to properly assess this coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

"and it was labeled as such previously by PCGS I believe."

But you don't know for sure?

• Options

@ricko said:
    Better pictures, of the full obverse and reverse, would help to properly assess this coin. Cheers, RickO

we (or at least I) am waiting for TVs. - with the old format, i used to be able to post a link to a TV that hasn't even posted yet so that when it does, wherever my post would be with that url, the image would automatically pop up. SINCE the url change, i have not found a way to standardize this not that i've tried too hard but it didn't seem obvious to me.

SO, for now, this is the best i can do: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/44831948

• Options

@AlexinPA said:
    "and it was labeled as such previously by PCGS I believe."

But you don't know for sure?

I'm not 100% positive, as I haven't actually SEEN the coin in a PCGS holder, going by what I bought it as. But the guy who sold it to me is pretty reputable and established, so it doesn't sound like the type of thing he'd lie about.

Thanks for everyone's help, here are some better pics of the full obv and rev.

• Options

I think I see the break though the center of the T in trade. Early die state 502

You have to pay for variety attribution and that one has a track record for getting overlooked by PCGS. Nice coin

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Those are quite scarce. PCGS has only certified 2 chop marked 502s.

• Options

Thanks for all the help!
    Glad to hear it is indeed the 502. How should I go about getting it properly recognized? Is it only a PCGS resubmission thing, or is there another company that specially checks for variety? I know that I've seen some of them for VAMs I recall?

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 12:31PM

When I got my 502 properly recognized (it's an XF40), I sent in detailed pictures with my submission comparing my coin to an already attributed coin, pointing out the distinctive die cracks on the reverse and the bump to the left of the "S". I believe it was the third time this coin had been sent in for variety attribution (the previous owner tried unsuccessfully once or twice). It is a tough variety to get attributed. I too, have seen the pics from the example in the @keoj book, and to be completely honest, that one is the only one that I have ever been able to clearly see the defaced "C" mint mark.

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too have had problems getting PCGS to properly recognize the 502 S/CC. It doesn't always happen.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 2:53PM

Sometimes the TrueViews are slow to be uploaded, normally by the time I receive the coins returned to me. @PCGSPhoto may be able to bump the upload progression. ;)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the “remains” of the CC is harder to see on most coins, I’d have a photo of the harder to see ones in the book, too.

@keoj

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold this coin to @Obone. It's an FS-502. The die cracks match and the die lumps are there, but as @Crypto pointed out above it's an earlier die state.

Nice job on getting it graded. It was a liner coin and you got lucky.

I've given up trying to get this variety attributed at PCGS. After submitting a coin twice and having it come back with incorrect variety designation multiple times (after providing detailed documentation on the variety) I'm not going to waste any more money.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

Well he was not BS'ing about getting the coin from a reputable source.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no trueview available? 😢

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@OriginalDan said:
    I sold this coin to @Obone. It's an FS-502. The die cracks match and the die lumps are there, but as @Crypto pointed out above it's an earlier die state.

Nice job on getting it graded. It was a liner coin and you got lucky.

I've given up trying to get this variety attributed at PCGS. After submitting a coin twice and having it come back with incorrect variety designation multiple times (after providing detailed documentation on the variety) I'm not going to waste any more money.

I can understand this. That is half the battle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file