Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You want rare plastic, top this

TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

$1000 coin, $299,000 worth of plastic. I think it would be tough to top this one.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it actually sell for $300,000?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

I once had a Morgan dollar I forgot the date but it was a (p) that was worth 40 dollars. inside a gsa holder, it sold for 5000 dollars.

• Options
  • Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that the one and only 93-CC in a GSA holder?

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TONEDDOLLARS said:
    It did

Wow!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin use to be an urban legend.

• Options

@Luxor said:
    Isn't that the one and only 93-CC in a GSA holder?

Yes it is sir

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if the holder gets cracked the coin is worth how much?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can these GSA slabs be opened? Is it possible to remove a coin and substitute a different coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Can these GSA slabs be opened? Is it possible to remove a coin and substitute a different coin?

They are examined very closely by the grading company. I learned to never say never, but I would think you would see splintering along the seams.

• Options

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@PerryHall said:

They are examined very closely by the grading company. I learned to never say never, but I would think you would see splintering along the seams.

There was a thread here about a PCGS slab that got out without being sealed. I can't believe the government workers at the GSA couldn't also miss sealing a few of these slabs.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing! Thanks for posting.

Vplite99
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@PerryHall said:

There was a thread here about a PCGS slab that got out without being sealed. I can't believe the government workers at the GSA couldn't also miss sealing a few of these slabs.

I saw one that fell apart. You couldn't tell it had ever been together. I assume it would be very easy to seal it so it wouldn't show. A dealer paid $500 for the two halves. I don't know what he put in it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@PerryHall said:

I saw one that fell apart. You couldn't tell it had ever been together. I assume it would be very easy to seal it so it wouldn't show. A dealer paid $500 for the two halves. I don't know what he put in it.

$500 is a lot to pay for an unsealed GSA slab. Obviously, he had plans for it. Could he have put an 1893-CC in it? ;)

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Does the card exist with the 1893 date?

• Options

No it does not

• Options

@TONEDDOLLARS said:
    No it does not

Geee. I wonder why. :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is amazing... Such a price mainly for a holder/coin combination. Glad I collect coins, not holders. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

anyone willing to share where it sold?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously?? Wow - thought I was nuts.........

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:

oh don't worry, we KNOW what you've done. you'll always be nuts to us..... :D

although, if you would have sold a lot of your plastic this past 18 months or so, your previous years of crazy would have netted some serious $$$$$$ if you would have sold. sometimes it TAKES nuts.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

In a private sale to the same collector who bought the only 89-cc in a GSA holder graded ms-61dmpl

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

In a private sale to the same collector who bought the only 89-cc in a GSA holder graded ms-61dmpl

I was just going to ask about that coin. Back when it was first being shown at shows, the plastic was "worth" well north of the $300K cited above.

• Options

@messydesk said:

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

I was just going to ask about that coin. Back when it was first being shown at shows, the plastic was "worth" well north of the $300K cited above.

Yes it was. Very, very North

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1889 CC was listed for sale by Sarasota at $1,000,000. Sometime later it was gone and I asked and was told that it sold for an offer below the asking.

I had heard years ago that the 1892 CC was cracked out. But this is Not confirmed. If true it was Not done any time recently as the story was from years ago also.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2022 4:05AM

Need more coffee in order to make sense of this...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) I will take less than $300K for this unique NGC beauty.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll give you less than $300k for it - what's the story behind that one?? Trial of grading coins like eggs??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could buy some amazing coins with 300k. That's crazy but then again I just bought a half dollar for $408. ;)

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interestingly enough this is one of the only times I get paying for the plastic. If the above is right and this guy has the only 89-CC in GSA as well that is an insane accomplishment to put together the only possible full set of these.

I definitely would share in the holder concerns of @PerryHall a bit though but guessing NGC didn't take puttng a grade on this lightly.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:

CAC competing service?

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@REALGATOR said:

CAC competing service?

No,NGC accidentally sent this coin out without providing the final label.

"A" was a preliminary grade for the shipwreck recovery.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

Ummm....you do realize that those 2 things are not mutually exclusive......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this 93-cc at the Baltimore Show probably 5-8 years ago. I actually looked at the coin and thought it was unusual... unable to recall the name of the dealer that had it or the asking price.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file