Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 20 (1902-S - 1904)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re winding down here but the 20th century Morgans offer a lot of surprisingly challenging dates.

The 1902-S is reasonably expensive but they are usually nice-looking coins, It’s easier to find a good one than the rest of the S mints after 1897. PL coins are extremely tough though and there is but a single DMPL at PCGS. I have never seen a nicely toned one in person but CoinFacts does show one example that would command a substantial premium. Mine has a little bit of toning near the rims attesting to it’s originality.

1902-S MS65 CAC

1903 is not really common but still fairly easy to locate. Like most dates in this range, PLs are tough, DMPLs are very rare and nicely toned ones are extremely difficult. However, the coins come flashy and very well struck so as a 20th century type coin, 1903 would be a great choice. My coin is hammered and the obverse is nearly perfect. There is some discoloration on the reverse. It doesn’t really bother me but I think it held the grade back. It isn’t haze and I’m not sure if it’s toning that could be dipped out, but if that patch were bright white I think it would grade 67 or better.

1903 MS66 CAC

You may know the story of the 1903-O. Up until 1962, the 03-O was THE key date in the Morgan series ahead of the 93-S and 95 Proof. An Unc example (of which there were perhaps 10 known) would have cost $1500, a huge sum at the time. Since then perhaps a hundred (or more) bags were discovered and prices plummeted overnight. Now the 03-O is still a curiosity and essentially a high-priced slightly better date coin, like an 81-CC. Similarly, it has a flat pricing curve since it is hardly ever encountered in circulated grades. The population isn’t much different than the 1903 in MS but it is twice as expensive in grades up through MS66. Like the other New Orleans Morgans from 1898-1904 the coins are flashy and generally well struck. Finding a nice example is easy but a mirrored coin is definitely a challenge. Despite a huge hoard sitting in treasury vaults for 59 years, I have never personally seen a beautifully toned one (though there is one on CoinFacts that looks decent). Mine is clean and flashy but has virtually no contrast (as is typical).

1903-O MS64PL

1903-S is a semi-key that no one ever talks about. It has a similar (but slightly cheaper) price curve as a 79-CC despite roughly equal circulated pops and about 1/3rd as many graded MS examples. CoinFacts estimated totals indicate there must be a large ungraded population, which I don’t really believe. You will encounter far fewer 03-S Morgans in all grades relative to a 79-CC. It is harder to find a nice circulated example than the semi-key mid-90s Morgans although not as tough in higher MS grades. It goes without saying that mirrored or toned examples are exceptionally rare. I may one day go for an upgrade but I love the look of my VF35. Of all of my Morgans in this grade range I think this is the most original.

1903-S VF35

1904 is a surprisingly tough Philly coin. They do not come nearly as nice as 1903, on average. I think there is just less interest in these later dates as there are quite a few sleepers in this range. There are a handful of mirrored examples but toned coins are extremely rare. Mine has about as much color as I’ve found. It has a great look that’s unlike any other Morgan I own.

1904 MS64+ CAC

As always, please post comments, questions, Morgans of your own from this range, or perhaps any sort of summary requests for the last installment!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142.... Another great installment covering your Morgans. I enjoy reading your descriptions and details of the coins availability. Thanks for this series... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need a top 5 favorites from the series and why post! 🙂

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1903 S is really stunning and shows how a circulated example can aesthetically match up to even mid-grade MS specimens..

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for continuing and sharing of this thread.
    I really like the personal and unique details that you provide with each coin.
    Of course, the coins speak for themselves.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@Catbert said:
    We need a top 5 favorites from the series and why post! 🙂

That would be fun, but really hard to choose! I was thinking about a top 5 that didn’t make the set. Might as well do both. 😃

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing, another great set of coins. Agree with your commentary, the end of the series doesn't get a lot of love and are extremely hard to find nice ones. Like them all but the 04P the best. I think you might like my 03S in an NGC XF40 holder.

• Options

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    Thanks for sharing, another great set of coins. Agree with your commentary, the end of the series doesn't get a lot of love and are extremely hard to find nice ones. Like them all but the 04P the best. I think you might like my 03S in an NGC XF40 holder.

Very nice detail on this one. I love the even color and total absence of distracting marks. Thank you for sharing!

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

That '04 looks special. Tough to find date with eye appeal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file