Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found a gold colored Quarter

I found a Gold color quarter a 2000 south Carolina D, I was told it was a planchet error or an experimental test coin for Alloys. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? I have seen that a 1999 Georgia that is the same color go for a lot of money I am trying to find out if it warrants a PCGS certification or not Thanks in advance for the comments and help

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been gold plated. They were popular with marketeers who sold them to the non-collecting public as a novelty.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Welcome!! I would love to see a picture.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    It's been gold plated. They were popular with marketeers who sold them to the non-collecting public as a novelty.

This I have five or six of these I have found in change. Just a plated novelty item.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have invested in a gold plated and a platinum plated state quarter set that I bought off of late night television.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could argue they’re actually worth less than a quarter because vending machines and coinstar won’t accept them 😃

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a pic when you are allowed

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mountain_Folk said:
    I found a Gold color quarter a 2000 south Carolina D, I was told it was a planchet error or an experimental test coin for Alloys.

They've been making clad quarters for nearly 60 years now. It seems unlikely there would be much experimenting going on at this point.

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2022 7:24PM

@Mountain_Folk said:
    I found a Gold color quarter a 2000 south Carolina D, I was told it was a planchet error or an experimental test coin for Alloys. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? I have seen that a 1999 Georgia that is the same color go for a lot of money I am trying to find out if it warrants a PCGS certification or not Thanks in advance for the comments and help

Welcome to the forum.

Look something like this? Sell for a couple bucks at best. Not sure what you saw that was selling for a lot of money. Maybe you're talking about the $5 gold Washington death Bicentennial coin minted in 1999 at West Point but that wouldn't have had the state quarter reverse.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mountain_Folk.... Welcome aboard. Your quarter has been plated... After leaving the MInt, so it is a form of Post Mint Damage (PMD) and has no numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Mountain_Folk.... Welcome aboard. Your quarter has been plated... After leaving the MInt, so it is a form of Post Mint Damage (PMD) and has no numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

It's more of a post mintage alteration than PMD not unlike artificial toning being applied to a coin. Suggest that you just spend it. It would be interesting to see if someone else finds it in circulation and starts a new thread about their find.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly one of those HSN plated in gold state coins.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• @mark_dak said:

@Mountain_Folk said:

Welcome to the forum.

Look something like this? Sell for a couple bucks at best. Not sure what you saw that was selling for a lot of money. Maybe you're talking about the $5 gold Washington death Bicentennial coin minted in 1999 at West Point but that wouldn't have had the state quarter reverse.

NO, it is lighter and shinier I will try and do a Pic.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is worth a Quarter.

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s worth more than a quarter - the spot price of 0.00000001 grams of gold is worth “something”, dammit.
    I have several of these and my kids are counting on these for their inheritance... (poor little shits)

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a few of the "gold" quarters during my CRH for W quarters. They look awesome but unfortunately aren't worth much.

Made my heart race when I found the first one though!🤣😂

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have a gold plated Georgia as part of my 7070 Type set... I got it as change from the B&M shop I used to go to in AZ...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • @golden said:
    It is worth a Quarter.

Not at today's Inflation.

• KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth a quarter. I have a few ATB Quarters gold plated. It's a partial ATB set, I bought it for the wooden case for cheap. Someone must have bought it from HSN (has HSN documents inside the case) and realized that it's not real gold and not much value to it and sold to a flea market vendor.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file