Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay shipping option for under $20 items

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@djm said:
    It maybe you got an opportunist for a buyer and when the saw no delivery scan they filed a not received claim.

Now you need to wait the 30days from the date of mailing and file an insurance claim through eBay.

That occurred to me as I had other ebay standard envelope 1 oz to 3 oz sales that did not have tracking. It happens. And why ebay says that a negative for this relatively new system they have up and running with poor tracking must stick is strange to me. I contacted them twice on this, I don't have concierge service which they told me I have to be invited into.

ok. i gotta ask. you say you used ebay standard but there was no tracking. do you mean no tracking updated or no tracking period. something isnt' adding up here.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 1:44AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@lkenefic said:
    Thanks for posting... I'm curious if anyone sends padded envelopes... #000 ? I think they're also called bubble mailers. 4"x7"

Not by ebay standard. They are generally too thick (1/4 inch)

use these and all you will need to protect the coin is a mylar flip taped to the packing slip.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@logger7 said:

@djm said:
    It maybe you got an opportunist for a buyer and when the saw no delivery scan they filed a not received claim.

Now you need to wait the 30days from the date of mailing and file an insurance claim through eBay.

That occurred to me as I had other ebay standard envelope 1 oz to 3 oz sales that did not have tracking. It happens. And why ebay says that a negative for this relatively new system they have up and running with poor tracking must stick is strange to me. I contacted them twice on this, I don't have concierge service which they told me I have to be invited into.

ok. i gotta ask. you say you used ebay standard but there was no tracking. do you mean no tracking updated or no tracking period. something isnt' adding up here.

Sometimes the ebay standard envelopes have no tracking; they cannot be scanned at the local post office and they may or may not get scanned at the distribution hubs. Usually they do get scans, sometimes they get lots of scans, sometimes none. And ebay wants sellers to take those chances and hold them liable for this new option. 53c for standard 1 oz.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Sometimes the ebay standard envelopes have no tracking; they cannot be scanned at the local post office and they may or may not get scanned at the distribution hubs. Usually they do get scans, sometimes they get lots of scans, sometimes none. And ebay wants sellers to take those chances and hold them liable for this new option. 53c for standard 1 oz.

thanks. the odds are low but you can try the tracking number here to see if it shows any info.

https://www.trackmyshipment.co/shipment-tracking

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Sometimes the ebay standard envelopes have no tracking; they cannot be scanned at the local post office and they may or may not get scanned at the distribution hubs. Usually they do get scans, sometimes they get lots of scans, sometimes none. And ebay wants sellers to take those chances and hold them liable for this new option.

eBay doesn't want you to use the standard envelope option and take chances any more than using the other options provided. You are still free to use a more expensive service if you choose.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@logger7 said:
    Sometimes the ebay standard envelopes have no tracking; they cannot be scanned at the local post office and they may or may not get scanned at the distribution hubs. Usually they do get scans, sometimes they get lots of scans, sometimes none. And ebay wants sellers to take those chances and hold them liable for this new option.

eBay doesn't want you to use the standard envelope option and take chances any more than using the other options provided. You are still free to use a more expensive service if you choose.

what makes you say that? just curious. it seems to me that the standard service option is only benefiting the seller and buyer, whereas the post office seems to disdain the service and ebay surely can't be making very much profit because of the low value vs the amount of claims. i'm all ears. :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@lkenefic said:
    Thanks for posting... I'm curious if anyone sends padded envelopes... #000 ? I think they're also called bubble mailers. 4"x7"

use these and all you will need to protect the coin is a mylar flip taped to the packing slip.

I have used those. I actually prefer corrugated mailers in a regular envelope as they are 1 oz lighter.

The question was about bubble envelopes.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@MasonG said:

@logger7 said:

what makes you say that? just curious. it seems to me that the standard service option is only benefiting the seller and buyer, whereas the post office seems to disdain the service and ebay surely can't be making very much profit because of the low value vs the amount of claims. i'm all ears. :)

He's just saying that ebay is not pushing you to use the service. I don't see any evidence of them pushing the service. On the contrary, if you have shipping delays or other issues, their CS service reps will always suggest using a faster service.

I've shipped over 1000 ebay standard at this point. I've had zero claims. The only complaints I get are when a customer sees a delivered scan and they haven't gotten it yet. There is sometimes a 24 hour delay between the delivered scan and the delivery.

If one goes missing, who cares? I've saved thousands in postage. If I have to eat $50 at some point, it was well worth it.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    what makes you say that? just curious.

Whenever I go to ship anything, the default shipping option selected is the one I chose when I listed an item, which is typically first class package. Below that, there is a list of other options, one of which is standard envelope (when applicable). If that option is available, I select it. There is nothing anywhere on the page that tries to direct me to use one particular service over another.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I've shipped over 1000 ebay standard at this point. I've had zero claims.

Pretty much the same here except that I've had three shipments that were not received but showed up in the system as "accepted". Claims were filed and paid, the last two took one day to process. I have also had one shipment that wasn't received and never showed as "accepted", which I had to refund myself. So altogether, I paid about $3,000 less to ship those coins using the "standard envelope" option and had to refund $12 for one lost package which I would have had to refund anyway if I'd used the "first class package" option, as there's no insurance included for that service and who pays extra to insure a $12 coin?

@jmlanzaf said:
    If one goes missing, who cares? I've saved thousands in postage. If I have to eat $50 at some point, it was well worth it.

Exactly.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@lkenefic said:

I have used those. I actually prefer corrugated mailers in a regular envelope as they are 1 oz lighter.

and my answer was an alternative to bubble envelopes. so yes, the answer is also about bubble envelopes.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been mailing coins in envelopes with stamps that I sell on ebay. I tried doing the ebay standard envelope a couple times, but I didn't have a great way to print the ebay label from my printer. The whole process of printing it, cutting it out, and taping it to the envelope was taking a while. I felt like I was saving a bunch of time by just putting a stamp or two on and writing the address by hand. I don't get tracking that way, but I've only ever had to reimburse one person for a lost item after mailing somewhere between 1000-2000 items (I've had to reimburse people for other reasons). I've also had very nervous customers during covid that had to wait like 3-4 weeks for USPS to deliver.

I had always assumed that safety mailers were too rigid to be machined. I always include the non-machinable surcharge for my envelopes reinforced with cardboard/cardstock. Is this just wasted postage on my part?

Also, does anyone have a most efficient way to do the envelopes?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 10:14AM

@neildrobertson said:
    I had always assumed that safety mailers were too rigid to be machined.

I get the #6 size safety mailers and cut them in half, which is just about perfect for one coin in a flip or 2x2 and isn't as rigid as using a mailer that fills the whole envelope.

edited to add... I've still had a few returned with a "Non Machinable" stamp but for those, I have just reprinted the original label and remailed the coin and none have been returned to me a second time.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@lkenefic said:

and my answer was an alternative to bubble envelopes. so yes, the answer is also about bubble envelopes.

No

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 10:35AM

yes

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@logger7 said:

Why do you say that? Here's a good one for you that happened last week. I sold a cheap coin to a buyer in Puerto Rico. The ebay standard shipping would not work. It was cheap enough where I would lose money if I shipped it regular USPS. I contacted ebay and asked about it. They said there was an issue with Puerto Rico in the system and paid me the difference between the standard shipping and 1st class shipping!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@MasonG said:

Why do you say that?

Because it's true. eBay has never made an effort to get me to use one shipping method over another. I am free to set my default shipping to whatever service I choose and when it comes time to ship, I am free to change to any other service.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    I've been mailing coins in envelopes with stamps that I sell on ebay. I tried doing the ebay standard envelope a couple times, but I didn't have a great way to print the ebay label from my printer. The whole process of printing it, cutting it out, and taping it to the envelope was taking a while. I felt like I was saving a bunch of time by just putting a stamp or two on and writing the address by hand. I don't get tracking that way, but I've only ever had to reimburse one person for a lost item after mailing somewhere between 1000-2000 items (I've had to reimburse people for other reasons). I've also had very nervous customers during covid that had to wait like 3-4 weeks for USPS to deliver.

I had always assumed that safety mailers were too rigid to be machined. I always include the non-machinable surcharge for my envelopes reinforced with cardboard/cardstock. Is this just wasted postage on my part?

You can print the "ebay label" right onto your envelopes.

Which is to say, no actual label required in addition to no stamps required.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

SIAP - new rates starting July 10

eBay Delivery Services

eBay standard envelope new rate structure: 
    1 oz: $0.57 
    2 oz: $0.81 
    3 oz: $1.05 

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@daltex said:
    Off topic, but are there any consequences to a "buyer" from eBay for going around them to do a chargeback?

unfortunately, you quoted 3 people. whom are you asking?

Sorry. Just now seeing this. Anyone who knows. I mean I suppose the possibilities are suspension or revocation of one's eBay account, right? Does that happen?

• Options

@tokenpro said:

eBay Delivery Services

whoa. thanks for the update.

• Options

@conrad99 said:

@neildrobertson said:

You can print the "ebay label" right onto your envelopes.

Which is to say, no actual label required in addition to no stamps required.

Depends on whether your envelopes fit into your printer.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2022 10:09AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@tokenpro said:

eBay Delivery Services

whoa. thanks for the update.

And STILL cheaper than mailing a birthday card to Grandma!

For the record, USPS rates are going up.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/July-2022-Postage-Price-Changes

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

For the record, USPS rates are all going up.

Not quite accurate, in fact most of the first class package rates that directly affect most sellers are not changing. Small & medium flat rate Priority boxes are going up again but the large flat rate box is decreasing in price.

• Options

@tokenpro said:

@jmlanzaf said:

For the record, USPS rates are all going up.

Not quite accurate, in fact most of the first class package rates that directly affect most sellers are not changing. Small & medium flat rate Priority boxes are going up again but the large flat rate box is decreasing in price.

Correct. My point was more that it was a USPS increase not an ebay increase.

• Options

You can still get priorities, etc. at discount if you ship through paypal

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

Yes, but they don't have all of the options. For example, no regional flat rate labels.

• Options

@logger7 said:

EBay discount is larger.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2022 3:25PM

Here are the latest additions for my ebay coin packing standard envelope shipping cause.

Girl in a jacket

• Options

ship coins for less than a silver dollar.

i sure as heck hope so!!!

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    ship coins for less than a silver dollar.

i sure as heck hope so!!!

And get a negative as I did if the tracking does not show and the customer is so inclined.

• Options

i knew i liked numismatists for a reason. my ebay feedback (of ANY kind) as of late from coin sales is 100%.

what in the universe is going on here?!?!

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Are you supposed to click on the button which says Make bank?

What happens then?

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

@conrad99 said:

What happens then?

No, you add the shipping protocol for eBay Standard Envelope to your listing. If your item sells for under $20 you can use this option, otherwise it is first class package.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

EBay discount is larger.

and they offer regional flat rate A and B options.

• Options

@djm said:

@conrad99 said:

What happens then?

No, you add the shipping protocol for eBay Standard Envelope to your listing. If your item sells for under $20 you can use this option, otherwise it is first class package.

You can only use the standard envelope when it is offered as an option during ebay shipping label purchase process. Note that if your coin was listed and sold in a "bullion" category the standard envelope will not be an available option.

I have yet to find a way to generate a standard envelope label outside of when ebay offers it to you during label processing.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

EBay discount is larger.

and they offer regional flat rate A and B options.

also cubic-rate is about the steepest discount i am aware of. if not for the cubic-rate, 70% of the valuable items (non coins) i've shipped since c19 kicked in, would NOT have even been possible, unless i wanted to make everyone else wealthy off my back.

• Options

@djm said:

I don't have eBay Standard Envelope included in any of my listings but for the items where it's applicable, it shows up as an option when I go to print a shipping label.

• Options

just an updated? link for standard envelope, for the few that may not have seen it.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-labels-services/ebay-domestic-shipping-services/ebay-standard-envelope

• Options

feedback IS important, he&* you say. lol

• Options

I thanked the buyer in the package he received. Leaving feedback for him is, at best, a waste of time.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    I thanked the buyer in the package he received. Leaving feedback for him is, at best, a waste of time.

if it wasn't such a good warning system, i'd prefer there be no feedback. too many scoundrels out there and it has saved me on several occasion to NOT buy from certain sellers. i haven't worked with the ebay in the managed system with problem transactions like we used to do with paypal. i think if paypal was still in place, i could do w/o the feedback as well because for the most part, they really knew how to get problems worked out.

i don't expect perfect transactions all the time but i do expect sellers to offer up some decent back-n-forth to work things out. if all i had to do was zip across town to a local store for a return, really is no biggie but doing it online comes with a bit more cumbersome process but just part of the balance of things.

thankfully i have lived in a time where we had no public internet. i still remember having a beeper as a teen and i really thought i was doing something. LOL

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@MasonG said:

if it wasn't such a good warning system, i'd prefer there be no feedback. too many scoundrels out there and it has saved me on several occasion to NOT buy from certain sellers.

I wasn't talking about feedback for sellers. eBay still allows for leaving accurate feedback for them.

• Options

Leaving appreciative feedback on good transactions especially where profits are being made by the buyer is a common courtesy and should be second nature for buyers. Buyers who get fantastic deals with purchases are being totally selfish to not leave good feedback. If there are problems with a transaction beyond the control of the seller contacting them to help them resolve it should also be a given instead of leaving punitive feedback.

I'm seeing long time top sellers getting neutral feedback now that they can't make go away even if they have concierge service. I have heard buyers say that they will not do business with sellers who have any problem feedback which I find bull headed and small minded. As long as feedback shows a reasonably good seller doing business with them should not be prevented for some neutrals.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Leaving appreciative feedback on good transactions especially where profits are being made by the buyer is a common courtesy and should be second nature for buyers. Buyers who get fantastic deals with purchases are being totally selfish to not leave good feedback. If there are problems with a transaction beyond the control of the seller contacting them to help them resolve it should also be a given instead of leaving punitive feedback.

I'm seeing long time top sellers getting neutral feedback now that they can't make go away even if they have concierge service. I have heard buyers say that they will not do business with sellers who have any problem feedback which I find bull headed and small minded. As long as feedback shows a reasonably good seller doing business with them should not be prevented for some neutrals.

that really sounds just like basic human decency. bravo

• Options

Back to the OP topic on ebay standard envelopes, I find 4x6 printed shipping labels work great on a #10 envelope with the coin(s) in an open 2x2 flip, taped (down the middle of the open 2x2 to keep the coin in the flip) to the full page packing slip that is then folded into thirds. Try to position the flip so that the coin is far away from the top right corner of the envelope to protect envelope from damage as it passes thru the letter sorting machine.

I use an MFLABEL DT426B 4" x 6" thermal laser printer and I love it.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Back to the OP topic on ebay standard envelopes, I find 4x6 printed shipping labels work great on a #10 envelope with the coin(s) in an open 2x2 flip, taped (down the middle of the open 2x2 to keep the coin in the flip) to the full page packing slip that is then folded into thirds. Try to position the flip so that the coin is far away from the top right corner of the envelope to protect envelope from damage as it passes thru the letter sorting machine.

I use an MFLABEL DT426B 4" x 6" thermal laser printer and I love it.

i was watching one of those pokemon videos about a 1st Ed box where only a couple/few are known (now proven to be OBVIOUSLY counterfeit) that went through BBCE and the common folk (pokemon community) mentioned one of the methods of authenticating certain labels, is that they were printed via a thermal label machine. i THINK the point is that it doesn't smear as easily with wear and does NOT smear with water or at least very easily. do you find the thermal print to be very hearty but does fade over time (a lot of time).

obviously you are having good experiences with it or wouldn't mentioned/recommend it. cost, speed, quality, longevity, smear-free ink? etc

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

i was watching one of those pokemon videos about a 1st Ed box where only a couple/few are known (now proven to be OBVIOUSLY counterfeit) that went through BBCE and the common folk (pokemon community) mentioned one of the methods of authenticating certain labels, is that they were printed via a thermal label machine. i THINK the point is that it doesn't smear as easily with wear and does NOT smear with water or at least very easily. do you find the thermal print to be very hearty but does fade over time (a lot of time).

obviously you are having good experiences with it or wouldn't mentioned/recommend it. cost, speed, quality, longevity, smear-free ink? etc

Thermal labels work great for shipping labels, do not smear like my laser printed labels did. Don't know about longevity other than they hold up long enough to get my shipment delivered. I also find the smaller 4x6 vs the 4.5x7 half sheet laser labels allows them to be applied to a #10 envelope that meets ebay standard envelope size requirements.

• Options

has anyone noticed that sold items are remaining on the active listings page? i've had this on multiple accounts so i don't THINK it is a setting i messed up. kinda annoying but i dont know 100% if the listing(s) are still visible to the market or not but i've been manually removing sold items (single item listings) from the active listings page for quite a while now.

• Options

@logger7 said:

EBay discount is larger. > @LanceNewmanOCC said:

has anyone noticed that sold items are remaining on the active listings page? i've had this on multiple accounts so i don't THINK it is a setting i messed up. kinda annoying but i dont know 100% if the listing(s) are still visible to the market or not but i've been manually removing sold items (single item listings) from the active listings page for quite a while now.

I have noticed a brief delay in listings moving from active to sold, but they always move on their own without my doing anything. But that might not be what you're talking about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file