Home Sports Talk
Options

The March Madness thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy things happen in March, Chattanooga took down Furman to win the SOCOL tournament championship with this:

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

College basketball is about the only sport I watch. March is madness. Go Zags

Martin

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryant - Wagner Game Lopsided score and a fight in the stands.

https://youtu.be/srq64x4g5R8

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will Gonzaga choke?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Friars!!!!

This might be our last year with Ed Cooley at Providence College; he’s done an amazing job of getting the most out of the players and overachieving every year since he arrived in Rhode Island from Fairfield. Someone will offer him a huge payday, as soon as this off-season. He’s already said this is his dream job and he’d never leave but he’s earned the right to do whatever he pleases, in my opinion. Like Rick Pitino, Rick Barnes and Pete Gillen before him, he has moved the program forward considerably, winning the first regular season title in school history this year as well as leading a championship team in the Big East tournament (2014) and I hope, as much for him as for PC, that he goes on a deep run this March. But first, I’d love to see them win a game or two in the Big East tourney to maintain some good momentum into the Madness of March.

Their postseason starts tomorrow at noon…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@perkdog
    They will need help to
    Win it. Liked their chances last year more than this year. But it is March madness and lots of funky things happen

Martin

• Options

Go Friars! One down, two to go!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Duke was down by seven to Syracuse today but managed to pull off the victory, of course Coach K had that look on his face when they were down.

• Options

Go Aggies. Maybe Texas A&M can get in on their current streak!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because I went to Kent State, I follow the MAC tourney. Tonight Akron won and Kent won setting up the MAC championship game tomorrow with the winner going to the dance! Should be a great game!!!!!!

From the AP: "Malique Jacobs scored 19 points and Sincere Carry added 16, sending Kent State to its 14th straight win and into the championship of the Mid-American Conference tournament with a 67-61 victory over Ohio in the semifinals on Friday night.
    The Golden Flashes (23-9) will face bitter rival Akron in Saturday's title game with the winner getting the league's automatic NCAA bid. The fourth-seeded Zips advanced by upsetting top-seeded Toledo 70-62 in the other semifinal.
    Kent State won both regular-season games against Akron. This will be the fourth meeting between the schools in the MAC championship."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Oh well, so much for Kent State - Akron gave them a beating tonight. So guess I'll be rooting for Akron (LOL). Find out who they play in the first (and probably only) round Sunday night...........

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows how much bias there is when UH is a #5 seed. Final 4 last year, won the reg season and tournament this year, pounded Memphis today, shows why the seedings are always a joke. Sweet 16 minimum................ And Duke is a fluke.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Will Gonzaga choke?

Yes. They will. Play in a joke league, wait till they get real competition, then their pretty smiles will turn sad.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know about choke, but I’m hot on Arizona taking it all.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:
    {Shows how much bias there is when UH is a #5 seed. Final 4 last year, won the reg season and tournament this year, pounded Memphis today, shows why the seedings are always a joke.}

Well then - that explains Michigan getting an 11 seed with a 17-14 record, lost their last game of the regular season, got bounced in their first Big 10 tournament game, and 8th in their conference with a 11-9 final season record.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2022 9:33PM

@spacehayduke said:

@perkdog said:
    Will Gonzaga choke?

Yes. They will. Play in a joke league, wait till they get real competition, then their pretty smiles will turn sad.

That "joke" league has 3 teams in the NCAAs this year - including a 5-seed to go with Gonzaga's #1 - and would have had 4 if BYU hadn't gotten ripped by injuries. Gonzaga has more tournament wins over the last decade than any other school. 2 finals appearances in the last 5 years, probably a title a few years ago against UNC if the floor isn't wet (up 5 with 90 seconds to play, PG gets hurt on wet floor).

Teams Gonzaga has beaten in their non-conference or tournaments in just the last two years - Kansas, Auburn, West Virginia, Iowa, Virginia, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA (x2), Texas, and Texas Tech. That's not counting the 5 wins against St. Mary's, who are a #5 seed this year after winning 25 games for the 12th time in the last 22 years.

There's a lot of criticism to be aimed at Gonzaga but "joke league" is just a short way of saying you don't follow CBB. Is the ACC a "joke league" for having 7 teams with 16+ losses and spending nearly the entire season with just 1 team ranked?

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@spacehayduke said:
    {Shows how much bias there is when UH is a #5 seed. Final 4 last year, won the reg season and tournament this year, pounded Memphis today, shows why the seedings are always a joke.}

Well then - that explains Michigan getting an 11 seed with a 17-14 record, lost their last game of the regular season, got bounced in their first Big 10 tournament game, and 8th in their conference with a 11-9 final season record.

It's a joke that Michigan got in. No way should 17-14 get you an at-large unless your entire schedule is NBA teams.

• Options

@MsMorrisine I like AZs five but after that I think they drop off to much. They will need to keep their big guy out of foul trouble. Ballo can’t get up and down the court quickly many times in a row. He left GU because he saw very little
    Minutes there for him this year.
    Martin

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@spacehayduke said:

@perkdog said:
    Will Gonzaga choke?

That "joke" league has 3 teams in the NCAAs this year - including a 5-seed to go with Gonzaga's #1 - and would have had 4 if BYU hadn't gotten ripped by injuries. Gonzaga has more tournament wins over the last decade than any other school. 2 finals appearances in the last 5 years, probably a title a few years ago against UNC if the floor isn't wet (up 5 with 90 seconds to play, PG gets hurt on wet floor).

Teams Gonzaga has beaten in their non-conference or tournaments in just the last two years - Kansas, Auburn, West Virginia, Iowa, Virginia, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA (x2), Texas, and Texas Tech. That's not counting the 5 wins against St. Mary's, who are a #5 seed this year after winning 25 games for the 12th time in the last 22 years.

There's a lot of criticism to be aimed at Gonzaga but "joke league" is just a short way of saying you don't follow CBB. Is the ACC a "joke league" for having 7 teams with 16+ losses and spending nearly the entire season with just 1 team ranked?

Thank you Tabe. I didn’t have the time nor desire to deal with it.

• Options

You won’t find better college basketball rankings than these:

https://kenpom.com/

Use it to help fill out your bracket; seriously. You won’t regret it…

• Options

@Tabe said:

Oregon beat UCLA 2x this year and split with USC, so I don't think that really says much that Gonzaga beat them or the others as Oregon did not even make it into the NCAA this year.............

No. I do follow CBB. I just don't like little schools who spend all of their funds on the sports entertainment buisness rather than putting it into academics. So I am 100% anti Gonazega and look forward to them losing.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

He has Houston ranked #4 overall, funny how the NCAA tournament committee only ranks them as a #5 seed (should have been at least a #2), just shows how arbitrary the selections are and why there are always so many upsets. Maybe that is the fun of it, you don't need to have the seed, you just need to win. And Gonazega will be the first #1 seed out. Az, UCLA, and USC will show why the Pac-12 was a tough league this year...............

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

He has Houston ranked #4 overall, funny how the NCAA tournament committee only ranks them as a #5 seed (should have been at least a #2), just shows how arbitrary the selections are and why there are always so many upsets. Maybe that is the fun of it, you don't need to have the seed, you just need to win. And Gonazega will be the first #1 seed out. Az, UCLA, and USC will show why the Pac-12 was a tough league this year...............

Rankings are only that; they still have play the games.

Ken Pomeroy hates my Friars (49) but what can you do? The guy really knows his stuff and I’ve followed it for years.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    No. I do follow CBB. I just don't like little schools who spend all of their funds on the sports entertainment buisness rather than putting it into academics. So I am 100% anti Gonazega and look forward to them losing.

That's silly. Gonzaga has one of the best academic reputations in the country and constantly invest in their school academically.

If you follow CBB, why are you talking like it's still 2009? The WCC isn't a joke, Gonzaga is clearly an elite program (they sent 3 guys to the NBA last year alone), and they've made the Sweet 16 six straight times, something only 3 other schools have ever done. Oh, and their former assistant turned Arizona into the #2 school in the country in one year. Clearly, Gonzaga is doing something right.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    Az, UCLA, and USC will show why the Pac-12 was a tough league this year...............

Oregon beat UCLA 2x this year and split with USC, so I don't think that really says much that Gonzaga beat them or the >others as Oregon did not even make it into the NCAA this year.............

So, which is it? UCLA and USC are super-tough or they're nothing?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2022 7:17PM

@spacehayduke said:
    Shows how much bias there is when UH is a #5 seed. Final 4 last year, won the reg season and tournament this year, pounded Memphis today, shows why the seedings are always a joke. Sweet 16 minimum................ And Duke is a fluke.

I saw UH in the Maui Invitational and they didn't look very impressive. That was early of course. I am editing as I see you think they should have been a 2 seed. I don't really see that but I guess we'll see if they show it on the court.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@spacehayduke said:
    Az, UCLA, and USC will show why the Pac-12 was a tough league this year...............

Oregon beat UCLA 2x this year and split with USC, so I don't think that really says much that Gonzaga beat them or the >others as Oregon did not even make it into the NCAA this year.............

They’re as tough in basketball as they are in football. UCLA was pretty awesome in last years tournament though.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@spacehayduke said:

They’re as tough in basketball as they are in football. UCLA was pretty awesome in last years tournament though.

Yeah, UCLA was awesome in last year's tourney. And played in the game of the tournament against Gonzaga.

• Options

Playin games started tonight. I just never cared too much about them. But come Thursday thru Sunday, Watchout - gonna be glued to the TV B)

• Options

Mark's Michigan Wolverines advance to the next round.

Michigan - 75
    Colorado State - 63

• Options

The South Dakota State Jackrabbits 21 game winning streak comes to an end as they lose to Providence.

Providence - 66
    S. Dakota State - 57

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
                               It was a great game today.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Don't look now, but Longwood's fighting Lancers are getting spanked by Tennessee. Spanked!

• Options

Spank you, spank you very much.

• Options

Go Friars!

• Options

Wow! St Peters just took down #2seed Kentucky - What a game!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Everyone is vulnerable

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Other half was exercising

Missed games until just now.

Got a few Bracket Number upsets

UConn went down too

• Options

Another good one today ........

Hey Hawkeyes - WHA HOPPENED...................

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blue Bloods go down to Saints on Saint Patricks Day

St Marys beats Indiana to a bloody pulp
    St Peters beats Kentucky

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Wow! St Peters just took down #2seed Kentucky - What a game!!!!!!!!!

Oh shut up... :( Well I hope the rest of you enjoy March Madness '22 as I now already have no reason to care about it anymore... :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

You can enjoy a close game.

Flip around until you get one.

I’m waiting on Ar-Kansas to turn it up on Vermont. But Vermont is hanging in.

• Options

Vermont lost its mojo with mr big off the floor

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    You can enjoy a close game.

Flip around until you get one.

I’m waiting on Ar-Kansas to turn it up on Vermont. But Vermont is hanging in.

Same thing with AKRON vs UCLA

• Options

Both Akron and Vermont are upset

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Blue Bloods go down to Saints on Saint Patricks Day

St Marys beats Indiana to a bloody pulp
    St Peters beats Kentucky

m

St Mary’s has UCLA next.

They lost to Gonzaga by 12 in the conference final so should be a close one

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Duke was down by seven to Syracuse today but managed to pull off the victory, of course Coach >K had that look on his face when they were down.

While we're on this subject (and yes this is coming from a UK fan/alumnus) I wanted to congratulate 'K on not only his retirement but would you believe his 42 seasons at Duke are the same as Adolph Rupp's 42 years with us? So I guess this means to Duke 'K means every bit as much to them as Rupp does to us? Not to mention 'K holds the all time coaching wins record just as Rupp used to.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars