Home Precious Metals
Options

APMEX at Coin shows

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 4, 2022 6:58AM in Precious Metals

I've seen the APMEX booth at coin shows. They never have anything for sale. Has anybody had any experience with APMEX buying metals at a coin show?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

APMEX. AMPEX is a data storage company that used to be big in cassette tape manufacturing.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't comment on apmex being at shows. But does anyone else think they've picked the absolute worst name conceivable?
    It is difficult to say, it doesn't have an associated meaning so it's hard to remember. APMEX was previously American Precious Metals Exchange (APMEx), but shortened to the acronym in 2000.
    There's a benefit to having a short, easy to remember name. It works well with a website, in marketing copy, etc. But I think they tried to get too fancy by acting like they were a legit commodities exchange instead of a privately held company.

FWIW: I've had several dealings with them and they're always 100% top notch. Just hate the name.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

They used to set up at Long Beach most every show as buyers. Never saw anything for sale at their booth. They usually had several buyers also walking the show looking at dealer inventory for needed items. Everything I ever sold to them they paid fair prices.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased a few things from APMEX, gifts for others.... The service and quality has been great. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name could be worse. At least they didn't have a marketing disaster like this one from the early 80's.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    joelazjoelaz Posts: 9 ✭✭

Do they come to the East Coast shows? Curious if they will be at the upcoming Baltimore show.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

They set up, but mostly just to have a booth to work out of. They go to shows to buy inventory that they sell retail. I remember seeing most of their space taken up by large safes they store the merch in before shipping it.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been a few years ago, but I did sell substantial amount of gold to APMEX at one of the Baltimore shows. It went smooth, and I knew what I would be getting, because at that time APMEX posted their buy price on their website. Again, that was at least 9 or 10 years ago.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love me some APMEX.
    And Provident.
    And JM.
    And a few choice others.
    It would be fun to see any of the big boy bullion/coin dealers at shows.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Difficult name indeed.

Other unfortunate choices:

Bought my ASUS computer just a few years before all the turmoil with ISIS.

I know of a store that recently opened selling homemade cookies and the owner 'Kim' called it 'Kim-Kims-Kookies' (spelt witha 'K'). Well it wasn't long when on social media everyone was posting your company is racist!!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive sold too them in Baltimore a couple times. I dont think they had anything at the table for sale, but you could order stuff like monster boxes for delivery.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've only been to one big show since years ago. The only big bullion producer I saw there was the Austrian Mint and I picked up a couple silver Philharmonics.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey apmex fans I got an email survey from them the other day and afterwards I got a code for$15 off if you spend $150

Survey15

I haven't tried it yet maybe it will work for anyone though

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I've only been to one big show since years ago. The only big bullion producer I saw there was the Austrian Mint and I picked up a couple silver Philharmonics.

i can't stand those , too much going on with all the instruments