Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 19 (1901-1902-O)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2022 7:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

We kick things off with one of the biggest condition rarities in the series - the 1901. Moderately tough in circulated grades, the 1901 is a challenge to find in MS and extremely rare in gem. The finest known is a single MS66. There is but one coin in PL and one in DMPL. I have never seen a nicely toned one, so for this slot it makes a lot of sense to go for a strong AU. AU55 and AU58 grades are available in just about any major auction although it is hard to find one without issues. This coin is free of hairlines and still has strong luster.

1901 AU58

The 1901-O is just above common, PLs are available but DMPLs are quite tough. Like most 20th century Morgans, toned examples are rare or non-existent. Here is another MS65PL coin that I just love. I haven’t checked but I would guess that MS65PL is the most common grade I have in my set. This one is borderline DMPL with about as much cameo as you get for the date. The reverse cloudiness is just die polish lines.

1901-O MS65PL CAC

Unfortunately, at this time I still do not have a 1901-S. :frowning:

1902 is an overlooked date. PLs are very tough and there is but one DMPL at PCGS. Finding a nice white one isn’t too hard as they do come nice, but anything with color is elusive. Even the Sunnywood coin has just a small splash of obverse color (although it is pretty and the reverse is toned too). Mine is about as nicely toned as any I’ve seen but it certainly isn’t a rainbow.

1902 MS64

1902-O is fairly common and PLs aren’t too tough although they will have next-to-no cameo contrast. DMPLs are rare but there are a handful of decent toners. The Sunnywood 02-O looks beautiful (though I haven’t seen it in hand) and I was the underbidder on it. Mine is a lower grade but I think the color pattern is even cooler. It is the only end-roll toner I own. Purchased from a forum member!

1902-O MS64+CAC

As always, thanks for reading and post a few of your own 1901 - 1902 coins!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 .... Another great Morgan post.... super pictures and nice coins. I would recommend that anyone contemplating a Morgan series, bookmark or print out your series of posts as great reference material. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set of coins for these dates. You have obviously been very discriminatory with all your purchases and armed with great knowledge of the series to pick out such suburb specimens. Like them all but that psychedelic 02-O is wild.

• Options

@ricko and @coastaljerseyguy - thank you both for the very kind words!

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome set you have there! Thank you for sharing with us! Most appreciated!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

David: thank you for sharing this really wonderful grouping of coins. It is a terrific set.

Tom

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your continued sharing of this post. Your Morgans are beyond most words, but your comments add to the beautiful presentation.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142
    Your Morgan Collection is truly special in so many ways.
    You have everything,... PL, +, DMPL, Color Toned, and more.
    The dedication you put into assembling this set is simply amazing.
    The coins you have selected for each Date/MM are so awesome.
    I know the search for those took lots of time and effort.
    This series of short Morgan posts you have been adding from time to time are wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing. :)
    B)

• Options
    edited August 17, 2022 12:42PM

Update!

The last coin I needed for my set was the 1901-S. This coin is readily available in 63 or 64 but many aren’t particularly nice or lustrous, much like the 04-S. However, given that this and the 91-CC were my last two coins (bought at the same time) I was extremely picky. Prooflike examples are quite rare as PCGS has certified just 41, none finer than 65. The coins are usually decently struck but this one is absolutely hammered, very flashy and has surprisingly good contrast for a 20th century Morgan. The fields are extremely clean and there is no haze whatsoever. It is one of the highlights of my set.

1901-S MS64+PL CAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file