Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A very cool bust half error coin that just went for moon money

liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am by no means an expert on double struck errors, but this coin went for $6100 on the bay. The seller is an acquaintance of mine, and he really had no clue as to value. I knew it was very nice and unique but was shocked at the final number. What do the knowledgeable error guys say?

liefgold

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm sure no error expert, but that is a very striking (pun intended) error! Plus it looks totally original. There is a lot of money sloshing around out there looking to be spent, and you just need 2 people fixated on such a scarce item. And there are plenty of bust half collectors.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, checking bid history 2 folks going at it full guns then a 3rd jumps in to raise it a grand.....

maybe I need to start listing my errors

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool and dramatic. The date looks like a water reflection. Don't see that too often.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very interesting double strike. So many cool things going on.

I agree with @Nysoto , in that coin probably should have been offered up for a major auction company, or to Sheridan for one of his MB auctions. That could have been a bargain for the winner, or it could have been a fair price, but without all the yes, it's hard to tell.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 3:20AM

Cool coin. That and a few interested people is all it takes to drive the price up.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised it did not go for more money.... and that is likely because it was not offered in a major coin auction house. The buyer will likely have it offered soon in a major venue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 8:12AM

Agree. Underpriced

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much interest in these "big" coins with errors that you can clearly see.
    When I put something like this under my microscope, I only see huge letters and stars and stuff. Very confusing 😕

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a great coin and appears to have been an enormous bargain for the buyer!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction price for non error XF40 is about 1600 last year so I am not sure how much bargain is for this error at 6100. I guess error is now very hot so it might go higher in major auction.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction price for non error XF40 is about 1600 last year so I am not sure how much bargain is for this error at 6100. I guess error is now very hot so it might go higher in major auction.

?

$9987 1806 DBH Off Center Damaged NGC VF details 10-4-2016 Heritage
    $9418 1807 DBH Off Center NGC AU53 9-8-2016 Heritage
    $23,000 1806 DBH Double Struck Graffiti NCS VG details Heritage 7-31-2008

Sorry, I couldn't find an auction record for a double struck and off center DBH, details or graded.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

You find me another apparently problem-free and original, mid-grade, double-struck DBH in a PCGS holder with both strikes fairly visible on both sides and I guess we can discuss the premium. Until then...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Non error Sold on Aug 10, 2021 for: $1260. How much you want for an error that really is up to how many bidders want that coin at the time but I guess 6100 is a good buy. It could go double or more in a good auction.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-half-dollars/half-dollars/1807-50c-draped-bust-xf40-pcgs-pcgs-population-152-448-ngc-census-93-346-cdn-1-250-whsle-bid-for-ngc-pcgs-xf40/a/132132-23465.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    Non error Sold on Aug 10, 2021 for: $1260. How much you want for an error that really is up to how many bidders want that coin at the time but I guess 6100 is a good buy. It could go double or more in a good auction.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-half-dollars/half-dollars/1807-50c-draped-bust-xf40-pcgs-pcgs-population-152-448-ngc-census-93-346-cdn-1-250-whsle-bid-for-ngc-pcgs-xf40/a/132132-23465.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The non-error prices are almost entirely irrelevant.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a great buy at that price. Cool error and great crust!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file