Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old price tags? The kind that make you wish you had a time machine?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites. BU roll of matching 1923-P peace dollars.
I paid $370 in September of 2010. But the cat who owned them before me didn't even pay half that much.

Got any stupid crazy low price tags from way back in the day?

And some gold I picked up in 2017. The $10 was good gold, but counterfeit.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might have to bookmark this one to look at in 10 years to see how I did on some of my purchases!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish had time machine.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

No real numismatic value but i will buy this kinda stuff when i see it….
    Love this thread! Let’s keep it going!!!

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this thread will be amazing or depressing lol. I don't have any labels like this, but I do remember paying 1/2 of what junk silver goes for now back when I bought most of it in 2013-2014.

• Options
    RandomsRandoms Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

In theory most of what you buy today should be worth more in ten years time.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 1:08PM

@2windy2fish said:
    No real numismatic value but i will buy this kinda stuff when i see it….
    Love this thread! Let’s keep it going!!!

nice!

it is fun to imagine someone back then saying, i'm not paying .35c for a 3cs! 1.25 for a copper circulated large cent, no way!

i sold some 3cs that were tantamount to being called destroyed and STILL sold them for WAY over melt. fwiw

ok.enough rambling. time for a late lunch.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Randoms said:
    In theory most of what you buy today should be worth more in ten years time.

In today's dollars, or inflated dollars? 🤔

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 4:46PM

Used to get these for ~350 to maybe 500 for MS64 - maybe 900 for MS65 and it was not that long ago!!!
    This coin has to be the one that appreciated the most in the last 12 to 24 months for gem and above grades. There is a mS 66 VAM 1F for 30 grand on eBay .... and someone will probably buy it too... it’s still my favorite coin of the 20th century - the 1921 High Relief Peace Dollar!!!

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured the stampede for the '21 peace would slow down in 2022 and beyond. But prices still seem quite strong.

Along the same lines...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If l’m gonna use a time machine, l’ll get them at face value. Not sure how you could get them using what passes for money today though.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2003, I bought a roll of 1923 p dollars for like $100 bucks you couldn't give them away. They were 63 or 64 coins!!

Ken
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Not sure how you could get them using what passes for money today though.

There was a time when these two were interchangeable. Just sayin'.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Smudge said:
    Not sure how you could get them using what passes for money today though.

There was a time when these two were interchangeable. Just sayin'.

Yea, but the dates would trip you up.

• Options

@Smudge said:

What do you mean?

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Smudge said:

What do you mean?

The date on the note series number. If it said series 2017 for instance.

• Options

@Smudge said:

@MasonG said:

@Smudge said:

What do you mean?

The date on the note series number. If it said series 2017 for instance.

Sure, that's right. But the note I showed was from 1928. A quick eBay search shows you could get a 1928 note for not much more than face value. Can you get a gold double eagle for anywhere near that? ;)

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Along the same lines, this BU roll of quarters has been taped up and sealed since May 28th of 1964 according to the tape.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the other hand . . .

Does anyone have a price tag from 1964 for a 1950-D nickel or a roll of 1960-D small date cents?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why I have this, but lots of nice prices for gold coins.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought an ancient coin in an auction for about $900. It came in an envelop from the early 1960s that had $4 on it. :o

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss the days of buying Saints for $400... (around 1999)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Type 2 gold dollar came with an old Kraft paper envelope marked $6.00, which is crossed out and replaced with $8.50.

mirabela
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such prices are amazing when viewing now.... However, those of us around then, made less money and had less disposable money at that time. Plus inflation, greatly expanded collector base, and wider market. All contribute to prices today. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is life when you could get those prices.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Here is life when you could get those prices.

Perhaps a bit more colorful.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, these rolls are all filled with silver, and were purchased at the bank at face value in 1964.
    Shortly before that, rolls of Morgan and Peace dollars we’re likewise purchased for face, or close to that.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nwcoast said:
    Well, these rolls are all filled with silver, and were purchased at the bank at face value in 1964.
    Shortly before that, rolls of Morgan and Peace dollars we’re likewise purchased for face, or close to that.

I remember telling my dad in 1964 to go to the bank and get rolls of dimes, quarters, halfs, and dollars.
    I also remember him telling me, what do you know, your only a little kid.
    Yeah, I remember it well!

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

I remember telling my dad in 1964 to go to the bank and get rolls of dimes, quarters, halfs, and dollars.
    I also remember him telling me, what do you know, your only a little kid.
    Yeah, I remember it well!

You must have been one SMART kid! 😀

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must have been one SMART kid! 😀

Ha Ha
    If he would have listened.................Rich too

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file