Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone think this may be an 18/7-D?

opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2022 11:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm struggling more than I should with this one. I bought it because I thought the mintmark looked correct, and the 8 looks a little squiggly inside the loops. No sign of a die crack on the face. Any thoughts? (to enlarge pics, right click and open in a new tab).

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it to me. Obviously, the die started out uncracked so there should be some without it.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me as well, though there are others here with far more expertise in Buffalo attribution than me.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not in tune with Buffs.
    Quite sure you will get an experts opinion soon.
    Will wait to hear what they say.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's difficult to tell with that much wear. Do you have any Nic-A-Date? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the overdate to me. The mis-shapen F and the partially missing interior of the bottom feather give weight to it's genuineness. The die crack appeared very early in the life of the obverse die, so there are some that do not show it.

DO NOT restore the date. Let a TPG look at it.

Compare the above to yours.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't the top of the 8 be flat?

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'm pretty sure you have a real deal 18/17 D.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Shouldn't the top of the 8 be flat?

If there's enough meat on the bone the top would appear flat. The best diagnostic IMO on the obverse is the offset on the loops of the 8, on the reverse the mint mark is left of center and rotated a degree or 2 to the left (as I learned in another thread on the subject last week).

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks authentic.... That being said, why not send it in for evaluation.... I would not recommend using nic-o-date, since that will affect value if authentic. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any luck with that one yet?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series for sure, but I would go against all above and say no.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, you got good advice on not using Nic-A-Date on it.

Second, it is definitely the 1918/7-D. On the overdate, the two holes in the 8 are diagonal, while on the regular 1918-D, the holes in the 8 are vertical.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Uh i think the poster (Perry) who first mentioned nicadate was being facetious. Notice the wink? ;)

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it to me as well. Congrats!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel the 8 is flat under the anomaly on top. Do not know what it is for sure, damage or whatever, but the top left and right of the 8 looks to start out flat. Great pickup. I believe you have a winner. Send that sucker in.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 12:19PM

I agree, looks like the 0verdate, and god please dont do anything too it especially nick a date.

I cant tell you the number of times people clean stuff up before they bring it in, thinking it helps.

The biggest save i ever made was a guy who located an 1824/2 Large cent in a building tear down, coin being dusky and dirty he was going to clean it,I said, not leave it as is. There is a service for that, What I thought was a possible 55-58 turned out to be a 62BN and huge winner.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:
    Uh i think the poster (Perry) who first mentioned nicadate was being facetious. Notice the wink? ;)

Of course I was joking which is why I used the winky emoji. :)
    That coin looks fine the way it is and there's enough detail for PCGS to make a determination. After you send it in, please let us know the results.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file