Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins from 1900-122 years old

Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this date a lot. Post your coins from 1900!

Comments

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful for 122 yrs old. Nope, I don't have a single coin that old.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Is that your birth year?

Yes, I'm the world's oldest coin collector....I got those coins from the mint when I was a baby.

• Options

@FullHorn Good looking half eagle, what's the grade?

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Hi Eldo-
    I’m down with the date- the top proof $20 and top proof $10- both with CAC approval

God, I love your coins. one word...."perfection"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

1900 - the 19th century comes to an end. Nice coins!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@Floridafacelifter I've got a fairly fit wife, and some good kidneys......you do trades? ;)

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:
    @Floridafacelifter I've got a fairly fit wife, and some good kidneys......you do trades? ;)

Haha I won’t tell her you said that! What happens on the forum stays on the forum!

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh... never realized before, the double-eagle lady liberty is like the beautiful daughter of the single-eagle lady (who probably has a "great personality"... :smiley: )

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

While El D has always offered beautiful coins(and I mean beautiful), I believe @Floridafacelifter has outdone everyone. Those are two of the most beautiful gold coins I have ever seen. Congrats on ownership. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    While El D has always offered beautiful coins(and I mean beautiful), I believe @Floridafacelifter has outdone everyone. Those are two of the most beautiful gold coins I have ever seen. Congrats on ownership. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

Much appreciated- thank you! And I second the endorsement of Eldo’s awesome collection- I always enjoy his posts!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only 1900 coin I have. Night and day difference between mine and @Floridafacelifter but hey it’s an ounce of gold.

Those are probably the two nicest proof gold coins I’ve ever seen.

• Options

I was just on the Heritage auction, and bid on this PF-67+ Cam monster! I was beat out unfortunately....You win some, you lose some. Anybody here win it?

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:
    Huh... never realized before, the double-eagle lady liberty is like the beautiful daughter of the single-eagle lady (who probably has a "great personality"... :smiley: )

Every time I see the five dollar coin, Liberty on there reminds me of a swimmer who was on the club swim team of my kids. He is a very good looking guy and the profile of the face is an exact replica.
    The 20$ coin by far has the best looking Liberty. :)

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2022 11:06PM
    1. @Floridafacelifter , I almost ruined my iPad due to all of my drool that’s now all over it! PCGS forced the graders not to give them grades of PR70DCAM!
    2. Here are my only two coins dated 1900. The first is my IHC graded MS66+RD by PCGS with both a CAC and Eagle Eye Photo Seal. The second shows the slab of the other coin with info:

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 and @Floridafacelifter... Those are absolutely beautiful, stunning, amazing double eagles. WOW!! Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2022 6:47AM

I have a couple.

The Lafayette Dollars were actually struck in mid December 1899.

I have more coins from 1800 than 1900. I guess it shows what I like to collect.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Some beauties above guys! Thank you for sharing. 1900 a very cool date to be sure.....Lots of interesting coins.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

In an old ANACS alpha-numeric holder.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:

@winesteven said:
    1. @Floridafacelifter , I almost ruined my iPad due to all of my drool that’s now all over it! PCGS forced the graders not to give them grades of PR70DCAM!
    Steve

Haha thanks- here are the slab photos- the $10 is actually the highest graded proof for the entire 70 years (1838-1907) of the Liberty $10 series

I've got some modern proof coins in PF-70dcam slabs that don't look as good as those! 122 years old and never been touched! AMAZING!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

I've got some modern proof coins in PF-70dcam slabs that don't look as good as those! 122 years old and never been touched! AMAZING!

So many of these proof gold coins have no original provenance attached to them- only modern provenance- I guess with Brand and others ordering them by the dozen they were the widgets of their time? Hard to imagine….

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter Those are stunning! Interesting that they don’t often have provenances, you would think that with so few known they would be easier to trace. Have you ever tried to find out the provenances yourself?

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2022 12:40PM

@FlyingAl said:
    @Floridafacelifter Those are stunning! Interesting that they don’t often have provenances, you would think that with so few known they would be easier to trace. Have you ever tried to find out the provenances yourself?

I do find it fun to try to do some research- to me it makes collecting more interesting to know where a coin has been during its life. Currently chasing down the origin of an 1829 $5 in MS62 CAC that I recently purchased.

Of the 9 known published in Heritage Auctions “Roster of 1829 Small Date Half Eagles (expanded from earlier work by Saul Teichman, Wayne Burt, and Walter Breen).”, it may be this one but I would need to find the image:
    3. Mint State, Prooflike. Thomas Cleneay (Chapman Brothers, 12/1890), lot 574; Byron Reed Collection; Omaha City Library/Western Heritage Museum (Spink America/Christies, 10/1996), lot 118. In the Spink/Christies catalog, the cataloger stated that Byron Reed acquired this coin from the Emery, Taylor, and Loomis Collection (W.E. Woodward, 3/1880). However, the plate from the Cleneay catalog is an exact match for this specimen.

I don’t have any old catalogs and find the NNP very difficult to navigate, but it’s fun to try! Wouldn’t happen to have a Cleneay catalog would you?

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1900-S $10 is one of my favorite underrated dates:

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter I definitely don’t have a Cleneay catalog :wink:. I did find your info very fascinating, I don’t have any coins that are near to rare enough to start tracking anything down so I’ve always wondered if the collectors of high level stuff track the provenances down.

Good luck with the 1829 half eagle, looks like you have a great start to me!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @Floridafacelifter I definitely don’t have a Cleneay catalog :wink:. I did find your info very fascinating, I don’t have any coins that are near to rare enough to start tracking anything down so I’ve always wondered if the collectors of high level stuff track the provenances down.

Good luck with the 1829 half eagle, looks like you have a great start to me!

Thank you- I know lots of members say they don’t care about provenance but for me anyway it’s all part of the fun of the hobby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file