Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

286 coins out for grading (None left!)

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 6, 2022 7:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

At what point do you cross over that line between hobbyist and dealer that collects on the side?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

282 coins out sounds like your are a dealer.

Congrats :)

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Maybe if you have and submit hundreds/thousands of coins, and never sell any, you are neither a hobbyist or a dealer...
    'hoarder', 'maniac', 'speculator', ... :wink:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you send in a bulk submission to the TPGs :smile:

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got about 200 I have to submit myself, but my day job gets in the way.

I consider myself an advanced collector selling off duplicates :D

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

hmm.... are they collectible coins or did you send off a silver eagles monster box

• Options
    edited February 22, 2022 1:26PM

@OPA said:
    When you are issued a 1099 ;)

Still got 10 months then!

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Not sure if I should be congratulated for turning a hobby into an obsession. :neutral:

@moursund said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Maybe if you have and submit hundreds/thousands of coins, and never sell any, you are neither a hobbyist or a dealer...
    'hoarder', 'maniac', 'speculator', ... :wink:

Gosh, I couldn't afford to not sell most of these unless I wanted to be bankrupt.

@FlyingAl said:
    When you send in a bulk submission to the TPGs :smile:

Ok yeah, I definitely crossed this line in December.

@Connecticoin said:
    I got about 200 I have to submit myself, but my day job gets in the way.

I consider myself an advanced collector selling off duplicates :D

Yeah, duplicates, that's the ticket.

@mavs2583 said:
    hmm.... are they collectible coins or did you send off a silver eagles monster box

All collectable. Well, I mean, the bulk sub has something like 120 1879-S Morgans on it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if you are both now.... Good luck in both your endeavors... If the business does not work out, you can always enjoy your 'collection'. :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Thats more than all of my orders (barely) since I started in 2020. Takes quite a bit of ... fund-allocation commitment, doesnt it?
    You're ... dedicated. ;)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you keep the best sell the rest.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:

The only way. Keeping maybe uh, 5 of em? Absolute tops.

• Options

@Type2 said:

This, This, This !!!!!

My mantra

• Options

Oh I can play that game ...

• Options

2/5 PCGS subs in encap.

2/3 NGC subs in encap.

Hopefully some grades next week.

• Options

First 3 grades in from a regrade sub, no changes. Tight! New certs though so hopefully some beans in my future.

32 coins in QA at PCGS, F5ing today.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    First 3 grades in from a regrade sub, no changes. Tight! New certs though so hopefully some beans in my future.

What is F5ing?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@moursund said:

@DelawareDoons said:

What is F5ing?

Having the submission page open and pressing f5 on the keyboard to refresh. A lot.

:grin:

• Options

@DelawareDoons Do you mind sharing what was in there? I’ve been wondering for a while now lol :smile:

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job 👏

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

Wow that’s quite the haul congrats!

• Options

The two walkers and last ASE aren't mine either... but everything else is. Several of those coins have featured in recent threads of mine too, like the 1984 Olympic $1.

• Options

NGC Bulk sub results are in, and my other PCGS order is in QA, so probably have those by end of day.

NGC Bulk standouts;

1878 8TF MS64 X2
    1879-S MS66 X11
    1879-S MS65PL
    1880-S MS66+
    1883-S MS60
    1885-S MS61
    1887 MS66
    1892 MS63 x2
    1900-O/CC MS64
    1900-O/CC MS65
    1900-S MS61
    1902-S AU58

Whole buncha other really good $200+ coins too but I had to draw the line somewhere.

• Options

Where the hell do you get 11 79-S's at 66?

• Options

@DelawareDoons I don’t think there’s any doubt in my mind anymore that you have transitioned to dealer. I don’t know any collector that has 11 duplicates of the same coin. :smiley: Congrats!

• Options

I suspect that toner looks better in hand - I think TV mutes the luster too much at times on the toners.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2022 7:57PM

More grades in.

Thought the FEC was a 58. Figured the half had a 50/50 shot at grading, I'll crack that one and try again. 1920 quarter came in a grade higher than I expected. Everything else pretty much as expected. The Merc, I graded that because it was a $10 cherrypick lol.

• Options

@DelawareDoons How on earth do you manage to cherry-pick a 1941 proof Merc in 66? And for ten dollars at that! I’m stunned!

• Options
    edited April 6, 2022 7:04AM

Got the other grades in over the past week... Though I have sent a handful more out for grading as well. Not sure how I missed the PVC, I'll have to fix that.

I was expecting a solid 25% of these to bodybag, so this many straight grades is a big surprise.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons.... You have done extraordinarily well.... Super huge submissions. You have a good eye... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2022 7:56AM

Amazing result @DelawareDoons!

Lots of interesting coins!

Trade Dollar
    Half Dime
    CC Morgans
    1921 HR Peace!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! That's quite the "batting average"!

As far as the dealer/collector conundrum... I recall something about "not getting high off your own supply" that makes you a dealer... ;)

Thanks again for taking a look at my quarter eagle!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats. B)
    Hopefully my 27 coin order since 2/9 will progress from Grading soon.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a pretty good system going last year.

Submit six, sell five, and keep one.

Nothing major but I never lost money.

I have thousands of baseball cards milling around and being listed on Ebay.

Seriously, careful what you wish for... lol

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited April 6, 2022 12:07PM

@DelawareDoons said:

@Connecticoin said:
    Where the hell do you get 11 79-S's at 66?

I purchased 17 original, unpicked rolls. That's where the 67 in my earlier sub came from, as well as all the other 79-S toners in the latter half of that group.

You still did not tell us where :D:D

Also, would like to know your favorite spots for catching 10 lb largemouth bass.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if any are going to CAC?
    I believe you crossed over to dealer :)
    Congrats

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    Wonder if any are going to CAC?
    I believe you crossed over to dealer :)
    Congrats

I got the first of the last batch (the group that includes the '77-S trade) back yesterday and sent a box to CAC today, yeah, with about 85 coins and $56k in stuff in it. Sorry JA and CO. :anguished:

Times like right now where I've bought maybe 5 coins this week don't make me feel like a dealer... It's really slowed down, I'm just left with this pile of like 250 slabs to unwind. Not that I'm complaining, I really needed a slower month here to get things unwound and make some money back, my poor credit score is looking rough since I run this whole shebang off credit cards.

• Options

@stawick said:
    Congrats. B)
    Hopefully my 27 coin order since 2/9 will progress from Grading soon.

These last two orders were Regular and Econ received 12/27 and finalized a week apart, with the econ being done this AM. So... don't get your hopes up too much, but I'm rooting for ya!

• Options

@lkenefic said:
    Congrats! That's quite the "batting average"!

Thanks... Just a blind squirrel getting nuts.

As far as the dealer/collector conundrum... I recall something about "not getting high off your own supply" that makes you a dealer... ;)

Well this is me with coins;

Thanks again for taking a look at my quarter eagle!!

And you're welcome Re the QE. They check it in yet?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

And you're welcome Re the QE. They check it in yet?

Just checked... received today for express service and a TV. I'll let you know how it goes...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    At what point do you cross over that line between hobbyist and dealer that collects on the side?

will you, at some point, add the first cert # to each order, if regular or higher, so those of us nosy curious people can look through them. diverse orders like yours are especially interesting, imo.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@DelawareDoons said:

will you, at some point, add the first cert # to each order, if regular or higher, so those of us nosy curious people can look through them. diverse orders like yours are especially interesting, imo.

I've added the grades via screenshots for everything that is mine (at least for PCGS) and the rest I don't want to step on toes, so I can't do that.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    I've added the grades via screenshots for everything that is mine (at least for PCGS) and the rest I don't want to step on toes, so I can't do that.

no probs. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file