Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up a "run" of 1953 frosty Franklins. UPDATE - GRADES RECEIVED

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 7, 2022 10:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found them at a local show in OGP boxed sets a dealer had acquired from a long time collector on the east coast.

The halves were hazed over but I saw two sided frost and mirrored fields through the cello and haze.

Sold.

Yesterday I removed the haze and four eye appealing coins revealed themselves (see photos).

Every so often I have found "runs" of potential Cameos (coins apparently struck one after another from fresh dies).

That is always a treat.

These four half dollars are the earliest year of such "run" coins I have found.

Maybe one day I will find a "run" of these halves from 1950, 1951, 1952, 1956 Type 1, 1959, 1961 DDR, 1964 AH and/or 1965 SMS.

Next stop for these coins is PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Very nice. How did you remove the haze?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find. If youi don't mind my asking, how did you remove the haze? Acetone only? I have used xylol with good results

Tom

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look really nice!

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I hope they grade well for you.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look great - nice and frosty!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coins!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII How about the rest of the coins? Any other cams or toners?
    Martin

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look great! Hope we get to see the grading results.

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a little registry set of Franklin halves, each with peripheral toning like this one. Its taken me over 5 years and I still need a couple of the set of 35. I haven't paid attention to whether each coin had "full bell lines" as I don't care.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably grade em a B. Beautiful. Great find!

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:
    @SanctionII How about the rest of the coins? Any other cams or toners?
    Martin

The Jefferson nickels could use a bump in 1953 DCAMs if you have any from those sets.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cameos!
    Check the cents for doubled die obverses, the nickels too. The quarters have a ddo and recut tail feathers. Worth checking out.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome find and work! I too am interested on how you removed the haze?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII ... Those Franklin halves look really good.... Certainly appear to be CAM's and likely DCAM. Let us know how they grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I have not looked at the other coins in the four 1953 proof sets since I picked up the sets last month at the local show. I will have to take a look and see if there are any other coins worthy of discussing.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would also like to know how you removed the haze.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin,

Looks like you had a good day at the show. I'm sure that made your day.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply on your cleaning process.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    The haze was removed by dipping the coins for 1-2 seconds in diluted (4 parts water to 1 part dip) of E-Zest. Light haze on silver and nickel proof and SMS coins from 1950 forward can usually be removed this way without negative results.

Removing heavier haze and removing toning on these coins is a much more iffy thing. Doing so may end up making the appearance of the coin worse in various ways.

Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    The haze was removed by dipping the coins for 1-2 seconds in diluted (4 parts water to 1 part dip) of E-Zest. Light haze on silver and nickel proof and SMS coins from 1950 forward can usually be removed this way without negative results.

Removing heavier haze and removing toning on these coins is a much more iffy thing. Doing so may end up making the appearance of the coin worse in various ways.

Yes, thank you. I don't normally dilute dip. Normally I simply rely upon the length of dip. Your suggestion sounds much safer and more protective for the coin. 4/1 solution. that sounds wonderful.

Tom

• Options

I took Cameonut's suggestion and tonight I looked at the other coins in the 4 1953 proof sets.

Like the half dollars the quarters, dimes, nickels and cents appear to have been struck consecutively.

I found no varieties in these coins. The 4 nickels have Cameo obverses and brilliant reverses. The 4 cents are gorgeous orange blazers. The 4 dimes and 4 quarters have light haze and are very attractive. These coins held up well in the cello, are well preserved and IMO would all grade 65 and higher, especially the cents.

• Options

The four 1953 Proof Half dollars have been graded by our host. Graded posted today.

The coins graded PF66, PF66, PF66 and PF65.

None received a Cameo designation :'(

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

Dis you take pre-haze removal pictures for comparison? If so, would you post those?

Thanks

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said: The four 1953 Proof Half dollars have been graded by our host. Graded posted today. The coins graded PF66, PF66, PF66 and PF65. None received a Cameo designation.

You seem to be running up quite a bill for tuition lately, what are you learning about the PCGS criteria for a Cameo and Deep Cameo designation on coins from this era?? My impression from the images is that the coins you're selecting to submit have either slight breaks in the frost or fields which aren't mirrored enough due to over-used dies and stress flow lines.

• Options

Maywood.

What the grade results from my 2021 and 2022 submissions of 1950-1970 proof and SMS coinage teach me about the dividing lines between brilliant and Cameo; and between Cameo and DCAM is nothing new.

These grade results reinforce my understanding that awarding or denying a designation is subjective and is a matter of opinion (the opinion of the grader who grades a given coin today at 1:00 p.m. would likely be different than the opinion of the same grader about the same coin made 2 years earlier or two years after the grade opinion given today).

Whether or not my personal opinion of grade and designation agrees with the opinion of PCGS (or another collector or dealer) is of no importance other than water cooler discussion.

If a PCGS grade and designation exceeds my own opinion I will not ask PCGS to downgrade the coin. However if the PCGS grade and designation is below my own opinion, PCGS will gladly look at the coin a second time, third time, etc. (and either stand by its original opinion or issue a different opinion) provided I pay the required fee.

An interesting aspect of the hobby, one of many which have contributed to a successful business model for over 35 years now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file