Home U.S. Coin Forum

This is whizzed, right?

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 21, 2022 6:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

All I know about whizzing is that people used to do it a lot and it hardly happens anymore. I'm not sure i've ever seen a whizzed coin... but this is whizzed, right? Or just plain counterfeit?

This is HK-302, the official medal for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, in brass. The second picture is how it's supposed to look. The first one, no so much.

FWIW, the weights are basically the same for the two pieces: 16.3 grams for the bad one, 16.7 grams for the good one.

All pictures were taken in a row, with the same lighting. This isn't a matter of enlarging a grainy picture. The medals really do look like that.

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks to be a whizzed coin

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably. Need better pictures.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is whizzed, I would be curious as to what they used. I don't guess I've ever seen whiz marks like the one's on this coin. It looks like a sand molded coin.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far beyon whizzed....

• GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Yes

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it may have been done in ignorance rather than maliciously.

Collector, occasional seller

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    If it is whizzed, I would be curious as to what they used. I don't guess I've ever seen whiz marks like the one's on this coin. It looks like a sand molded coin.

Yeah, I was thinking it looks more like a cast copy.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

Yeah, I was thinking it looks more like a cast copy.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks it to me as well

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Looks like it may have been done in ignorance rather than maliciously.

You can say the same about virtually every harshly cleaned coin and it's usually done by a non-collector who thinks polishing a coin will somehow make it better and more valuable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, but way beyond just "whizzing".
    It has been heavily wire-brushed using a power tool and relatively stiff bristles.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has been harshly whizzed/brushed/scraped/whatever..... by an amateur. Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally, whizzing used to be accomplished with a small hand-held drill with a small wire brush attachment. The tiny brush would be carefully used to create artificial luster in the fields by working the brush within and next to the letters, numbers, portrait, etc. This style of alteration fell out of favor once it became well publicized in the numismatic press.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

It definitely has had some work done on it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• manlye1manlye1 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Cast copy IMO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody did not like toning.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Somebody did not like toning.
    Jim

That would be @ricko

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone take @ricko 's tools.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking wire wheel .

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2022 1:10PM

I’ve got some coins that were whizzed and they’re not nearly as messed up as your example.
    I’m in the wire wheelhouse camp on this one.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks wire wheeled as others stated.

• 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Definitely not die polish marks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file