Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1882 Proof Set in Capital Plastics Holder

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love seeing proof sets in old capital plastics holders. The current owner purchased about 40 years ago, before PCGS.

We're going to create an archive on our website when items like this pass through our hands.

• Ian

Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow way cool!!

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's something special. You don't get to see that every day. Fantastic!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool indeed!

But I have to wonder….how many of those Capitol plastic holders did they produce? I’ve never seen one older than 1950.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Trade dollar cameo? Nice st.

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Very cool indeed!

But I have to wonder….how many of those Capitol plastic holders did they produce? I’ve never seen one older than 1950.

One could order a custom made holder which this is obviously one..

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

The archive is great before they hit slab land.

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would open it and rotate the coins and then snap a good pic with the best lighting I could manage. (high overhead to get some color).

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very thoughtful to share the opportunity to enjoy this set as is. It's a first for me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I would hate to break up that set.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. Great idea, as you should have quite a file very shortly. Hope you allow us to view it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Very cool indeed!

It was probably made to order. Capital Plastics would do custom made holders. I ordered some custom made proof set holders from them for my coin club back in 1991.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking set. When is this giveaway LOL. Somebody should swap those yellow plastic screws for some new ones they detract from the appearance.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, amazing set

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Very very nice.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice but how long until they get cracked, dipped, and resubmitted for a higher grade?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullHorn said:
    I would open it and rotate the coins and then snap a good pic with the best lighting I could manage. (high overhead to get some color).

Any time I've gotten material like this, I've done composite shots. Each coin shot individually, then cropped, rescaled, and put into original box.

Here's a British proof set I did late last year for somebody, for example. This is how I'd tackle these US proofs, but with a different style as you mentioned, to get more color.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful set....and a great way to display it. The Trade Dollar appears to have a splotchy reverse, probably contamination during transfer to the holder. Still an amazing set of coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Nice but how long until they get cracked, dipped, and resubmitted for a higher grade?

Hopefully never. Or at least not dipped. But who knows, in the wrong hands a tragedy could happen like with the PCGS 67 1893-S Morgan Dollar "conserved" by NGC.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

You could still buy these original sets intact pretty often at Major Auctions (as well as gem singles) throught the 1980's.
    Eventually, these sets were broken up and slabbed as grading became more important to maximize value.

Walkerguy, they did not produce any Capital Plastic holders for any particular coins. You could contact Capital Plastics and
    order virtually anything and they would custom make it for you.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Very cool indeed!

You can (could?) anything you wanted custom made. I did it a number of times in the late 1970s and early '80s. I had one made for my Libertas Americana medal. It fits perfectly.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original proof sets....yummy. No many to be had these days.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@FullHorn said:

Any time I've gotten material like this, I've done composite shots. Each coin shot individually, then cropped, rescaled, and put into original box.

Here's a British proof set I did late last year for somebody, for example. This is how I'd tackle these US proofs, but with a different style as you mentioned, to get more color.

I love that shilling. B)

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

A knockout!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have that 1902 British set in Matte Proof also.

The British issued these sets in 1937. These coins are still raw.

And the gold set. These coins are graded and I "created" this look in a box of issue.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

This goes along the same lines as the coins that showed up a my local B&M. Great raw coins are still out there!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    This goes along the same lines as the coins that showed up a my local B&M. Great raw coins are still out there!

You bet, every once in a while I time my visit right and get lucky. My local dealer will offer up some awesome raw item that came in... My eclectic "collecting" style means he knows I'll gobble up anything that rarely comes in.

I especially love buying the raw stuff!

Mark

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful looking set. Maybe one of these days (probably not)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file