Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your “Details” holder coin

VetterVetter Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the “ Most expensive coin in a “Details” holder?” thread got me wondering. Do you have a coin in a details holder? Key date, rare variety? I have a favorite in my collection. Let’s see your scratched, environmental damaged, corroded, holed, bent…etc coins in a holder.

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I just submitted a set of coins I’m excited about so for sure in that situation one or more of those will come back unexpectedly “details cleaned” so I should have a few to share here in a few months...!

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have any (in slabs), but I remember the first coin show my uncle took me to when I was walking around thinking “details” and “whizzed” were positive things. Kind of like a + grade that didn’t exist back then.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

The only holdered details coin I have:

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got rid of mine. Seems a good idea at first. Then eventually the coin disappears. Then the label, gone, except for that glaring word DETAIL

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 2:56PM

Cool thread!
    Here is my "No FG" Variety

1972d

Found while CoinRollHunting. Still Awesome!

1887p Indian Cent

Purposely, bought this cleaned in the PCGS holder. An awesome coin in the IHC series!

$20

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2022 12:30PM

I think I’ve cracked them and put them back into the Dansco.
    What to do with them now? They’re ok from a distance, but they bug me!
    I ‘could’ photograph them seductively and sell them raw on the Bay, but NO! I still have a shred of honesty.
    In fact, I have one raw coin up there now- listed as Unc details, with an old cleaning. Hopefully my honesty will reap some rewards…. Wait, it already has!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:

I submitted 8 details coins for a collector club submission one year (it was a slow year). This was one of them.

I suspect you knew what you were getting in that case Luke. ;-)
    Those “UNC details” are a stretch! Unless of course, they’re referring to Uncle H.W. Thebo ;-)

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1116185/1916-D-Mercury-Dime-PCGS-Genuine-XF-Details
    Great Collections has a Mercury Dime for sale that is details and has 45 bids.

Ken
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

1794 - Tooled.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

😯

Ken
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing special, but it is a rather low mintage coin.

It's whizzed.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    Here's the only impaired coin in my US type set:

(thanks to Heritage for the image)

Can you show the reverse? Thanks.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have any 'details' coins in slabs.... but I do have several that would certainly merit the comment. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently, no "Details" coins in the holder either.... but I did crack this one for my Type Set...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative asked: Can you show the reverse? Thanks.

Sure!

(as before, photo thanks to Heritage)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2022 10:37AM

I don't have any coins in "details" although I do have a couple of political tokens.

This scarce Jackson piece is scratched.

This Grant piece is not listed in DeWitt / Sullivan. I bought it in a Heritage Auction and got hit with the minimum buyers' fee because the winning bid was so low. I have never seen another one. The dies were crude, and there could not have been very many struck. Someone tried to hole it for suspension, probably with a hammer and a nail.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama > @Higashiyama said:

@HoledandCreative asked: Can you show the reverse? Thanks.

Sure!

Thanks for posting the pictures. Heritage no longer has them.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple details coins that are not in slabs but I really like them :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

""Your “Details” holder coin""

Never had one, guess I prefer genuine and un-altered. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 9:30AM

Here's one coin that I really thought it would straight grade and it didn't!
    Very upset when it occurred.
    From a possible $1000 coin to a Detailed $50 coin.
    Well, I did end up trading it with my buddy for two decent NGC slabbed coins.
    Here's the trouble maker. Lol

1920s Mercury Dime w/details

Also, has FB

Although, I shouldn't of gotten so upset. I cherry picked it from my LCS in its silver junk tray. It only cost me $5
    :D
    Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one:

But now it's here:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 details. The first is real details I mean the coin is a counterfeit.

The 2nd was Anacs was having a special and on the last day I was short a coin and decided to slab a flying eagle that I was going to give away, but I like Flying Eagle coins.. so I still have it.

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few of mine. Right click on image to see bigger image.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread @Vetter! The easiest one for me to participate in. 😂 🤣 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

I'll grade this one myself. Damaged/Details! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 3:42PM

Pretty darn strong for VF detail; just sayin.

12 star variety?

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't remember where I got this or how much I paid, definitely a details coin 1873 Close 3 DDO FS-102 S-2 (009.1) XF Details

• Options

• Options

AU Details - Cleaned 1936-D

• Options

• Options

1872 AU Details

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well at least it is UNC. Not sure about cleaning. I don't see it.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

These came back “damaged - mount removed.” I handled both raw and maybe on the Teutonic knight coin could I see a rim Knick.

So, now I look at “details” coins.

My current "Box of 20"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file