Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My certified 1723 Rosa Americana Penny- 1st of this type for my collection.

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2022 9:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just received this one today and it is a looker!

Past auction description:

Some mint red/ fading to orange adds to the appearance! In researching these I note some statements regarding being struck in "bath metal" and am looking to understand the term and how it applies to these.

Also interested in the odd "blobs" of metal in the dentils, as I do not know how these were coined.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice newp.

haven't seen something like that posted in a while. :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking piece ... collecting patterns can be fun ... are you are trying to assemble a type set ?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Rosa. I need one of those for my collection, tough to find nice (and affordable!).

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, it's been a while since seeing one

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... We do not see these often.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@lcutler said:
    William Wood's patent for the coins called for them to be made of Bath metal, copper, zinc and a small amount of silver. Metalurgical tests of the coins however show no presence of the silver, Wood must have been trying to save some money! They have a very high zinc percentage, over 40% in most cases. The planchets were heated before striking, this as well as the high zinc percentage accounts for the poor surface quality of many of the pieces. Bubbles, rough surfaces and voids are common.

Thank you; I was concerned about the "blobs" on mine, as I have reviewed many images without seeing another example with the same features.

The only one with similar details is this one, but it is a copper plated cast lead counterfeit.

• Options

I found a pair of copper plated lead uniface casts that seem to match these for dentilation and lettering features; all 3 have a feature I nicknamed the "broken ER" but all of the lettering appears to not have been properly filled out.

"ER" compared to a known example of the variety on the right.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure why but I've always liked them.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

Well, I had it scanned at my favorite coin shop and these are the results:

Note: Sb- antimony, used to increase the hardness of alloys, with lead alloys for batteries, with lead/copper/tin alloys for machine bearings.

From the net what they were made of:

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.

• Options

@burfle23

i looked back through the thread and unless i missed something, i'm not entirely certain which coin was scanned. i've seen coins scanned through holders.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @burfle23

i looked back through the thread and unless i missed something, i'm not entirely certain which coin was scanned. i've seen coins scanned through holders.

The 1st posted one...

• Options
    edited March 17, 2022 3:01PM

Scan

Pb 36% - Lead
    Sb 24% - Antimony
    Cu 21% - Copper
    Sn 7% - Tin
    Ru 5% - Ruthenium
    Rh 2.5% - Rhodium
    Pd 2% - Palladium
    Fe 1.5% - Iron
    X 1%
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Article

Alloy = Bath Metal

75% Brass
    20% Zinc + (tin bismuth)
    5% Silver

weight = half the weight of english coins (huh?)

Brass is alloy of copper & zinc
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SOOOOOO, the conclusion i draw from this (provided i'm understanding it correctly) is the coin that was scanned does NOT match up to the reported composition? i think i'm dense on what is going on with this thread but based on whom the OP is, i presumed some shenanigans with the coin(s) but the context (as i understand it) is that the OP coin is authentic?

i have NO idea why some text is larger. i thought i figured out how to stop this, apparently i am mistaken. UPDATE - using dash affects text above it.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 2:21PM

I am a bit confused as well. If that scan is correct it appears we are looking at a counterfeit coin that has been slabbed as genuine. Especially with the matching broken ER.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2022 2:43PM

OK, I am a bit slow at connecting the dots, but, Peter Rosa copy, but slabbed as genuine?

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also confused here.
    Is the OP coin counterfeit or not.
    If so, is the TV saying that this one got by PCCGS?
    Thanks in advance.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited March 17, 2022 10:33PM

It took some time for me to connect all the dots, but my "authenticated" example is "die" linked to the Peter Rosa examples and definitely based on that and the scan NOT authentic.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2022 6:06AM

Charles dug out one of the original struck lead models for these:

He also found one of the original Rosa examples in the original envelops and I added it to my group; same broken ER as the others.

Pretty much closes the loop on this one!

• Options

@burfle23 said:
    Pretty much closes the loop on this one!

the loop that is closed is:

a. the op coin is counterfeit, proven by major diagnostics shared by other known counterfeits.
    b. that many of the roseannes are counterfeit in and out of tpg holders.
    c. a & b
    d. neither a & b
    e. i question my credentials as a numismatist for NOT being able to get their on my own.

• Options

My example is a counterfeit in a TPG holder as genuine; the "loop" included finding old and new counterfeits from the team of "replica makers" including one of the actual lead models used for making these...

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2022 4:44PM

@burfle23 said:
    My example is a counterfeit in a TPG holder as genuine; the "loop" included finding old and new counterfeits from the team of "replica makers" including one of the actual lead models used for making these...

Way out of my depth here but I have a question...
    Could the Your coin be genuine and that particular die variety be the original coin copied for counterfeits?
    If that is not clear, let’s call OPs coin Die pair 1, could a die pair 1 coin have been used as the model for subsequent counterfeits?
    Or are there no known genuine examples with the broken ER characteristics?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool research and wow, now I have to go find mine and check.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

see the XRF scan above and my subsequent post.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2022 5:08PM

I saw that and it sparked questions of: Have known genuine examples scanned differently?
    How reliable are is reported composition?
    Were there composite anomalies in the original planchets?
    I know very little about this coin series and the curiosity is getting to me lol!

More questions...
    do counterfeiters intentionally make “mistakes” like the broken ER, or is that an oversight?
    Could a legit coin be copied then later called fake based on diagnostics associated with faked examples? (Or how likely is that scenario, since it is possible in some way)

I make no argument on the validity of the coin in question, I just am curious.

• Options

I believe the "broken ER" is a strike anomaly (strike bifurcation) causing the die to not fill out the letters completely similar to my 1794 S-28:

The host coin for the "replicas" had this strike; not really a mistake or a die state. I have seen another one with a similar strike but not identical to these.

Peter Rosa's "replicas" were made of copper plated lead and antimony, not anywhere close to what genuine Rosa Americanas were made of...

• Options

@burfle23 said:
    I believe the "broken ER" is a strike anomaly (strike bifurcation) causing the die to not fill out the letters completely similar to my 1794 S-28:

so there is an authentic one(s) out there with the die anomalies (probably) and those detail(s) were simply on the counterfeits because of transfer dies, which is what almost all of your posted countefeits have been produced from and are why they are able to be connected.

or do you believe the anomalies to just be from the counterfeit family?

• Options

I believe there is a genuine one with the strike as seen on the counterfeits/ replicas. Rosa was known to use examples from the British Museum to strike his models for his process but I couldn't find a matching example there.

• Options
    SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Awesome job & thread,,,I think you pretty much answered what I was gonna ask, I mean from your coin week article.
    This is what I seen :)
    You da man!
    Thanks all

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file