Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How can you tell when/if you have too many coins?

My wife told me I had too many coins and I need to get rid of them/some. How can you tell when/if you have too many? In this “ accumulation/hoard “ of coins I have at least 3 sets of Kennedy’s, 2 sets of Frankie’s, proof and mint type sets, yearly proof sets from 1970-2000, Lincoln’s, Ike’s, Morgan’s, Peace, self-made toned coins NOT MADE!!!, but removed from albums where the coins resided for decades or Binion dollars, and too many that I don’t even know what I have. I probably have another dozen or so filled boxes as well.

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Comments

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have too many coins when you and everyone else you know is overwhelmed at the thought of having to deal with them.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you still waiting on your gold box submission :o

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably too many when you don't know what you have. At some point it becomes an accumulation rather than a collection.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well money, gold, silver, palladium and platinum has never been a bad thing to hoard then anything else. But I’m the wrong guy to be asking.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have to hire a maid to dust them.
    What ?

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

When you have coins that are not real keeper’s but just coins you compromised on.

• Options
    QE GuyQE Guy Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you post on PCGS collectors universe “Do I have too many coins?” :)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can you tell when/if you have too many coins?

never happen

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you run out of room to store more.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you go looking for a specific coin, and you keep being surprised with coins you did not even remember that you had. Yeah... I have way too many.... and likely will keep them. Or, maybe not.... :D Yeah, I will... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never have to many.
    Since 99% of my coins are PCGS slabs, when seeking a new coin, I just review my inventory listing to see if I have that particular coin in residence already. If not, let the buying begin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it ceases to be a coherent collection.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 12:04PM

I sold everything not related to my core inventory a few years ago and put the money into the core inventory, I'm so glad I did.

It took years and a tremendous amount of effort to sell that non core stuff off and I vowed never to let that "stuff" accumulated again.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

...when you start second guessing that you have too many coins. I don't currently have this problem, so you can simply send them to me... ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

When your avatar shows three coins instead of a closeup of one? ;)

• Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

When you post a picture of stacks upon stacks of PCGS boxes filled with coins.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't help you with your question, to busy looking for more storage space for my own " collection " My safe is full.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

When they won’t all fit in your bank box.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me the answer is simple: When I start thinking too much about how many I have, how to store them, etc. I have a fairly low threshold in terms of quantity and value. In fact over the last 18 months I've reduced my coin quantity by about 80-90%. Value-wise, though, probably only by 10-15%.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is crazy! You don't have too many coins.....you have too many coin boxes. There is a simple fix to this as PCGS coin boxes typically only hold 20 coins, but larger boxes without dividers hold at least 50 slabs. I did this a while ago and "Presto, problem solved." If you don't like that, just get another safe.

Tom

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you can pretty safely get rid of those modern mint and proof sets and call it "progress" ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretend you just got an evacuation order due to a fire and you have half an hour to grab everything… I had to experience that a couple of years ago! Made me really regret collecting Kennedy half dollars in capital plastics instead of a single BU $10 Indian

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't.

There is no such thing.

:)

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the face value of my collection exceeds the balance in my checking account.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    When the face value of my collection exceeds the balance in my checking account.

Might just take a few rolls of peace dollars to accomplish that... I'm pretty much there all the time. :)

How about when the value of my collection is more than half my total net worth...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    When you have trouble parking in your garage :)

And we have a winner!
    Enough copper there to make at least one electric F150

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    When you have trouble parking in your garage :)

Now take em to a coin star.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file