Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not a big copper guy, but nonetheless, I never thought I'd snag one of these...

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at least not in a rattler. Pleased as pie, I am.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Nice, congrats!

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks very nice for a 55

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's better than the one I have, which is now in an NGC AU-58 holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

A double 55 in a 55 holder. That's a lot of 55's!

• Options

I'm obviously hoping it lands a gold bean but trying to keep my expectations in check. It's not going well.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 1:42PM

Outstanding piece! Sure looks 58

Tom

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicest AU I've ever seen.

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congrats.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with not being a copper guy - Oh wait - you can claim that anymore!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking example! This is a coin I've long wanted, and one thing I've learned as I look more carefully for the right one is that a lot aren't all that nice until you get into the mid-UNC level. Yours is a wonderful coin in general, and all the more so for the grade!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

You made my day, love that full motion video. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Always had a sweet spot for them 55 DDO's......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup. Congrats. I've never had one and always wished to get one.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Fantastic! Congratulations to you. Any 55/55 is beautiful to me and worth cherishing for a long time!

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. It is still on my bucket list to own one.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go so far as to admit I'd rather have the above AU55 than a three times the price choice UNC.

peacockcoins

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!
    Beautiful example.
    Congratulations!!!👍👍👍

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it. I had a 62BN for years. Such a special coin.

You can straighten the coin in its holder with a sonic toothbrush.
    Lance.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

I just rattle it on its side, shaking it till it straightens out

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I'd go so far as to admit I'd rather have the above AU55 than a three times the price choice UNC.

I would be very surprised if this coin traded for AU55 money today, and perhaps ever.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

We got a winner, congrats

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice '55 DDO.... As I have often said on this forum, I had two or three when I was a kid....They disappeared when I joined the Navy.... Either Mom cleaned them out or kid brother acquired them for candy..... Have not acquired any since then, not sure I will.... Unless I get one in change.... :D Well, it could happen.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@braddick said:

Of what I've seen, which admittedly isn't a lot, I have to agree. These don't come nice, especially not in mid-AU. Thanks, cigarette packs.

@rays said:

@braddick said:

I would be very surprised if this coin traded for AU55 money today, and perhaps ever.

It's been in hiding for 25+ years apparently, until I bought it. I paid $1,900 which puts it right around AU55 money based on recent results, granted a premium for a non-CAC coin, but I'm pretty dang sure it CACs. It's a rare day when I pay a premium for something, the strongest part of my skill set as a buyer is finding PQ coins for non-PQ money. That skill is the origin of most of the "equity" I have in my collection.

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

Yeah I'll straighten it after I get it back from CAC. No point in the interim since it'll just end up out of alignment again. :)

• Options

Lemme get my glasses.
    Nice, nice coin.

Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice 55/55 in a 55 rattler!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2022 9:50AM

Great looking coin! Congrats on the newp.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2022 1:11PM

Rather than submit to CAC (highly likely to be "approved") why not send back to PCGS for reconsideration service? If they don't grade it higher than AU55 you get the coin back in the rattler holder. There is sometimes a very fine line between grades of AU58 and MS63.

Over the last 20 years I have seen a number of 1955 Doubled Die Lincolns in PCGS and NGC holders. None have ever looked like yours in AU55. In that grade, most have noticeable wear/rub on the devices and if there is any luster left it is subdued.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@braddick said:

Of what I've seen, which admittedly isn't a lot, I have to agree. These don't come nice, especially not in mid-AU. Thanks, cigarette packs.

@rays said:

@braddick said:

It's been in hiding for 25+ years apparently, until I bought it. I paid $1,900 which puts it right around AU55 money based on recent results, granted a premium for a non-CAC coin, but I'm pretty dang sure it CACs. It's a rare day when I pay a premium for something, the strongest part of my skill set as a buyer is finding PQ coins for non-PQ money. That skill is the origin of most of the "equity" I have in my collection.

Want to make a profit? I'll even save you the eBay fees!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2022 1:29PM

According to PCGS Coinfacts, this is the most recent public sale of an AU55 PCGS 1955 Doubled Die. This example appears typical of the grade to me, and sold for $1980 at Heritage last September. Also note the details of Lincoln's beard and suit are somewhat blurry even on the highest grade mint-state examples because of the doubled die:

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example and for the grade!

• Options

@rays said:
    Rather than submit to CAC (highly likely to be "approved") why not send back to PCGS for reconsideration service? If they don't grade it higher than AU55 you get the coin back in the rattler holder. There is sometimes a very fine line between grades of AU58 and MS63.

Over the last 20 years I have seen a number of 1955 Doubled Die Lincolns in PCGS and NGC holders. None have ever looked like yours in AU55. In that grade, most have noticeable wear/rub on the devices and if there is any luster left it is subdued.

I'd rather have gold CAC #7 for the date than anything else. I collect at the junction between great coins and great plastic with CAC approval. I wouldn't give two craps about this coin outside of the rattler or a fatty/ogh, as far as my personal collection goes. I'd still buy it, regrade it, and resell it, but I bought this one half because of the plastic, and I'll keep it almost entirely because of the plastic.

At the end of the day, anybody with a fat wallet can hunt down great coins at any big show, as long as they have enough $. Now find great coins in great, old plastic... You'll find it much, much tougher. Operating on limited means with a tight budget and focusing on the rarity of the aforementioned junction helps keep my purchases within control, and I steadily add at most, a half dozen GREAT pieces a year to my collection.

Someday, when I'm ready to start parting with these, maybe in 20 years, I'll get a table at a major show, and stick 'em all in there, and just meet some of the folks that appreciate stuff like this. 25 years of aggressively going after coins like this in old holders should give me a pretty nice spread of awesome type stuff.

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful 1955 DDO! I predict nice success with CAC. Congratulations and I am jealous! :)

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@rays said:

I'd rather have gold CAC #7 for the date than anything else. I collect at the junction between great coins and great plastic with CAC approval. I wouldn't give two craps about this coin outside of the rattler or a fatty/ogh, as far as my personal collection goes. I'd still buy it, regrade it, and resell it, but I bought this one half because of the plastic, and I'll keep it almost entirely because of the plastic.

At the end of the day, anybody with a fat wallet can hunt down great coins at any big show, as long as they have enough $. Now find great coins in great, old plastic... You'll find it much, much tougher. Operating on limited means with a tight budget and focusing on the rarity of the aforementioned junction helps keep my purchases within control, and I steadily add at most, a half dozen GREAT pieces a year to my collection.

Someday, when I'm ready to start parting with these, maybe in 20 years, I'll get a table at a major show, and stick 'em all in there, and just meet some of the folks that appreciate stuff like this. 25 years of aggressively going after coins like this in old holders should give me a pretty nice spread of awesome type stuff.

So it seems that what you like most about this coin is that it is clearly under graded in its current holder. I guess that could form the basis of a collection like any other consideration. In any case it is a beautiful example and many would aspire to own one as nice.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice. Even has some luster!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

Simply Amazing!

Congrats on the gold CAC!

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2022 10:53AM

Congrats
    That there coin, has everything going for you.
    The Classic variety
    The Classic holder
    The Classic Gold Bean
    The Classic envy from every collector.
    Every coin collector SHOULD have one in their collection.
    Including myself!
    One day
    :)
    B)
    <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file