Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 gorgeous trade dollar proofs

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous is an appropriate term! I assume they are the same provenance, given the similar toning?

Higashiyama
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Absolutely beautiful.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelieveably gorgeous. No more beautiful coin, maybe some as beautiful, but none better. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

If you watch coins on Ebay, you can find Kennedy halves, and probably others with toning JUST like that! One of the sellers is Chromatic coins amongst others and to boot, they have been slabbed by our host PCGS! They are asking $150 or more for a coin that lists for about $10. SO, if you want, I'll give you MUCH MORE than the $150. How about 10 times that? Just Kidding. I LOVE these old tarnished/crusty coins. My Dad always said he liked bright white coins and so do others, so he used to clean them lightly, not harshly. BUT my Dad had a complete bust half set and never attempted to "clean/rescue a single half dollar. I have ALWAYS been a fan of toned coins, especially after 55 years ago when I was told not to get "dirty" coins. But what do Dads know? I LOVE those coins and the others you've shown over the years. Are these in your collection? Thanks for sharing. Ray

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice trio.

if those don't get one's motor running, pretty much nothing will !

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely gorgeous! So VERY special!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 World Class Trade Dollars

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely beautiful. That toning never gets old.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 1876

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

spectacular !!!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing condition for coins almost 150 years old. Real treasures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that cool steely blue on that 76. Beautiful coin!

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need for my cup of espresso this morning.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnificent! Thanks for posting those.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at those is a great way to start the day, thanks for posting.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap!

• Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭

You never disappoint on displaying rare beautiful coins!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the "sun" is rising on the obverses and setting on the reverses.
    Spectacular coins.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been a unique storage situation ........

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely AT..................

'Absolutely Top-Notch"

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for entering me in your exciting giveaway!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!!
    My jaw is in my lap.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2022 12:55PM

Awesome coins and great to see you back Bruce.

@CaptHenway said:
    Thank you for entering me in your exciting giveaway!

Even if I got it free, would be scared to handle them at 45K a pop because I don't have a history of showering the slabs with TLC. o:)

Edited to add quote

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

When I stated "crusty" I meant that they developed over the decades. that it has character, like that of an elderly person. Some people would call them crusty a crusty old man/woman. You wouldn't call a young person crusty because they are new to life. But on the other hand, an old man would be crusty pointing that they have character that has developed over the decades. I have some coins that when looked straight on look like they have a "film" on them, but when you tilt them sometimes, they have not only toning, but even rainbow toning. I bought a Kennedy album from a dealer that was housed in an old Whitman folder holding coins going from 1964 to 1989 I believe. The 1972 Kennedy is shown straight on on obv and rev. Then the next photo is from PCGS of the same coin with True View. How can you get that proper coloring with no glare? Some might say crusty, some might just say with original skin, this skin is only 50 years old. Just my fifty cents. Ray

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2022 9:04AM

Pretty stuff.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oomph. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the top, TDN!

Not sure why others are posting coins to your thread. Not familiar with forum etiquette I will assume.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow -

Jim

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to know more about the provenance, if available.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing these.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it was tough, you probably couldn't decide between the three, so you just got 'em all! Superb!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 9:23PM

Eh, they’re alright. ;)

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

That trio is beyond description!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these recent purchases or recent re-gradings?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos to WinLoseWin

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2022 9:21PM
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's amazing these beautiful trade dollars have been so carefully preserved for over a century.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now graded Pcgs 69Cam

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never realized PCGS had graded any Trade Dollar as Proof-69 until seeing your link to that Simpson album.

Surprised to see there are only 5 of the Trade type in any kind of PCGS Proof-68. Thought there would be more.

As you found, the now Proof-69 Cameo 1878 is from the same August 1992 auction posted above which also had the 1874 and 1876 from the first post. It can also be seen as lot 411 in "Color Plate 3" in the 1992 auction post. It brought a strong $37,400 as NGC Proof-68 in that weak market which was about 2 and one half times what the NGC Proof-67 Trade Dollars brought in the same sale.

The only other coin in that Simpson album link, the 1883, doesn't seem to be from that auction nor Superiors February 1992 Century Collection sale which also had an extensive run of original proof sets from 1880 to 1914.

Also looks like the intro to the Registry set for the full run of Proof Trade $'s through 1885 could use an update. It still says "...There are only five 1885 proofs, with the most recent sale being the Eliasberg specimen which realized nearly $1 million when auctioned by Bowers and Merena." A few things have happened since then.

TrueView for the Proof-69 Cameo 1878 in the Simpson album linked to by tradedollarnut:

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2022 4:06AM

Amazing! Here's the cert link for the PCGS PR69CAM.

Is nay provenance known for this coin beyond Simpson?

I found this other PF68 which indicates there's a PF69* CAM out there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file