Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quiz-What Coin is This?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT, Yes that is the main problem, good thing they give links to the more valuable varieties, I think they may just not have the people or time to provide descriptions for all of the varieties, especially those that don't necessarily warrant time to distinguish from normal coins. I do not believe that the coin I originally posted is RDV-008, it seems that what I thought was re-engraving was actually just the normal design. It think that the lower portion to the right that is offset in the last coin I posted is correct, it seems to be missing from all 1972S coins, especially those that do not have the clear straight steps.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Let’s do a back to basics with this one:

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

1859 IHC

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@IkesT I have looked up every dang long nock Morgan dollar I can find and I cant seem to match your photo to any of them.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 I just gave up on Morgans a long time ago. Too many VAMs!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @gumby1234 I just gave up on Morgans a long time ago. Too many VAMs!

Some are really valuable. Like an 1878 Vam 9.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @IkesT I have looked up every dang long nock Morgan dollar I can find and I cant seem to match your photo to any of them.

I'll give you a couple of hints - it's not an 1878 long nock variety. It's also not intended for you to find the specific VAM on this one - just the date. ;)

• Options

That doesn't help @IkesT because all the long nock varieties were in 1878.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    That doesn't help @IkesT because all the long nock varieties were in 1878.

That is part of your hint - the coin is not dated 1878.

I said that it was "a good one to know" because it is a common coin that you are likely to encounter. ;)

• Options

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

That is correct. In 1921, the mint no longer had any of the original obverse or reverse design hubs for the Morgan Dollar, so they had to remake them. As a result, the design details of the 1921 Morgan dollar are different from any other date.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Coinscratch 2009 P DDR FS-805 1c Formative Years

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @Coinscratch 2009 P DDR FS-805 1c Formative Years

Correct.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not mine, as I don't have this DM yet, but the Bust guys should know it quickly

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

1832 Overton 101a Large Letters

• Options

I’m out of unique reverses, so I’m going to throw this variety into the mix. Good luck!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

1961 DDR FS-801

• Options

Yep, I thought you guys would get it fast. This one is a little harder, I think I included enough to make it doable.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

1935 S DDR FS-801 I'm thinking "No Cigar" on this one.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

Nope. This one I couldn’t put much more of the coin in or it would be too easy. That will be your first hint :wink:

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@Coinscratch said:

Nope. This one I couldn’t put much more of the coin in or it would be too easy. That will be your first hint :wink:

Yeah I picked up on that from your first post but this is definitely not my series and I am about to be grilling steaks and smoking salmon for the next two hours :)

• Options

1913 type 1 DDR. I haven't looked up the variety for the number.

• Options

@gumby1234 Yes it is the 1913 T1 DDR FS-1802. I had cherrypicked one of these a few months ago and one was also cherrypicked on the forums here about a month ago. It’s a fairly uncommon variety, I think there’s less than 15 known.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl Yes thats the number. I couldn't think of it off the top of my head, and too tired today to look it up.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt this one will be very difficult.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2022 1:47PM

@Omegaraptor 1824, Flat Top 1 OR 1827 Flat Top 1 ???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file