Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quiz-What Coin is This?

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Ah that would be an L not an I. It’s just the font that makes it hard to see. Although USAF does have some pretty cool artificial intelligence in their jets nowadays. @grumby1234 I have no idea which date that is, I can’t find a design variety or mint mark style that narrows it down to one year. Does it happen to be a DDR or something I’m missing?

Its a 50 S if that helps

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2022 11:50PM

@gumby1234 said:

@FlyingAl said:
    Ah that would be an L not an I. It’s just the font that makes it hard to see. Although USAF does have some pretty cool artificial intelligence in their jets nowadays. @grumby1234 I have no idea which date that is, I can’t find a design variety or mint mark style that narrows it down to one year. Does it happen to be a DDR or something I’m missing?

Its a 50 S if that helps

I also had trouble, even with the 1950-S hint.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2022 11:53PM

@IkesT Dang it, so it isn't just me. Ive been trying to figure this one out but couldn't find a match either. I was hoping you guys could. I was thinking the S over D that has been changed to an S over inverted S, but doesn't seem to match either.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited February 9, 2022 12:43AM

@gumby1234 said:
    @IkesT Dang it, so it isn't just me. Ive been trying to figure this one out but couldn't find a match either. I was hoping you guys could. I was thinking the S over D that has been changed to an S over inverted S, but doesn't seem to match either.

Looking at other 1950-S images from CoinFacts, I see several other mint marks that look very similar to yours, but in different positions. This leads me to believe they were using a defective punch (in other words, the shapes we're seeing underneath the "S" are actually due to aberrations in the punch, itself, rather than an RPM or OMM).

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Looks like fun ... here's one

1807 50C Bearded Goddess

Nice coin! :)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another not in the Red Book.

• Options

@yosclimber Beautiful variety! I'll give others a chance to chime in. :)

The right search term goes a long way with this one. ;)

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber I’ve got it as well. I managed to stumble across your attribution guide and it was extremely useful because I haven’t studied this series as much. Very interesting!

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Looks like fun ... here's one

1807 50C Bearded Goddess

Nice coin! :)

Interesting take! And oh, I wish!! :D

It is an 1807 though, and that's where we were going. Both the Bearded Goddess and the 50 over 20 varieties share the same reverse.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very fun guys. Many of my threads fail to get comments, but this one took off! Please continue, as I am getting schooled!

• Options

Heres another I cant identify, maybe all you coin wizards can figure it out. It is a 52 S

• Options

@yosclimber said:

Another not in the Red Book.

No one seems to have answered this so 1839-O V2B.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@gumby1234 It looks like the 1952-S is not an RPM, either.

• Options

@IkesT said:
    @gumby1234 It looks like the 1952-S is not an RPM, either.

I agree, it almost looks like the mint mark took a hit or has some MD. It would be wider if it was an RPM imo. @Eldorado9 perhaps we should expand the thread to identify the variety, I think we may run out of reverses that are one year only here soon. We can start with well know varieties and work our way up.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

It may just be me but I get a feeling that the coin is counterfeit. The mint mark just seems wrong compared to the other ones on CoinFacts and I am always suspicious of a coin with that many die cracks and a flat look to them. Also I tend to be overly cautious with coins I don’t specialize in. I very well could be wrong, but I just don’t like the look of the coin.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2022 3:33PM

@FlyingAl Good observations! I believe you're right. The denticles look suspiciously mushy, overall, and there are several areas of mushiness that are particularly sketchy-looking:

• Options

@IkesT said:
    @FlyingAl Good observations! I believe you're right. Also, there are several areas of mushiness that look pretty sketchy:

Yes! It almost matched the cracks on a 1847-O on CoinFacts but not exactly, and the bumpy lettering threw me over the edge per say.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Well its an 1841 O. No idea if counterfeit, but it could be. I just figured with those die cracks that you guys could nail it.

• Options

Here is my 1953 s/s RPM in MS-66. Hard to see the mm unfortunately. Maybe someone here can magnify it and repost the photo.....?

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Well its an 1841 O. No idea if counterfeit, but it could be. I just figured with those die cracks that you guys could nail it.

What does the obverse look like?

• Options
    edited February 9, 2022 3:51PM

@IkesT no idea, I found this one online. The dimes however are mine.

• Options

I got my 2006 San Fran Dollar today. What a cool coin! Here's the reverse!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Here is my 1953 s/s RPM in MS-66. Hard to see the mm unfortunately. Maybe someone here can magnify it and repost the photo.....?

Magnification didn't help, unfortunately - the resolution of the photo is a bit too low.

• Options

Many here will know this one, I believe...

• Options

Ill guess 72 Ike type 3 reverse

• Options

@IkesT 1971-D Friendly Eagle.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @IkesT 1971-D Friendly Eagle.

Correct - an unusual example of a design variety appearing only on a Denver-minted coin.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2022 11:03PM

@gumby1234 said:

original photo above

Heritage 2014-11 MS-63

This reverse is used on two different dates:
    1840-o Briggs 2-C
    1841-o Briggs 1-A
    The Briggs book is difficult to find online, and it does not have photos of most cracks, just written descriptions.
    However, he does have photos of the mint mark position, and I can see the crack in A of QUAR in his photos
    for both the above.

So this reverse is consistent with the 1841-o being genuine. It is in a late die state.
    There are hardly any photos on PCGS CoinFacts these days (usually limited to 3 per date-mm).
    I remember a few years ago when there were a lot more photos there! (I downloaded all the half dime photos at that time).
    Auction photos are better for spotting varieties due to the large quantity, but it takes time to look through them.
    Especially if you don't know which year-mm to look at.
    (I cheated and looked it up in the Briggs book under 1841-o).

Ideally, when posting to a Quiz thread, you should know the answer and in this situation (identify date from reverse) know it maps to a unique date.
    But it don't mind if people vary a bit. The main idea is to have fun.

• Options

@yosclimber Thanks for the information! Glad to learn it is genuine, that one was pretty tricky.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Let’s try this one

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

That one came out of a Cheerios box in 2000. (2000-P)

• Options

@rip_f Yep that’s it!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

A guess here….

1861 Coronet Head Gold $20 Double Eagle Paquet Reverse a type 2

THE ONLY THINGS I’M GREAT AT ARE BEING A FATHER TO MY SON CALIBER, HUNTING, AND FISHING! OTHER THAN THAT I NEED A YOUTUBE VIDEO TO TEACH ME LOL!! 🤣😂🤣😂

• Options

I didn’t see there was more pages sorry

THE ONLY THINGS I’M GREAT AT ARE BEING A FATHER TO MY SON CALIBER, HUNTING, AND FISHING! OTHER THAN THAT I NEED A YOUTUBE VIDEO TO TEACH ME LOL!! 🤣😂🤣😂

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    Let’s try this one

I remember being a teenager in my first year and only year of college, and waking up hungover as all get out and as I sat there eating cheerios directly out of the box, the only thing I thought may make me feel better, something I touched in that box was definitely not a cheerio! So as I used grilling tongs to help tear the box apart and I found and still have my very first coin I ever collected! But mine is the penny!
    Scared the heck out me lol!

• Options

Ok, how about this beauty:

• Options

@Jlynn8523 I love the story, that’s what makes coins truly come alive. It’s crazy to think that I wasn’t even alive when these coins were in Cheerios boxes lol. @Eldorado9 a beauty indeed and a variety that shows the problems the mint had in making these proofs and handling customer complaints. I’ll let someone else get this one though!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @Jlynn8523 I love the story, that’s what makes coins truly come alive. It’s crazy to think that I wasn’t even alive when these coins were in Cheerios boxes lol. @Eldorado9 a beauty indeed and a variety that shows the problems the mint had in making these proofs and handling customer complaints. I’ll let someone else get this one though!

To be fair, I'll accept a date range and description on this coin, as it could be a few dates....

• Options

@Eldorado9 That is true that the reverse is common to multiple years, but the true form of this coin’s variety can be traced to only one year. Many other years have the same problem, but not on the scale of the year that this coin is.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @Eldorado9 That is true that the reverse is common to multiple years, but the true form of this coin’s variety can be traced to only one year. Many other years have the same problem, but not on the scale of the year that this coin is.

You know your stuff @FlyingAl ! How long have you been studying US coinage?

• Options

@Eldorado9 Just under 9 years so since I was seven. Collecting has become a huge part in my life and it certainly helps in history classes at school lol. It also does help that 1936-42 proofs are my main area of collecting along with cherry-picking. Your post is the perfect blend of both, so it’s my home turf lol.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @Eldorado9 Just under 9 years so since I was seven. Collecting has become a huge part in my life and it certainly helps in history classes at school lol. It also does help that 1936-42 proofs are my main area of collecting along with cherry-picking. Your post is the perfect blend of both, so it’s my home turf lol.

Nicely done Sir. Well, you are way ahead of most in terms of knowledge, that is for sure! Walkers are one of my favorite series of all time, and proof Walkers, are right up there in terms of beauty, and they are just soooooo cool. I think I could be happy just collecting proof walkers! Check the PM I sent.

• Options

@Eldorado9 OK then you gotta send me all those nicely toned Barber Half proofs LOL

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @Eldorado9 OK then you gotta send me all those nicely toned Barber Half proofs LOL

I'm packaging them up now for you!

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@gumby1234 said:

I'm packaging them up now for you!

AWESOME :smiley:

• Options

42 DDR FS 801

• Options

@gumby1234 It's a 1941 50c proof. Once you recognize that it is a proof, the giveaway is that it was struck with an overpolished reverse die with missing designer's initials.

• Options

I'm not good at this game

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2022 7:44PM

I was mistaken about the "TWENTY D." Initial impression of piece as counterfeit was without spectacles on. :#

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file