Home Metal Detecting

How do you get started metal detecting

JWPJWP Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife bought me a metal detector years ago. I tried it but it either didn't work real great or I did not know what I was doing. I kinda think it was both and then some. Any suggestions for someone starting a ground zero. I know step 1 is to buy a detector, but what brand/model and how much should a beginner think about paying for their 1st detector? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP Kinda depends on where you live and type of geography you know you'll be searching. And other factors to consider. PM sent

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of threads here recommending different detectors for different types of terrain and searches. Suggest you read a few. Also, accessories are named that will make your searches easier and more productive. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

If you want to find out if metal detecting is for you, without spending more than necessary, buy a Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540. They will cost you $250 to $350 if you shop around and email dealers for quotes. These are the best machines in their price range and are better than many other detectors costing double or triple the price. If you decide detecting isn't for you, resell the detector for a small loss and move on with life.

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I will check it out.

• DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

I'm doing the same thing this coming spring. Just starting out. Best thing so far I've found out is about local metal detecting clubs. Seems joining a local club might lead to some great local experience and input. Try searching clubs in your area. Also clubs may have discounted pricing with affiliated metal detecting dealers.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks. jon

• DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Also, read through my thread/discussion on this forum. I asked the same style questions. Lots of helpful responses.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1071289/metal-detecting-very-cool-hobby-questions-on-getting-started#latest

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008