Home Metal Detecting

metal detecting, very cool hobby. Questions on getting started..

So as a kid I had a metal detector, just a kids detector nothing special. I had lots of fun with it but as I grew older my interests changed cars, girls parties etc.. Now that has all come to an end as well.
I'm looking into getting started on metal detecting again as a hobbyist. So I am looking for some solid advice as to how and where to start.
I will obviously need some equipment, a metal detector to start of course. Plus digging tools I suspect. I am trying to get started with a budget of say $450 to $500 bucks, would that get me some decent reliable equipment? Would I need a detector and a pinpointer for starting out, how important is the pinpointer. I'd rather not have to continually "upgrade" expensive equipment or keep adding new equipment. Some kind of basic combination package might work.
Is buying "used" equipment a decent plan or should I look for shinny new toys lol.
Any name brands to look for or stay away from?

Any other thoughts on how I should approach this new hobby would be appreciated...I'm pretty certain it's the right hobby for me so I'm not thinking its a short term hobby but more of a long term thing.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
instagram dgilbert008

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dgilbert .... Welcome aboard. Metal detecting is a great hobby. I recommend you get a good detector, a pinpointer and a digging tool - the best your finances will allow. The pinpointer will REALLY help when retrieving a target. A good digging tool will make your hunt easier. Fit the detector to the kind of searching you will do... i.e. just fields, or beaches, or water (salt or fresh).... Good luck, keep posting and asking questions as you go along. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fiskars makes the best shovel, it's called the rootbuster and comes in 2 styles. Lifetime warranty and reasonably priced. Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking at detectors now and maybe need to increase my budget as things can quickly add up. All the areas you mention fields, beaches, water...all seem very exciting to explore. I live in Toronto Ontario, Canada. It's an old city with some large old parks and beech areas on lake Ontario. I'm thinking on looking up some metal detecting clubs to maybe get info on detecting on public lands/beaches that kind of thing.

@ricko said:
    @Dgilbert .... Welcome aboard. Metal detecting is a great hobby. just fields, or beaches, or water (salt or fresh) keep posting and asking questions as you go along.

instagram dgilbert008

@Dgilbert ... If you can hook up with a club, that will help you immensely. Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

If you need a waterproof control box, buy a Minelab Equinox 600. If you don't need waterproof, buy a MInelab Vanquish 440 or 540. Just about every modern detector has a waterproof coil.

@Bayard1908 said:
    If you need a waterproof control box, buy a Minelab Equinox 600. If you don't need waterproof, buy a MInelab Vanquish 440 or 540. Just about every modern detector has a waterproof coil.

Thanks. I was actually investigating the minelab Equinox 800, however this was way over my budget. I think I'm going with the 600 though. I think the waterproof control box is a must have. I found a package that included a lot of accessories such as the minelab pro-find 35 pinpointer, seems like a good package.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/minelab-equinox-600-metal-detector-premium-bundle-with-pinpointer-shovel-and-more/

instagram dgilbert008

@Dgilbert said:
    Thanks. I was actually investigating the minelab Equinox 800, however this was way over my budget. I think I'm going with the 600 though. I think the waterproof control box is a must have. I found a package that included a lot of accessories such as the minelab pro-find 35 pinpointer, seems like a good package.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/minelab-equinox-600-metal-detector-premium-bundle-with-pinpointer-shovel-and-more/

I wouldn't buy that bundle. Minelab pinpointers have poor ergonomics. Get a Garrett pinpointer. I also wouldn't use the hand digger in that bundle if you gave it to me for free. Get a Lesche.

If you want the lowest price on a detector, don't buy from a dealer's website listing. Call or email small dealers and ask for a quote. You could easily save 10 or 15%. Alternatively, if you have served in the military, you can get a 15% discount on Minelab detectors by showing your DD-214.

@Bayard1908 said:

I wouldn't buy that bundle. Minelab pinpointers have poor ergonomics. Get a Garrett pinpointer. I also wouldn't use the hand digger in that bundle if you gave it to me for free. Get a Lesche.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out its much appreciated. I was thinking about all the accessories and what was really needed for just starting out. The hat, bags and things I don't really need and can do without. I will be needing a pinpointer and hand digger, but not to sure about the larger shovel. I've dug lots of holes for lots of different reasons in my time, is there a big difference in shovels specific for this hobby?

I will be investigating the Garrett pinpointers thank you. Also I will look for local dealers and get quotes. Its the off season right now where I'm from, Toronto, Canada. the ground will still be frozen and snow covered for awhile yet. So I have time to investigate dealers quotes. I underestimated the start up cost for this in the beginning but there is time for me to save some dollars before the spring.

Thanks again.

instagram dgilbert008

More good advice above.... Since you have time... shop around.... also check for clubs in your area, there could be discounts through club membership with local shops. There should be shops in your area, so visit them and strike up a relationship. They welcome new collectors - more business. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:

@Bayard1908 said:

So I'm almost ready to purchase the Minelab Equinox 600. I don't have many options in the way of local dealers due to where I live Toronto, Ontario Canada, metal detecting is not so popular. The best price I'm finding is $699.USD ($895.CAD). Anyone got any local dealers they might recommend for better pricing or is that a decent/typical price. I no metal detecting in the USA is a pretty big hobby so maybe the competition keeps pricing down. I'm in no hurry as spring is still yet to come.
    Thanks,

@Namvet69 said:

instagram dgilbert008