Home U.S. Coin Forum

"1917-D Rev MM" WLH form ATS

How in world did this make it into a holder ?
The skirt lines are far too strong, the overall relief much lower, the date is the wrong font and the
middle numbers are too far apart.
Thought I only saw this handiwork with 14-D cents.
Didn't make it into the first year mint set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185272653529?hash=item2b231c56d9:g:jiUAAOSwWnth8yq2&nma=true&si=ufTR%2BGiwfOjuIvXQhh8Hxn8n0%2BY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/5960455-013/40/

Steve

Comments

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

What in the heck are you talking about?

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 7:21PM

ok. i was about to write off the op as a raving lune and post a very mocking yet funny gif BUT then i did what i'm supposed to and read the post, did a bit of comp and came up with this.

i think the op nailed it!!!

edited to add. the main reason i pursued it was that mushy polishing look around the date area.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 7:25PM

I was doing some research myself.
    I think it's altered from a 37D walker.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 7:28PM

The left-facing, outstretched hand of Miss Liberty, on the obverse, looks highly suspect.

The letters in LIBERTY, HALF DOLLAR and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA don't look right, either.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm..37D or 47D as the original date? The font on the 7 is difficult to place but its tooled too... sooo... yeah...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

for the viewers wondering what is so funky about the date, take a look at this:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, NGC really missed a big one here.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint mark is too large for a 1917 as well.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it is in a counterfeit slab? I cant see a slab pic so just putting that option out there.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    The mint mark is too large for a 1917 as well.

Compare the top and bottom 7's. They're different.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

It sold

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for that. The coin presented is both obvious, once presented with the date positioning info and other info, and scary, since I would not normally question authenticity on an otherwise original looking slabbed coin. It presents a lesson to maintain vigilance.

Tom

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another fake coin that has been altered.
    Can anybody tell if the slab is real?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

It’s another genuine coin that has been altered and the holder appears to be OK.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

It’s another genuine coin that has been altered and the holder appears to be OK.

Yes Mark, GENUINE would be the correct nomenclature, as the coin is "altered" real.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's gone already

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to the OP and to Lance. I did not notice anything at first, wondered why the post.
    No question, you can make out the 4 and the 7's match moreso.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... We must be vigilant, even when buying slabs... The date on this one would have alerted me though. WLH's are a favorite of mine, so I look closely at all of them. Thanks for the alert. Cheers, RickO

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Apparently it is because if you look up the Cert. Verification is says "Contact Customer Service".

@MWallace said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Apparently it is because if you look up the Cert. Verification is says "Contact Customer Service".

In this case, the holder appears to be genuine. However, the fact that a cert number is real/has been utilized by a grading company doesn’t always mean that a given coin and/or its holder is necessarily genuine.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@MWallace said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

In this case, the holder appears to be genuine. However, the fact that a cert number is real/has been utilized by a grading company doesn’t always mean that a given coin and/or its holder is necessarily genuine.

Are you saying that NGC will post fake NGC holders under Cert. Verification with the notation "CONTACT NGC CUSTOMER SERVICE"? I'm not arguing the point, I'd really like to know.

@MWallace said:

@MFeld said:

@MWallace said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Are you saying that NGC will post fake NGC holders under Cert. Verification with the notation "CONTACT NGC CUSTOMER SERVICE"? I'm not arguing the point, I'd really like to know.

Not at all. I’m saying that sometimes counterfeiters use legit cert numbers and more than once. So there could be one coin and holder that are legit and others that have the same cert number that are bad.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@MWallace said:

@MFeld said:

@MWallace said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Not at all. I’m saying that sometimes counterfeiters use legit cert numbers and more than once. So there could be one coin and holder that are legit and others that have the same cert number that are bad.

If you look at the pic provided by NGC on the cert verification page, it appears to be the same coin. I would say that NGC made a mistake and they need to look into buying the coin back. I know that it sold on ebay, but I am sure that they can do the appropriate footwork to take the coin off the market.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

@morgandollar1878 said:

@MFeld said:

@MWallace said:

@MFeld said:

@MWallace said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

If you look at the pic provided by NGC on the cert verification page, it appears to be the same coin. I would say that NGC made a mistake and they need to look into buying the coin back. I know that it sold on ebay, but I am sure that they can do the appropriate footwork to take the coin off the market.

I agree - they can try, though they might not be able to succeed.

• Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

You can see tooling around the 1 and a faint image of the original 4.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file