Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pair of early copper newps

One key, one shiny! I picked up both of these in the last couple weeks. The 1799 fills a hole that's been there for decades at this point, and marks the completion of my and my father @WaterSport's date set of cents, with only the chain and '93 cap remaining to finish off the complete cent collection. It's got a few nicks, but I'll take some circulation marks over general scudziness any day. PCGS calls it a G-4 and CAC agreed.

The 1820 is an NGC MS-63, and nowhere near as rare, but it sure is pretty! Full cartwheel luster and no spots on a 200 year old copper is something to see. It's cool to have a Randall Hoard example as well, and the obverse die crack is pretty impressive too.

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a copper guy myself, the 1820 is nice, but I’m far more impressed with the ‘99. Well done!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gonfunko That 1799 was in my sights as well. Super nice example graded PCGS G4 with CAC, nice pickup!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are great acquisitions... but the 1799 is a real prize. Just something about the '17--' date that is magic. Cheers, RickO

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    I had this one in my collection:

Now that's a looker!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays said:
    And... one of my favorite coins of all time, the famous "Abbey Cent" (the following is from the Heritage auction catalog of Walter Husak's large cent collection sale 2/15/2008, where it sold for $161,000. I attended this sale, the most electrifying auction I have ever participated in):

where the s-79 sold to holmes for over $1mil?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins! I like the Randall Hoard piece, but as others have noted... that 1799 is quite the addition for any copper cent collector... Congrats!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • raysrays Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@rays said:
    And... one of my favorite coins of all time, the famous "Abbey Cent" (the following is from the Heritage auction catalog of Walter Husak's large cent collection sale 2/15/2008, where it sold for $161,000. I attended this sale, the most electrifying auction I have ever participated in):

where the s-79 sold to holmes for over $1mil?

I like the Abbey cent for two reasons: First, it has a pedigree back to the 1840's! Secondly, I have seen this one in-hand and it somehow captivated me. The color and surfaces are unlike any other 1799 cent I have seen in person.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file