Home U.S. Coin Forum

100th Anniversary ANA Medals - with compliments of foreign mints . . . . !

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 31, 2022 12:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Back in the fall of last year, I ran across and posted images of the the amazing proof-like medal below.

The "obverse" has a reproduction of the 1792 French Diplomatic Medal engraved by Augustin Dupre.

https://www.si.edu/object/diplomatic-medal-france-1792-paris-mint:nmah_1097464
https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1097464

The "reverse" has the inscription commemorating the ANA's 100th Anniversary.

It says, "With Compliments of the French Mint" so it was my assumption this medal this was minted by the Paris Mint and given to ANA dignitaries during the 1991 ANA Convention in Chicago. Further attempts at discovering additional information such as total quantities minted, to whom and how they were dispersed, went unanswered.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I found it's "twin" . . . . .

This time it is a medal by the The Royal British Mint. It has the same "complements" theme inscribed on the reverse.

This time, I received a bit more information on the medal. It looks like this might be #200 of 1,000 produced. So now I've been able to acquire the French and British medals commemorating the ANA's 100th Anniversary.

I am thinking that China, and possibly other nations minted similar pieces. Has anyone seen a contemporary to these commemorative medals?

Thanks in advance.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I especially favor the second medal with the Eagle and the Lion.... I cannot add any information, but thanks for the images. Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are amazing medals!

I like the ANA medals from the Shanghai Mint that PCGS slabs as well.

It would be nice if the US Mint made medals for ANA conventions too!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 8:41AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    Back in the fall of last year, I ran across and posted images of the the amazing proof-like medal below.

The "obverse" has a reproduction of the 1792 French Diplomatic Medal engraved by Augustin Dupre.

https://www.si.edu/object/diplomatic-medal-france-1792-paris-mint:nmah_1097464
    https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1097464

The "reverse" has the inscription commemorating the ANA's 100th Anniversary.

It says, "With Compliments of the French Mint" so it was my assumption this medal this was minted by the Paris Mint and given to ANA dignitaries during the 1991 ANA Convention in Chicago. Further attempts at discovering additional information such as total quantities minted, to whom and how they were dispersed, went unanswered.

Great medal! I'll have to keep an eye out for one!

I was hoping the same die was used for this piece but the designs are clearly different:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/954318/newps-washington-diplomatic-medal

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of those medals were for sale at the 1991 ANA Chicago convention. I recall the British one in particular.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Those are amazing medals!

I like the ANA medals from the Shanghai Mint that PCGS slabs as well.

It would be nice if the US Mint made medals for ANA conventions too!

Some of those designs are particularly fetching.

I picked up the 2017 already with images of the Great Wall of China and Pikes Peak Gold on the reverse. Now I'm chasing the 2018 at an affordable price.

The US Mint cannot handle their current workload of bullion chasers. I doubt that they would find it "profitable" to market to a much smaller audience.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Many of those medals were for sale at the 1991 ANA Chicago convention. I recall the British one in particular.

Do you recall any nations other than England and France who offered similar?

Z

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@291fifth said:

Do you recall any nations other than England and France who offered similar?

Z

Unfortunately, the passage of more than 30 years has erased much of the detail of the offerings. I bought the British one. That is why I remember it. (It is long gone.)

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file