Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Eagle's armpit. A new 1944 Washington variety?

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am NOT a variety guy. While looking for Washingtons for my Washington toner Danscos, I found this 1944 Washington. If you look at the eagle's left armpit (right side of reverse) you will see a raised feature trending from 7 o'clock to 1 o'clock. As far as I can figure out, it is not the result of a clash. I checked my Cherrypickers Guide (4th edition), and didn't find anything. Clearly the die had to have had a gouge in it to create this feature. Is this considered a variety or some sort of damage? Is this something worthwhile to send into Coneca? Thank you! The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

Comments

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 12:54PM

It's a die clash - you can see the outline of Washington's queue. Similar die clashes are found on many dates in the series.

A recessed part of the design creates a corresponding raised area on a coin struck by a clashed die. The more prominent ridge on the eagle's wing corresponds to the recessed area between Washington's queue and his neck.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

Love the overlay.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 2:55PM

Excellent, thank you!

I only assumed a clash would come from the outer part of George's queue, as that has a sharp delineation. It's interesting to see that in this case it appears to be part of the queue adjoining the neck. I am surprised, given all the Washingtons over all the years that I've looked at them, that this is the first time I've seen this.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great overlays.... I have to learn how to do that.... and good pictures in the OP.... Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

For anyone that's interested, those overlays are available on the mad die clash site. IMO, it's a site worth bookmarking

http://www.maddieclashes.com/denominational-overlays/

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also see the corner of George's Chin/Neck on the eagle's other wing. At first I thought it was a gouge, or lamination that stuck.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file