Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealer Vince Blume has passed

I just learned that long time Fairfield CT dealer Vince Blume passed away last night (1/29/22). I do not know the cause. Will update when more info is available.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really sorry to hear that.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to his family and friends. I first met Vince in the 1990s at a Bay State show when it was held in one of those hotels that broke up the bourse floor into five or six smaller rooms and you felt like a rat in a maze trying to find specific dealers. I'd plucked a low grade 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent out of a bag of cents and he paid me very fair money for the coin. I have had many conversations at coins shows with him since then.

RIP, Vince.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes my condolences to his family, Rest In Peace my friend. May you have all the coins you ever wanted.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to the family. I met Vince at the Parsippany show many years ago. I bought my first DMPL from him still have it

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to family and friends. RickO

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Vince helped me out immensely early in my career. One of the most knowledgeable numismatists around.

More than that though, he was an extraordinarily interesting, generous and unique person I'm glad to have called a friend. Shows and auctions in New England and Tri state area are certainly not going to feel the same.

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry to read about this.
    Vince was a nice guy. He used to pal around with Gary Parietti. They would visit my Long Beach table to see Bill Graham from Spokane when he attended the show.
    My condolences to Vince's family

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 9:33AM

I've known Vince since the 1990s and the Westchester shows He was always friendly and willing to talk about coins even though I wasn't one of his big customers. My condolences to his family.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is sad when one of the greats go. :(
    I too talked to him at a Bay state show where I did buy a gem grade 1909 S VDB coin (not from him).
    Rip Vince.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. He was a regular at a lot of the coin shows I attended in Connecticut and NY and I purchased several Civil War tokens and store cards for my modest collection. He was very knowledgeable on the subject, and on the war in general. He was a pleasure to deal and talk with. RIP.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Condolences to his family and friends. I first met Vince in the 1990s at a Bay State show when it was held in one of those hotels that broke up the bourse floor into five or six smaller rooms and you felt like a rat in a maze trying to find specific dealers. I'd plucked a low grade 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent out of a bag of cents and he paid me very fair money for the coin. I have had many conversations at coins shows with him since then.

RIP, Vince.

Nice eulogy, Tom.

I echo the RIP.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2022 3:48AM

Condolences to Vince's friends and family.

I didn't know Vinny, but I spent some time looking him up.

Here's an CoinWorld article from 1977 where he was mentioned when he joined Hudson Valley Rare Coins.

Hudson Valley Rare Coins with the addition of a new partner Vince Blume has changed its name. Vince's special areas of interest are half and large cents and early pre 1810 type coins. We both have the original Hudson Valley commitment to quality coins for the serious collector and investor. We will be running a series of three ads featuring silver dollars commemorative halves and then a small but exciting offering of classic type

Ref: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/549578?page=64

His company, Fairchild Numismatics, was mentioned in the following April 7, 2018 show report for the Westchester Coin and Stamp Show.

The usual dealers were there Mark Simon, Ed Doran Coins, Fairchester Numismatics, Dart Coins, and a number of others.

Ref: http://www.coinzip.com/articlesPage.php?i=108

• Options
    edited February 2, 2022 4:08AM

Here's a nice letter thanking Vince from Eric Chipman to the TAMS Journal in 2012.

It's nice to see that his impact was large enough for Eric to write such a long letter and dive into Bryan Money and So-Called Dollars.

Ref: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/523785?page=21

• Options

Calling @ColonelJessup, who was Vince's partner in 1980-1982.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2022 4:43AM

Here's one of Vince's coins. It would be great to see more of his coins in remembrance.

1787 New Jersey Copper - Pronounced Outline to Shield
    Catalog: Maris 48-g, W-5275
    Grade: PCGS VF35
    Pedigree: Fairchester Numismatics (Vince Blume), Carolina Colonial Coin Collection

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first DMPL from Vince in 2018

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file