Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quarter Eagle Indian Set Finally Finished.. almost!

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2022 4:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

It took a while and there's no show stoppers, but I'm finished for now.. Only the 11-D remains! Special shoutout to @SurfinxHI and @jwitten as they helped me obtain 99% of these. I highly recommend them both!

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set of those little gold beauties.... I never tried to build a set of those... I should, I really like the gold Indian. I would do the $5 coins though... Have to think about it... Really do not want to get into such a project, but I sure do like them. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Very nice set of those little gold beauties.... I never tried to build a set of those... I should, I really like the gold Indian. I would do the $5 coins though... Have to think about it... Really do not want to get into such a project, but I sure do like them. Cheers, RickO

I'm thinking about the $5 Indians next... lol

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set you have there!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of those may slow the show down.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set - That 11-D (price) is a set stopper :'(

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I used to own that purple 1913. I bought it from Jon then sold it back to him a few years later. Was curious where it ended up!

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. I've become more interested in these as of late.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats the gold quarter eagle Indian series is a fun set to put together, I hope someday that you will find an 11-D to fully finish it out

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! The purple toner is
    probably my favorite :)

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite an accomplishment.
    Gold Indians inspire most of us.
    The reverse of the 1909 shows tremendous detail.
    Hope you acquire that '11 D and pursue the $5.00 Indian set.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. Way to go.
    Your post really inspired me to search my archives and find the ones I have. There is no way my wife would let me go forward with completing the set :blush: because of the deal we have (that no gold coin should cost more than a slight premium over spot) and guess it is the end of the road and will remain an eternal bucket list item for me to complete this set unless I hit some sort of a Jackpot and collect the proceeds in all forms of eagles. >:)
    Wish you the very best to land the one eluding you.
    Cheers.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 11-D? Asking for a friend....! o:)

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's impressive @massscrew , congrats :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Very nice! The purple toner is
    probably my favorite :)

Hi, just curious how the quarter eagle and california gold token achieved the purple rainbow toning? From an album? Yellow flip?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool set! :)

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2022 1:18PM

Wow, beautiful. B)

I've mostly been collecting modern proof eagles and have doing a mad push of my collection to get everything graded with PCGS for the last 2+ years. I wouldnt have the funds to chase such a collection as this tho.
    But 1 coin I really wished for since a wee yungin' when I never had the $$$ to acquire one was an Indian quarter or half eagle. I always liked the incuse minting. So last year I plunked the dough down and snagged me a $5 piece from APMEX. I chose an MS63 1912 over the 1909s that were also available, as it was in the affordable range for that grade, and I think the population was lower.
    However, the specimen I got was a little more on the tarnished / brown-ish side, much like your 2014 (trueview pic) and a couple others. Was hoping for a bit more gold glow in MS63, but what can you expect from a 110+yr old coin?
    The "true" look in person is a bit more lackluster than this TV pic ...

• Options
    edited February 1, 2022 2:28PM

@stawick said:
    Wow, beautiful. B)

I've mostly been collecting modern proof eagles and have doing a mad push of my collection to get everything graded with PCGS for the last 2+ years. I wouldnt have the funds to chase such a collection as this tho.
    But 1 coin I really wished for since a wee yungin' when I never had the $$$ to acquire one was an Indian quarter or half eagle. I always liked the incuse minting. So last year I plunked the dough down and snagged me a $5 piece from APMEX. I chose an MS63 1912 over the 1909s that were also available, as it was in the affordable range for that grade, and I think the population was lower.
    However, the specimen I got was a little more on the tarnished / brown-ish side, much like your 2014 (trueview pic) and a couple others. Was hoping for a bit more gold glow in MS63, but what can you expect from a 110+yr old coin?
    The "true" look in person is a bit more lackluster than this TV pic ...

Throw it on Ebay and put the funds towards one you like better.. If it bothers you now, it will never stop...JMHO

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2022 9:32AM

Opinion welcome, I'll keep that in consideration. That is a good approach, the "next" one will only cost me the overage from what I can get for this. I'm not much of a flipper tho.
    Looking at it again, its not all that bad, so I'll sit on it for a while. It HAS appreciated in price since I bought it.
    I wonder if a restoration would help with eye appeal?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file