Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 American Eagle Gold Proof 4-Coin Set

I purchased a 2019 American Eagle Gold Proof 4-Coin Set from the US Mint for my grandson at the time of his birth.

From a value perspective, is it better to leave the set in the US Mint box with their own coin holders or have the 4 coins graded and encapsulated by PCGS?

Comments

  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Have you opened the shipping box ?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Yes, the box was opened but the coins have remained inside the coin holders.

  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

    If you get Pr 70 on them they will be worth more then just encapsulated..

    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

    Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CoinCrazyPA said:
    If you get Pr 70 on them they will be worth more then just encapsulated..

    Key word is 'if.'

    Sorry to say, but a 69 will be a loser.

    That's the chance you take.

  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Leave them as is. 4- coins all coming back the same grade is a long shot. Most of the 70 sets are put together from multiple submissions. At 69 the value is similar to OGP.
    😉 My 2- cents

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Leave them as is

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2022 3:35PM

    I sent my 2000 4-coin gold set in for grading maybe last year? I didnt realize they had some sort of "haze" on them - didnt see that when I sent it in, but maybe I just missed it?? (Does that ever happen in shipping?) Mine came back 69 ($5), 67 ($10), and 2 68s ($25 and $50). OUCH!! FAR WORSE than I was expecting. :s I hardly ever opened the container or even looked at them in 20 yrs. NEVER opened the capsules at all.
    YMMV - hope yours works out better.

    Here's the 67 - razzmfrazzm&(&)()_)(*&%^ :#
    (You'd think I'd catch THAT before I sent it out. dunno
    That has the most haze. The 1 oz has just a bit, the others just graded the way they did.)

  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    stawick. Sorry to hear about that. Lately I’ve been having the grandson (8) use those young eyes to help grandpa with just such things.

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stawick said:
    I sent my 2000 4-coin gold set in for grading maybe last year? I didnt realize they had some sort of "haze" on them - didnt see that when I sent it in, but maybe I just missed it?? (Does that ever happen in shipping?) Mine came back 69 ($5), 67 ($10), and 2 68s ($25 and $50). OUCH!! FAR WORSE than I was expecting. :s I hardly ever opened the container or even looked at them in 20 yrs. NEVER opened the capsules at all.
    YMMV - hope yours works out better.

    Here's the 67 - razzmfrazzm&(&)()_)(*&%^ :#
    (You'd think I'd catch THAT before I sent it out. dunno)

    That's a real shame.

  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

    @Goldbully said:

    @stawick said:
    I sent my 2000 4-coin gold set in for grading maybe last year? I didnt realize they had some sort of "haze" on them - didnt see that when I sent it in, but maybe I just missed it?? (Does that ever happen in shipping?) Mine came back 69 ($5), 67 ($10), and 2 68s ($25 and $50). OUCH!! FAR WORSE than I was expecting. :s I hardly ever opened the container or even looked at them in 20 yrs. NEVER opened the capsules at all.
    YMMV - hope yours works out better.

    Here's the 67 - razzmfrazzm&(&)()_)(*&%^ :#
    (You'd think I'd catch THAT before I sent it out. dunno)

    That's a real shame.

    Yeah, I was so disappointed when I got these back. Especially since I did this just because they were the Y2K millennium kinda deal. It was a financial stretch back then, but I took the plunge.

  • Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ok, that just plain sucks!

  • stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

    Just 1 more thing ... (or 2 ...)
    This was also unexpected because my track record on getting my AGEs graded wasnt too bad. A good mix of 69s (mostly) & 70s with maybe 1 dog 68, going back to the 80s - graded in the last couple years. My other similar disappointment (but not on this scale) was the 2 Proof 67 2020-W ASEs (bought from the mint).

    Also - I misread the OP as 2009 4 coin set, and its a 2019 set, much more recent, less chance for anything to happen. I hope I didnt scare that person off; my case is probably a bad 1-off situation. And didnt mean to hijack the thread, sorry.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BC799.... Welcome aboard. My personal recommendation is to keep them as is.... It is unlikely that if submitted, you would get four PR70's.... and then, as slabs, they would not be as attractive (for display) as in a set. Cheers, RickO

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MsMorrisine said:
    Leave them as is

    I like this idea as well

  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Leave them as they came.
    I would package the mint set package into an additional package so the mint box does not get damaged.
    It is nice to hear that you will pass this down to your grandson.
    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file