Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 16 (1896-O - 1897-S)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 27, 2022 5:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

After 1895 Morgans alternate between very common, semi-key, and surprisingly difficult. Some of these dates are frequently encountered but rarely in high grade or with good eye appeal. Many are also overlooked and there are some real challenges in these next few groups. Toners are much rarer with the exception of 1904-O and most mirrored coins exhibit little contrast although there are a few cameos for certain dates (e.g. 97-S, 98-S, 04-O)

1896-O is a bear of a date and extremely tough in attractive mint state. The total population graded higher than 64 is … 3. It is not too hard to find a nice one in high AU but since there isn’t a huge price jump to MS I went for it. This one has great eye appeal, lovely original toning and is very well struck.

1896-O MS62 CAC

Before the Bancroft hoard, I would have said that 1896-S is the single most difficult date/MM for which to find a nice example in my price range. They don’t come up often and when they do, most are ugly. The Bancroft hoard, however, seems to have quite a few fresh (although marked up) examples largely in the MS62 range. These have been selling pretty much weekly on Great Collections for the past few months. The general unattractiveness and bag-marked characteristics of the date make the MS69 example all the more amazing. There are only 10 other grading events at PCGS higher than 65!

1896-S AU53 CAC

1897 is a pretty common date up until 65 but PL examples don’t command much of a premium despite being fairly difficult to locate. It is a very hard date to find toned but still the easiest of the 5 dates in this entry. I know of two rainbow examples, one of which is for sale now. My 65PL has a very clean cheek, strong luster, and a hammered strike. The fields are smooth and nicely reflective although without much cameo (as is typical).

1897 MS65PL

1897-O, like 1896-S is an under-appreciated date. Not as rare or expensive as the 96-O but man is it hard to find a nice one, especially in MS. This one is a nice match for my 86-O and 96-O, which are similarly difficult in the low MS range but are clean with nice eye appeal. Super original look and great strike.

1897-O MS61 CAC

1897-S is about as common as the Philly version but also comes a bit nicer, generally. I have seen some very appealing examples in the 64-66 range with PL or DMPL surfaces. This coin was bright white when I bought it but it has toned a bit in the holder. The obverse is borderline DMPL and the reverse is easily DMPL. Very flashy with nice contrast.

1897-S MS64+ CAC

As always, please post comments, questions or your own Morgans from this range!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another great installment @david3142 ... And thank you for the insightful narrative that accompanies each coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins once again! B)
    How anyone can not appreciate the beauty of the Morgan Dollar makes me wonder...

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins for grade and obviously chosen with care. I like the '97 O as especially nice. 61? Really? Must be hairlines in hand or something else.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@LeeBone said:
    Great coins once again! B)
    How anyone can not appreciate the beauty of the Morgan Dollar makes me wonder...

Thanks! I would also hope to dispel the notion that all Morgans look alike. I think it is plain to see that Morgans offer a huge variety of surface texture and luster, in addition to dramatic differences in toning and PL/DMPL qualities.

@7Jaguars - the 97-O is not hairlined but the luster is a bit muted from the toning. I would grade the coin 62. Perhaps they graded it like a CBH and thought it might have a touch of friction so the AU58/MS62 split became a 61? I would be very curious to know what this coin would look like dipped but I am definitely not trying it!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins once again. Any plans to add in the Top 40 Vams?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep up the great postings of this fabulous collection.
    The written details are really appreciated.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Nice coins once again. Any plans to add in the Top 40 Vams?

Thank you. I have the VAM book and I used to attribute my Morgans but I’m not as interested in varieties anymore.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins & commentary as usual, thanks for sharing. Your 96-O and 97-O are special as MS are so tough to come by. The original toning on the 96-O makes it even rarer that it was never dipped. All very high end for the grades.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, too, love the commentary!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins! :)

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭

As always, thanks for sharing!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file