Home U.S. Coin Forum

An 1816 Mint Set

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe it or not, here is an 1816 mint set. This was all the mint issued that year.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

Tom

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins!
    Couldn't help but notice the obverse rim/denticle issue on both coins. (1 - 3 o'clock) Is that a die issue common to all 1816s?

• bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Great Coins guys!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are Randel Hoard cents. They are not as common as the 1818 and 1820 cents, but not overly hard to find.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for a nice 1816 Large Cent in PCGS AU-58 for several years.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2022 7:23PM

@rip_f said:
    Beautiful coins!
    Couldn't help but notice the obverse rim/denticle issue on both coins. (1 - 3 o'clock) Is that a die issue common to all 1816s?

It’s common to the N1,2, and 3 varieties, that all share the same obverse. Most of the 1816 cents in the Randall hoard were N2.

Here’s an N4 - I over exposed it a bit to show the rim areas:

The late die states of N8 also show multiple obverse rim breaks, mentioned for accuracy, but I’m getting into the weeds….

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably reflects the issues leftover from 1815.

there is some good material out there discussing significant issues that strongly dictated how, what, when, how many and of what quality was issued from year to year. following the mintages and gaps in years is a study unto itself. not to mention design changes.

lovely chocolate you have there BJ.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way 😎

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! They don't make 'em like that anymore. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Believe it or not, here is an 1816 mint set. This was all the mint issued that year.

1816 is better known as the "year without a summer", caused by the eruption of Mount Tambora in 1815. I just found out in this article ( https://www.pcgs.com/news/1816-the-year-without-a-summer ) that the U.S. mint had additional difficulties caused by a fire in January 1816 that shut down all coinage operations. I wonder if that was caused by creosote buildup in one of the many chimneys during what must have been a frigid winter?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brianc1959 said:

@BillJones said:

1816 is better known as the "year without a summer", caused by the eruption of Mount Tambora in 1815. I just found out in this article ( https://www.pcgs.com/news/1816-the-year-without-a-summer ) that the U.S. mint had additional difficulties caused by a fire in January 1816 that shut down all coinage operations. I wonder if that was caused by creosote buildup in one of the many chimneys during what must have been a frigid winter?

From what I have read, the fire started from a rubbish bin that near the property.

• brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@brianc1959 said:

@BillJones said:

From what I have read, the fire started from a rubbish bin that near the property.

OK, I used to think of 1816 as the "Year Without a Summer". Because of you I'm now going to think of it as "The Year of the Dumpster Fire"!

BTW, that's a very nice 1816 cent in your OP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file