Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Box of 21: 1888 Mint Set

brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I saw a nice 1888 gold dollar and 1888 MS65 red IHC that fit in my type set. I think it was a Heritage auction, and back in those days a normal person could still win auctions - so I did! At the time it occurred to me that 1888 would make a good mint set (year set?) candidate because all 21 of the coins were obtainable in mint state for a reasonable price. Some other plusses:

• Lots of gold (10 coins, $86.50 face value)
  • Lots of denominations (13)
  • Lots of type coins (in my case currently 1c, 25c, gold 1$, 3$)
  • A number of low-mintage coins (25c, 50c, $2.5, $3, $5)
  • One pseudo-rarity ($5)
  • Did I mention, lots of gold?

On the minus side:

• No CC mintmarked coins
  • Does not fit into a box of 20 :'(

This past fall I completed the set with a 3 dollar gold piece, which I also needed for my type set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1888-mint-set-gold/album/171209

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty awesome!!

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

P.S.: I notice that a member here (santinidollar) posted a really cool 1888 proof set just a month ago: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1067710/1888-proof-set

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set. I am finding it difficult to find a nice $3 piece for my type set. Congrats. Now you can move on to a new year. It will get expensive if you pick a year with CC coins. Those have become very expensive.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set, congrats!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always wanted to collect Gold, but never committed myself.
    Just Silver. Fits my pocketbook better.
    Beautiful coins, dude!
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice set.... and a good year.... 8 is an Asian good luck number..... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is a very nice set.... and a good year.... 8 is an Asian good luck number..... Cheers, RickO

Good point - I had forgotten that.

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Beautiful coins, dude!

I used to feel the same way about gold, but I may have got in far enough to be trapped!

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Great looking set. I am finding it difficult to find a nice $3 piece for my type set. Congrats. Now you can move on to a new year. It will get expensive if you pick a year with CC coins. Those have become very expensive.

$3 gold is tough, and they've always seemed overpriced to me. But I regret not buying a few years ago when they were a lot less expensive than they are now.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

“back in those days a normal person could still win auctions - so I did!”

I hear ya….very true, too.

What a sweet set! Congrats. ⭐️

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

GREAT Set! From a mint set lover...

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat! There was a nice logic to your selection of the year 1888. I'm beginning to work on a year set to honor my grandparents. It's so tempting to mix proofs and mint states.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set you have there. I always liked that year too.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @brianc1959 , that's a nice accomplishment :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet that was fun to put together. Congrats!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

SUPER LOOKING SET.(AWESOME)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set!! I have always been partial to the 1888-S Morgan. Your gem is very impressive!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fun project. Sometimes it's nice to do something unconventional instead of following the herd. Not many people try to complete "mint sets" in this fashion. You chose nice coins, too!

On a less serious note, I have a 1988 mint set right here. Wanna trade? Mine is 100 years better. :p

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and I love the presentation. I did something similar with 1900 but didn’t include all mint marks. I need to up my game :). Thanks for sharing.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing set and journey! Congrats on a wonderful accomplishment!

• Options

Thanks for all the kind comments! I really enjoy using mint sets as a way of building up my type set, and I'm working on several others. If other collectors can get some inspiration from this then so much the better.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking set. Congrats on completing it. I've thought about doing a year set, but I have a long way to go on my type sets that it would just be a distraction at this time. Once I complete some of the other type sets I'm working on, I may give it a go.

Thanks for sharing.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like bending type with year (mint or proof) sets, adds to the challenge and gives one an excuse to buy more coins.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just ran across this, very nice!

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set! You've got some beautiful coins there!!!!!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Surprised to see this old thread resurrected - thanks for the kind comments. One of these days I'll try to upgrade a few of the coins, such as the half dollar.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brianc1959 said:

@joeykoins said:
    Beautiful coins, dude!

I used to feel the same way about gold, but I may have got in far enough to be trapped!

Yeah, me to brother!
    I bought my first DE raw, just a generic date. But there was just something about holding a coin roughly the size of a 50 cent piece, and it weighing approximately the same as a silver dollar, that I really liked. I was hooked!😂

Beautiful set you put together. Definitely something to be proud of.
    Congrats!

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

Super neat, congratulations!

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file