Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Littleton Coin Company

Has anyone dealt with?

Comments

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Buying, selling or both?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

    Buying.

  • Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Don't

  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Agree with the above, special offers can be great but generally overpriced common stuff.

    Vplite99
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It’s like anything else. They have a large variety of products. Their coin albums ( the fancier type,similar to Dansco) are reasonably priced and good quality.
    Personally I shop them like I shop anywhere else, Caveat Emptor. They have a great selection of ancients and medieval coins.

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

    Well I fell for a uncirculated $2 bill promotional face value and was sent a whole bag of coins to review and either be billed for or return what I didn't need. I thought that rather presumptuous.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pass. I got my. Coin dealers already

  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You do get exactly what you order, if you're buying an 'XF', that's exactly what it will be.
    They're great to sell to !

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 2:15PM

    @charlesf20 said:
    Well I fell for a uncirculated $2 bill promotional face value and was sent a whole bag of coins to review and either be billed for or return what I didn't need. I thought that rather presumptuous.

    You have to play the game. The first round of approvals that accompanies the introductory offer almost always includes a postage-paid return mailer. Just return the approvals and politely note on the invoice that you don't want them to send any more.

    If you let it go to subsequent rounds of approvals, you have to pay to return those.

    I have gotten golden dollars, uncirculated $2 bills, etc. at face value, and some SEs and some foreign bullion at "their cost" (very decent prices, in any case).

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I will add that in the 1970s and maybe 80s they seemed to be the primary source for tbe Bashlow Confederate cent restrikes of the early 1960s. I sure wish I had loaded up on them back then.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thebeav said:

    They're great to sell to !

    I've heard they are extremely picky and will reject a lot of what you offer them.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My local club had a donation of the early presidential dollar, from Washington to Buchanan, that had been packaged by Littleton Coin Company. The quality of these pieces was excellent. They had no spots or visible marks on any of them. If you will looking for best in this type of coin, you could look no further.

    The sad part was that there was no collector interest in them among our members. I ended up getting face value for them.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My Mother once ordered a coin for me (she was not a collector, saw a magazine ad)... It was an ASE, colorized. After that, she got some coins for evaluation, sent them back - kept coming. Told me, I sent them a letter with the last batch, it ended. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 7:58AM

    @PerryHall said:

    @thebeav said:

    They're great to sell to !

    I've heard they are extremely picky and will reject a lot of what you offer them.

    Oh, they're picky, but they pay top dollar.
    They sell coins that are generally perfect for the grade, so they have to buy the same way.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 4:02PM

    It is a little funny. Everyone is really describing Littleton as they would describe themselves: only buying top quality, selling to pay for top quality, putting care into storage, and wanting top dollar when they sell.

  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's very much a 1940s/1950s/1960s business model, from an era when every small town didn't have a stamp&coin shop.

    A very attractive initial offer, accurately graded items, full retail prices, and an approval service to keep you as a customer.

    Lots of people don't read the small print, go bat crazy over the approval items, and then call them crooks or worse (esp. on Reddit). If you don't bother to read the offer, you might be surprised.

    I've never heard of anyone getting a hard time by returning the items with a note asking to have the service canceled, returning the items and calling customer service, emailing customer service, etc.

    There were others with the same or similar business models: You might (if you are of an age) recall Columbia House - 12 albums for 1c, just buy 12 more over the next 12 months.

    I was at a show a few years back, OKC IIRC, when one of their buyers showed up with a giant rolling Pelican case. Went through a couple dozen dealer's inventory, drove firm-but-fair bargains, paid with checks that cleared,and he left with several hundred thousand dollars of quality coins. Let's just say that walking the show behind him was a different experience than walking the show ahead of him.

    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BStrauss3 said:

    I was at a show a few years back, OKC IIRC, when one of their buyers showed up with a giant rolling Pelican case. Went through a couple dozen dealer's inventory, drove firm-but-fair bargains, paid with checks that cleared,and he left with several hundred thousand dollars of quality coins. Let's just say that walking the show behind him was a different experience than walking the show ahead of him.

    Their business model must have changed. In checking their website today it appears they only deal with low value coins. There were virtually no PCGS graded coins available.

  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DisneyFan said:
    Their business model must have changed. In checking their website today it appears they only deal with low value coins. There were virtually no PCGS graded coins available.

    Nowhere did I say they were purchasing slabbed coins, did I?

    One of the things I like about the Oklahoma Numismatic Association show is that it's not just endless rows of PCGS slabbed Morgans. In the times before, there were always substantial quantities of raw coins and other slabbers. Some of which might even be considered reputable.

    Littleton definitely knows and buys for (and sells) their audience's sweet spot.

    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In my dealings, I have picked up some nice Littleton pieces, grade qualities are good and I'm very glad I didn't pay retail. I don't like the pre-approval subscription model but that's just me. Peace Roy

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool. Now your up a $2 bill and how nice is that. I’d say you did alright. Congratulations

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 11:08AM

    I did the Littleton Coin thing about 50 years ago when I was a kid. Hated the promotional coins that I always sent back.

    The Columbia House Music Club was actually a fantastic deal if you gamed the system >:) My dog even had an account. Because my dog had an account, somehow he then got an offer for a credit card :o

    Gaming the system .....

    https://longreads.com/2014/12/09/a-history-of-stealing-music-from-record-club-memberships/

  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BStrauss3 said:

    @DisneyFan said:
    Their business model must have changed. In checking their website today it appears they only deal with low value coins. There were virtually no PCGS graded coins available.

    Nowhere did I say they were purchasing slabbed coins, did I?

    One of the things I like about the Oklahoma Numismatic Association show is that it's not just endless rows of PCGS slabbed Morgans. In the times before, there were always substantial quantities of raw coins and other slabbers. Some of which might even be considered reputable.

    Littleton definitely knows and buys for (and sells) their audience's sweet spot.

    No disrespect. Since we are on a PCGS website I was thinking of PCGS graded coins. I'm always looking for a new source.

  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When my kids were younger they loved getting the coins in the mail to go through and pick out the ones they like. But that was about the extent of Littleton that I had experience with.

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @charlesf20 said:

    @JBK said:

    postage-paid return mailer. Just return the approvals and politely note on the invoice that you don't want them to send any more.

    If you let it go to subsequent rounds of approvals, you have to pay to return those.

    >

    Yes that's what I did last evening. Thanks.

    That's the way to do it. :)

    I will say that if you follow the rules it is quite an easy process.

    Some of the offers even say for new collectors only, but I've never been turned away. A few times they even omitted the approval coins and just sent me the loss leader special offer I ordered.

    On the flip side when I was ready to buy a particular set of Depression scrip from SC that they had advertised in their catalog literally for decades (I think they had cornered the market on that particular issue) I just ordered the set and paid the cost. It was a somewhat unusual item not widely available elsewhere and the price did not break the bank.

  • Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

    Do you think this is Mike "Sleezack's" "Nationally advertised catalog" he is always referring to?

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2022 2:39AM

    @GiveMeProof said:
    Do you think this is Mike "Sleezack's" "Nationally advertised catalog" he is always referring to?

    I'm sure of it. ;)

  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BStrauss3 said:

    I was at a show a few years back, OKC IIRC, when one of their buyers showed up with a giant rolling Pelican case. Went through a couple dozen dealer's inventory, drove firm-but-fair bargains, paid with checks that cleared,and he left with several hundred thousand dollars of quality coins. Let's just say that walking the show behind him was a different experience than walking the show ahead of him.

    Their business model must have changed. In checking their website today it appears they only deal with low value coins. There were virtually no PCGS graded coins available.

    They still buy and sell quite a bit of higher value coins. Most of these can't be bought in the kind of quantity needed to advertise nationally. I'm sure if you select higher value approvals you'll soon see some. But odds are good they have multiple customer bases.

    These are largely assumptions.

    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file